Collins in-game coaching

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
One guy had 20-30 years of head coaching experience. Geoff has 2. Id expect plenty of growing pains in this area.

Managing the game is probably the thing I’ll miss post about Paul. He rarely, if ever made a mistake
I loved CPJ and felt he was great at in game adjustments. The idea to let ugag score as mentioned earlier was brilliant. I remember watching that play screaming at the poor effort in tackling only to realize a little bit later how brilliant it was (even if it didn't help). However, to say "He rarely, if ever made a mistake" is flat wrong. There were plenty of games where he mismanaged the clock, he constantly wasted time outs throughout the game, some of his play calls were baffling, and more. That to say, even coaches that are good game managers can make plenty of mistakes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Off field discipline??? You lost me. What issues off the field??

Do you just hate him that much that you will make stuff up?
I was at the Citadel game. Two instances:

• One of the things that made me most upset was the way Collins had picked three players to stand in front of our bench and try to lead cheers for the players on the field. As the game went on this became more and more forced ("If I don't act like I'm up for this, I'll never see the field!"). If a team has discipline, it has absolutely no need for such faked enthusiasm. Focus on the game by all the players is all that is needed. As I said in an earlier thread, it actually seems Collins thinks that enthusiasm, no matter how forced, on the sidelines will somehow translate to performance on the field. Nope. Never has, never will.

• The other instance in the game was when the refs issued a sideline interference warning to our bench. Many of the players and some of the coaches started jeering at the call. News Flash! When the refs call you for that, the coaches should push the players back and take the lead in reminding them that the next violation is a 15 yard penalty. Some of our coaches didn't do that. Ok, youthful high spirits and all that, I suppose. But the coaches ae supposed to be the adults on the field when stuff like this happens. They weren't.

When you are new at the job these kinds of things can happen. I certainly hope the staff is taking steps to increase team discipline both on and off the field.

And, just for the record, I don't hate our coach. Football isn't important enough to be something you hate someone about. I admit I'm disappointed so far, though I look for improvement, but that's it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

• One of the things that made me most upset was the way Collins had picked three players to stand in front of our bench and try to lead cheers for the players on the field. As the game went on this became more and more forced ("If I don't act like I'm up for this, I'll never see the field!"). If a team has discipline, it has absolutely no need for such faked enthusiasm. Focus on the game by all the players is all that is needed. As I said in an earlier thread, it actually seems Collins thinks that enthusiasm, no matter how forced, on the sidelines will somehow translate to performance on the field. Nope. Never has, never will.

• The other instance in the game was when the refs issued a sideline interference warning to our bench. Many of the players and some of the coaches started jeering at the call. News Flash! When the refs call you for that, the coaches should push the players back and take the lead in reminding them that the next violation is a 15 yard penalty. Some of our coaches didn't do that. Ok, youthful high spirits and all that, I suppose. But the coaches ae supposed to be the adults on the field when stuff like this happens. They weren't.

When you are new at the job these kinds of things can happen. I certainly hope the staff is taking steps to increase team discipline both on and off the field.

And, just for the record, I don't hate our coach. Football isn't important enough to be something you hate someone about. I admit I'm disappointed so far, though I look for improvement, but that's it.

So you are saying we need a "Get Bak!" Coach? Paging @kg01

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I was there and the ref was way over the top. Abruptly rushing in without giving coaches time

You are clearly after cgc from the get go. Seriously dreging the bottom for cpj who had the players yawning on the sideline.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Still doesn't explain the off field discipline you bashed him for. Sidelines are part of the field. I'm sure CGC will make sure the non playing players will be quiet and somber when we get behind in a game from now on.

Using your logic, we as fans shouldn't yell on money downs, because as you said, enthusiasm doesn't translate to the performance on the field.

When you mention off field discipline, your referring to our standing in the Fulmer Cup. Which we are in a wonderful position.

Go Tech!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So you are saying we need a "Get Bak!" Coach? Paging @kg01

Uhm ...

awk.gif

... see what had happn'd was ...

