Collins in-game coaching

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Not many coaches out there can out coach Cutcliff with XsOs. Every coach has ups n downs. CGC will also. He just can’t afford a bunch of big snafus like the clock management moment. That was all on him. Live and learn.

I'm not even talking about X's and O's, it's more non X's and O's stuff.

In the CoFH 2010 UGA was up by 1 with 2 minutes left and had the ball around our 20. CPJ told the D to let them score and kick the XP, putting them up 42-34. But now they had to kick off and we would get the ball with 2 mins left. Richt admitted in the post-game that he got outcoached and he should've told his guys not to score.

I'm talking about doing strategic things or gamesmanship things to give us an advantage, like lining up in weird formations towards the end of the game to force the other team to burn their timeouts (happened last night).

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm not even talking about X's and O's, it's more non X's and O's stuff.
I'll offer a couple of more examples already. Fourth and 5 at the 37 against Clemson and Collins calls for the punt team (which is another cause for concern, but we've gone over that one). He doesn't take a delay of game penalty and the ensuing punt is a touchback. Barely, but a touchback nonetheless.
Then, in a similar situation against The Citadel, he doesn't wait to take the delay, punt goes in the endzone, touchback.
Had he taken a delay perhaps each team starts inside its own 5 instead of the 20.
The Citadel scored on the following possession. Can't remember what Clemson. Already trying to block so much of this year from my memory.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll offer a couple of more examples already. Fourth and 5 at the 37 against Clemson and Collins calls for the punt team (which is another cause for concern, but we've gone over that one). He doesn't take a delay of game penalty and the ensuing punt is a touchback. Barely, but a touchback nonetheless.
Then, in a similar situation against The Citadel, he doesn't wait to take the delay, punt goes in the endzone, touchback.
Had he taken a delay perhaps each team starts inside its own 5 instead of the 20.
The Citadel scored on the following possession. Can't remember what Clemson. Already trying to block so much of this year from my memory.
Yes, things you just normally take for granted at this level. I’ll chalk that up to inexperience and other distractions, but that type of game mismanagement needs to disappear quickly.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, things you just normally take for granted at this level. I’ll chalk that up to inexperience and other distractions, but that type of game mismanagement needs to disappear quickly.
Not taking a delay of game is not mismanagement, imo. A debatable subject? Sure. I'm of the belief punters actually know how to use their legs and adjust. Harvin has shown he can do this. Just my 2 cents.

I lean toward going for it vs. Clemson, but that's so low on the list of decisions I care about regardless of how the season has gone.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
When you combine these snafus with the lack of discipline on and off the field, there's obvious reason for concern.

Every coach makes mistakes in game management. Every coach has players who don't control themselves. The question here is whether Collins can assert enough control over the team to render the game management mistakes easier to work around. To do that we have to win a couple of games. Players respect a winner and will bend to whatever decisions they make that help them win. They won't respect any coach if the same kind of coaching continues and we lose. It really is that simple.

The talent is there. The coaches need to learn how to put it to use. Fast.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
When you combine these snafus with the lack of discipline on and off the field, there's obvious reason for concern.

Every coach makes mistakes in game management. Every coach has players who don't control themselves. The question here is whether Collins can assert enough control over the team to render the game management mistakes easier to work around. To do that we have to win a couple of games. Players respect a winner and will bend to whatever decisions they make that help them win. They won't respect any coach if the same kind of coaching continues and we lose. It really is that simple.

Off field discipline??? You lost me. What issues off the field??

Do you just hate him that much that you will make stuff up?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Not taking a delay of game is not mismanagement, imo. A debatable subject? Sure. I'm of the belief punters actually know how to use their legs and adjust. Harvin has shown he can do this. Just my 2 cents.

I lean toward going for it vs. Clemson, but that's so low on the list of decisions I care about regardless of how the season has gone.

I don’t know man, it’s pretty commonly accepted if you’re in no man’s land and decide not to go for it, you take the five to help the punter. I’m in a Madden league and we all do it...on Madden.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

"Lack of discipline" off the field?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Having punted some myself, that extra cushion is really nice. But I agree this one is not as big a deal. The clock mismanagement is the disheartening part. But hopefully he gets better soon. This is only his 3rd year as HC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

4th and 5 or fewer you shouldn't take the penalty because it takes away the option of a running into the kicker, or other smaller penalty, getting you the first. And with a punter as good as Harvin there is no need to give up free yards to try and help him, especially when he has a leg that threatens the endzone pretty much every time he punts it from the opponents side of the field (he punted from our 45 against Citadel and it was down inside the 5). If he is still going to have to try and aim it anyways it doesn't help to tack on 5 more yards needlessly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
4th and 5 or fewer you shouldn't take the penalty because it takes away the option of a running into the kicker, or other smaller penalty, getting you the first. And with a punter as good as Harvin there is no need to give up free yards to try and help him, especially when he has a leg that threatens the endzone pretty much every time he punts it from the opponents side of the field (he punted from our 45 against Citadel and it was down inside the 5). If he is still going to have to try and aim it anyways it doesn't help to tack on 5 more yards needlessly.
I see what you are saying and it's a good point. I just look at what is more likely to happen. We know Harvin has a great leg, if you give him a 5 yard cushion, it will give him a better chance of keeping it from going into the end zone for a touchback, while also giving him the chance for better hang time because now he can focus more on power and less on aiming, giving the cover guys a better chance of downing it. I think the chance of what I stated is more likely than roughing the punter. Again, this is really knit picky stuff. Either way would be fine I think.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
"Lack of discipline" off the field?
Yeah, I'd say the team has been very disciplined off the field with all the changes. I haven't heard one bad thing about off the field behavior. I think the 3 PF calls against the Citadel were an outlier probably from the D being on the field so much and getting cut and the like. There are plenty of things to worry about before we discipline even comes into the equation.

Animal02

Banned
Having punted some myself, that extra cushion is really nice. But I agree this one is not as big a deal. The clock mismanagement is the disheartening part. But hopefully he gets better soon. This is only his 3rd year as HC.
It all depends on the kicker.....I can see how some might have a more difficult time with a "half swing" vs full. Others can probably nail it no matter where.......that is where the "coaches knowing the players inside and out" comes in.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Every coach makes mistakes as long as they don't make the same ones over again I can live with it.
This. I see bone headed decisions every Saturday.
Some of my pet peeves: (not aimed at CGC)
Not being able to run time off the clock
Not having a short yardage play that doesn’t start 7 yards behind the LOS
Not getting plays off with a short clock
Not saving your timeouts until crunch time
Inexcusable for coaches making millions.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This one is a bit ticky tack. I assume you know that the opposing coach can decline the delay of game penalty right?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Was thinking about this today. Really stupid to have Tobias returning kicks. Yes he is a great athlete but at this point he should be the starting QB and even if not, he is one of our last two healthy QBs left. Kick return is not exactly a safe play.

I think in that game... they were hoping he'd out athlete everyone and just return one.