Collins in-game coaching

You fail to see the brand? He’s trying to connect the team to the city. Recruiting Atlanta is a component of that but he’s trying to make people in Atlanta think of Tech like they do the Falcons/Braves/Hawks/etc. Wafflehouse, bringing artists into practice, taking the team out to ATL games, “404theCulture.”

You honestly can’t see that? I mean I have questions about his gameday decisions right now too, but his off the field decisions have been a homerun so far. Remains to be seen if the former improves or if the latter results in a roster competitive enough to win games in the ACC without the option.
We really won't know how good his off-field efforts have been till the committed players actually sign. Let's hope they ALL do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was there and the ref was way over the top. Abruptly rushing in without giving coaches time

You are clearly after cgc from the get go. Seriously dreging the bottom for cpj who had the players yawning on the sideline.
Now, now. I do one post where I talk about what I see as a lack of team discipline and all of a sudden I'm "… after cgc from the get go"? No. I'm not and I never have been. I was very disappointed in our performance against Citadel - who wasn't? - and I really didn't like what I saw on the sidelines. I made the connection and I hope to see improvement. In all phases of the game. Getting serious about winning and looking like it would be a good start.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Still doesn't explain the off field discipline you bashed him for. Sidelines are part of the field. I'm sure CGC will make sure the non playing players will be quiet and somber when we get behind in a game from now on.

Using your logic, we as fans shouldn't yell on money downs, because as you said, enthusiasm doesn't translate to the performance on the field.

When you mention off field discipline, your referring to our standing in the Fulmer Cup. Which we are in a wonderful position.

Go Tech!
About that Fulmer Cup....we have been in a wonderful position, but it's up to CGC to see that we stay that way. Kinda like graduation rates. Too early to tell imo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Back to in-game coaching.

It can be difficult for me, and I suspect others, to tell the difference between bad play call, bad play design, and bad play execution.

Somebody earlier accused others of hypocrisy for accepting CPJ's losses last year and rejecting CGC's losses this year. However, that's clearly an accusation that can work both ways at first blush.

For example, we have guys who only talk about CPJ's record against FBS opponents as if FCS games don't count, don't contextualize it with the FBS record of other current coaches, and then do this while defending CGC for losing to an FCS team.

To really understand what's happening, we need to be able to actually break-down the individual plays or look at the statistics more closely. However, that's beside the point for those reacting emotionally.

Then there's this:
I still go back to 3rd and 1 and we call a TO allowing the best DC in the country time to draw up a play. That is just way to simple of a mistake. Then we have called a TO the second play coming out of the half against the Citadel.

Time outs are super important and every game this year I have seen mistakes made with them. And its such an easy thing to fix yet we have not improved.

If it's the timeout we called at like the CU 45 in the first half, I agree with the timeout. We were about to snap the ball with 5 guys behind the line of scrimmage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The risk / reward is not even close........just another example of learning on the job coaching.

It comes down to severity of any mistakes made. Repeat of game ending Citadel game....that wouldn’t go over well with many. Smaller mistakes or questionable / debatable calls. Depends on totality of how bad those are vs how good recruiting and especially winning is going.

Questionable decisions always get picked over after a loss and are more easily forgotten after a W.

Bottom line of everything is wins and losses though.

Animal02

Banned
Back to in-game coaching.

If it's the timeout we called at like the CU 45 in the first half, I agree with the timeout. We were about to snap the ball with 5 guys behind the line of scrimmage.
Well, maybe they should use the limited sideline credentials to have staff make sure the correct personnel and alignments on the field instead of have cheerleaders jump up and down with "money down" signs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, maybe they should use the limited sideline credentials to have staff make sure the correct personnel and alignments on the field instead of have cheerleaders jump up and down with "money down" signs.

Maybe. Or maybe a kid just made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong. I am inclined to think that CDP is in over his head. I haven't gone back and watched any of our games more than once in addition to live. So, I have my impressions. The first few days after the loss were for expressing my opinion about that. Like you, I found it extremely frustrating that the same fans who blasted our last coach after every loss and discounted even some of his wins for not being big enough, now seem to be perfectly fine with losing to an FCS team for the first time in 36 years.

With that being said, with over a week behind us after that loss, I'm for looking forward. I defended our last coach against what I consider to be baseless complaints, and I'll do the same for this coach.

Animal02

Banned
Maybe. Or maybe a kid just made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong. I am inclined to think that CDP is in over his head. I haven't gone back and watched any of our games more than once in addition to live. So, I have my impressions. The first few days after the loss were for expressing my opinion about that. Like you, I found it extremely frustrating that the same fans who blasted our last coach after every loss and discounted even some of his wins for not being big enough, now seem to be perfectly fine with losing to an FCS team for the first time in 36 years.

With that being said, with over a week behind us after that loss, I'm for looking forward. I defended our last coach against what I consider to be baseless complaints, and I'll do the same for this coach.
My point is that sideline credentials are limited. They should be used for people assisting with game time operation s, not wannabe cheerleaders. Even if a kid made a mistake.....having the extra eyes on the field, whether it is keeping track of time or bodies, would be more valuable. Hell even giving the credential to a celeb would be more valuable.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My point is that sideline credentials are limited. They should be used for people assisting with game time operation s, not wannabe cheerleaders. Even if a kid made a mistake.....having the extra eyes on the field, whether it is keeping track of time or bodies, would be more valuable. Hell even giving the credential to a celeb would be more valuable.

I understand. And, I agree with you a good bit of the time.

However, I think you're in danger of digging-in on every post to the extent that you risk becoming what you don't want to be.

Fwiw, he did have somebody on the sideline keeping track of bodies, that's why he called timeout.

Now, he still should apologize for blaming the ref for his boneheaded time management at the end of the Citadel game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Should lock every thread

My (less than) $.02. I really wish every poster would ask him/herself this question....have I posted this exact same thought/idea more than twice? If so, there is no need to repeat the exact same thing ad infinitum. It is tedious and dilutes the quality of the content. I for one scan the board less and less frequently because of its repetitive nature and feeling like finding a post that adds new insight or facts about GT FB is becoming more like panning for gold and all the posts have become a variation of the same themes. Some of you might say that winning will take care of it but, regardless of our W-L record, why hammer your individual point relentlessly to the point of becoming offensive or stale? I felt this way when Paul was the coach, I feel this way now and will feel the same way when our next guy gets here, whenever that may be.I realize that I do have the choice to withdraw from reading/participating (not that it matters) and I am doing that more and more lately.

Rant over.