Animal02

Banned
He's also still learning how to be a good head coach. I think CGC has all the tangibles, but this is a learning season for him as well.
I just do not understand why people are so willing to throw away seasons for some nebulous "future" and accept a coach being paid millions to "learn on the job" This is not the pros where you assemble players for sometimes over a decade. It is really unfair to the current players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, things you just normally take for granted at this level. I’ll chalk that up to inexperience and other distractions, but that type of game mismanagement needs to disappear quickly.
Maybe he was busy grading the juice crew? ;) Just kidding. (Please don't ban me Cuse) But seriously, some of the culture change elements can be distracting to players and coaches alike on game day.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I just do not understand why people are so willing to throw away seasons for some nebulous "future" and accept a coach being paid millions to "learn on the job" This is not the pros where you assemble players for sometimes over a decade. It is really unfair to the current players.

Since you complain all the time about it, what's your solution? Should we fire CGC today and start over? Where would the money come from? At what point do you accept the reality that exists instead of the hypothetical that you think could have been? I'm just not certain what good you expect to come out of the incessant griping about our coaching hire. I'm on record as having hoped for Monken, and if not Monken, then Satterfield or Elliott at Clemson. CGC was way down my list of preferred candidates, but I don't make hiring decisions. Regardless, CGC was hired, and he now is the head coach of GT whether you or I like it or not. I will support CGC because I support the team. You talk about being unfair to the players? Not supporting their current coach, who they love, because you would rather further your agenda, is unfair to the players.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I still go back to 3rd and 1 and we call a TO allowing the best DC in the country time to draw up a play. That is just way to simple of a mistake. Then we have called a TO the second play coming out of the half against the Citadel.

Time outs are super important and every game this year I have seen mistakes made with them. And its such an easy thing to fix yet we have not improved.

Since you complain all the time about it, what's your solution? Should we fire CGC today and start over? Where would the money come from? At what point do you accept the reality that exists instead of the hypothetical that you think could have been? I'm just not certain what good you expect to come out of the incessant griping about our coaching hire. I'm on record as having hoped for Monken, and if not Monken, then Satterfield or Elliott at Clemson. CGC was way down my list of preferred candidates, but I don't make hiring decisions. Regardless, CGC was hired, and he now is the head coach of GT whether you or I like it or not. I will support CGC because I support the team. You talk about being unfair to the players? Not supporting their current coach, who they love, because you would rather further your agenda, is unfair to the players.

I think most of us want this coach to succeed as we are Tech 1st. What is concerning is that this current staff came to town with all the hype, the Twitter feeds, the weights before the game, the money down etc....and we were all asking yes but can he coach and win. And in a game that should have not even been a question of winning we saw terrible coaching decisions all day. As was stated Hype can only take you so far. This was a 7 win team last year and faces being a 1 win team this year.

On that note it does seem this past two weeks the Twitter account has died down.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think most of us want this coach to succeed as we are Tech 1st. What is concerning is that this current staff came to town with all the hype, the Twitter feeds, the weights before the game, the money down etc....and we were all asking yes but can he coach and win. And in a game that should have not even been a question of winning we saw terrible coaching decisions all day. As was stated Hype can only take you so far. This was a 7 win team last year and faces being a 1 win team this year.

On that note it does seem this past two weeks the Twitter account has died down.

Y’all are so hypocritical that it is nauseating.

Like wtf do y’all want! You wanted transparency with the program. You got that. You wanted a better brand for GT. You are getting that.

Everything hasn’t been hype. Proof is in the pudding in regards to perception and recruiting especially in the metro area.

Let me let you in on a secret. We were 1-2 at this same point in the season last yr. Y’all are just nitpicking to the point of being irrational

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

All that is well and good. I detest a lot of the "hype" but I don't choose to make it an issue because first, I recognize that a lot of the players like it, second, half of the fan base likes it, and finally, it's not my decision to make anyways. Do we run the risk of looking silly? Sure, but I cannot change any of that. My point remains, what good does all the continued complaining do? If you don't like something, it's ok to let it be known. That's what message boards like these are for. It's quite another thing, and pointless to boot, to continue harping ad nauseum about it though. I asked what Animals proposed solution is. He complains more than anyone else on these boards, yet never offers a constructive idea about the situation.