Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Why hasn’t this been made a poll
I want as much money as possible for the future but curious how many cherish the history more.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess "The Waffle House" is no longer a possibility...
I don't know,,,the "All Star Special" Field at BDS brought to you by the Waffle House has a certain ring. I can even recall Al saying during the broadcasts "it's a great place to eat, a great place to work". I have had a long term relationship with the Waffle House going back to my childhood and have even had an unrequited crush on a few of the waittresses there so I am still behind them 100% no matter the recent unpleasantness. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here bobongo! ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why hasn’t this been made a poll
I want as much money as possible for the future but curious how many cherish the history more.
I think Tech should be careful to preserve the history of Grant Field as best it can within the parameters of increasing revenues. If we don't generate more funds, the tradition we're trying to protect will be in our rear-view mirror. Whatever they call it, it will still be the oldest venue in Division I football. I'd be surprised if the name "Grant Field" is dropped from the name, and there's no possibility that "Bobby Dodd Stadium" will disappear. I don't think it's an either/or situation. It's time for compromise. Ideally, Tech would never consider it. I doubt Ugag would consider it for Sanford Stadium because they don't need the money. But we do, and IIWII. I do think we should be careful about it, though. It won't be forever. It will be a terminal contract.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't know,,,the "All Star Special" Field at BDS brought to you by the Waffle House has a certain ring. I can even recall Al saying during the broadcasts "it's a great place to eat, a great place to work". I have had a long term relationship with the Waffle House going back to my childhood and have even had an unrequited crush on a few of the waittresses there so I am still behind them 100% no matter the recent unpleasantness. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here bobongo! ;)
I'm starting to warm to the idea. Yeah, Waffle House babes rock! Maybe just name the concessions area after WH. They could serve the food in those hot little WH uniforms, and the food could be grilled up by besotted Waffle House fry cooks. And, we could call it the "smother and cover defense". Problem is, though, that WH spends no money on advertising:

"You won't see Waffle House on billboards or covering full-page magazine spreads. America's most ubiquitous full-service restaurant, at more than 1,900 locations, has let word-of-mouth marketing do its talking since 1955. The private company doesn't advertise and it likely won't anytime soon."

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech should be careful to preserve the history of Grant Field as best it can within the parameters of increasing revenues. If we don't generate more funds, the tradition we're trying to protect will be in our rear-view mirror. Whatever they call it, it will still be the oldest venue in Division I football. I'd be surprised if the name "Grant Field" is dropped from the name, and there's no possibility that "Bobby Dodd Stadium" will disappear. I don't think it's an either/or situation. It's time for compromise. Ideally, Tech would never consider it. I doubt Ugag would consider it for Sanford Stadium because they don't need the money. But we do, and IIWII. I do think we should be careful about it, though. It won't be forever. It will be a terminal contract.
If the price was right, those folks to east would be the biggest money whores in college football.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
If the price was right, those folks to east would be the biggest money whores in college football.
I think WAGA in Atlanta just announced that they are now the new home of the Georgia Bulldogs. That gives them WSB and WAGA. If TFG was still around we'd probably be sponsored by the Cartoon Network.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
“The historical significance of the Grant Field name, though, should not be understated amidst the news. Though football has been played on the site since 1905, the stadium as we know it today began to take shape from 1913, when grandstands were built; it became the full-time home of Tech football for the 1912 season. John Grant, a member of the Tech Board of Trustees and prominent Atlanta mogul, was the benefactor of the facility. Grant dedicated his gift in honor of his deceased son Hugh Inman Grant, who died at the age of 11 in 1906. Grant Field predates most campus buildings, with just the Hill older than the facility.”

”$15,000 in 1912 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $470,299.48 today, an increase of $455,299.48 over 111 years.“

Not an insignificant gift to honor one’s dead son and a school he admired.
You couldn't build even a modest stadium for $470K these days.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You couldn't build even a modest stadium for $470K these days.
You could build this:

1689023855547.png

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Indeed. And even if you could find a few students that had some level of hands on experience, they wouldn’t think of doing any free work for the greater good unless somehow they could qualify it as an internship for their resume.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Indeed. And even if you could find a few students that had some level of hands on experience, they wouldn’t think of doing any free work for the greater good unless somehow they could qualify it as an internship for their resume.
I didn't even mention the lousy homecoming displays either. Very little effort displayed (no pun intended).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I didn't even mention the lousy homecoming displays either. Very little effort displayed (no pun intended).
Back in the day when dropped the sec and had a home game w duke, one fraternity near stadium had very original display
Giant toilet w a Duke helmet in bowl that went up and down in sequence w a loud flushing sound on loop.
Sign said "Flush the Duky"

Hope the unc game has hype.
They have top qb

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
.... I'd be surprised if the name "Grant Field" is dropped from the name, and there's no possibility that "Bobby Dodd Stadium" will disappear. I don't think it's an either/or situation. It's time for compromise. Ideally, Tech would never consider it. I doubt Ugag would consider it for Sanford Stadium because they don't need the money. But we do, and IIWII. I do think we should be careful about it, though. It won't be forever. It will be a terminal contract.
While flipping thru TV channels yesterday I came across a program that happened to be on the SEC channel. What caught my eye was the discussion about Sewanee (the University of the South). Knowing that Andy McCollum is now their coach I decided to keep watching. What I learned:

1. It seems that they were the badasses of southern college football in 1899.
2. There was a southern college football championship game played in Atlanta that year. Sewanee played North Carolina
3. Sewanee claims to have the oldest "field" in continual use in all of college football.

Andy has a nice gig up there to possibly finish out his career. That's pretty cool place sitting up there on that mountain top.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I say let's go for it.
NCR Stadium at Historic Grant Field.
Ford should sponsor all the pregame stuff because the Ramblin Wreck is a Ford Model A. I've said this before but we should also have a custom Ford GT as a 21st century version Ramblin Wreck. I think this generation of players would love to run out with a fancy sports car. During long timeouts and halftime, UPS or Amazon could sponsor and fly a drone to take pics of fans and deliver prizes.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll be shocked if Grant or Dodd have their name anywhere in the new name. I’d prepare myself for <company name> Stadium.

If a company is forking out a lot of money, they’re not going to be one of three names. They’ll want to be the only name.