Collins in-game coaching

Y’all are so hypocritical that it is nauseating.

Like wtf do y’all want! You wanted transparency with the program. You got that. You wanted a better brand for GT. You are getting that.

Everything hasn’t been hype. Proof is in the pudding in regards to perception and recruiting especially in the metro area.

Let me let you in on a secret. We were 1-2 at this same point in the season last yr. Y’all are just nitpicking to the point of being irrational

I believe we were concerned at this point last year as well. Although we did not lose to an FCS team, however the break down at USF and the decision to fake a punt on our own 30 with Pitt gave us some concern. Knowing Clemson was next we were facing 1-3. The difference was we knew what we had in CPJ and that he would adjust. Right now all we have is 3 games to go on. If we go to Temple, play a real 1st string and win the game then I think you will see a better feel. If we continue to experiment, as some have suggested is good to play for the future, whatever that means in College Football, then the doubt will continue to grow. I see this game as a must win.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was at the Citadel game. Two instances:

• One of the things that made me most upset was the way Collins had picked three players to stand in front of our bench and try to lead cheers for the players on the field. As the game went on this became

Like wtf do y’all want! You wanted transparency with the program. You got that. You wanted a better brand for GT. You are getting that.

Everything hasn’t been hype. Proof is in the pudding in regards to perception and recruiting especially in the metro area.

Let me let you in on a secret. We were 1-2 at this same point in the season last yr. Y’all are just nitpicking to the point of being irrational
Please dont let the mega shade
posters get u down .

Just agree like this.

In the third game while the ol was confused , the defense was shooting them selves in foot, and the end a starting ol senior flinched etc ; cgc was doing a poor job of get back coaching and dance choreography.

Animal02

Banned
Since you complain all the time about it, what's your solution? Should we fire CGC today and start over? Where would the money come from? At what point do you accept the reality that exists instead of the hypothetical that you think could have been? I'm just not certain what good you expect to come out of the incessant griping about our coaching hire. I'm on record as having hoped for Monken, and if not Monken, then Satterfield or Elliott at Clemson. CGC was way down my list of preferred candidates, but I don't make hiring decisions. Regardless, CGC was hired, and he now is the head coach of GT whether you or I like it or not. I will support CGC because I support the team. You talk about being unfair to the players? Not supporting their current coach, who they love, because you would rather further your agenda, is unfair to the players.
In other words just shut up and accept losing seasons? Hell NO! Yes we are "stuck" with CGC......that does NOT mean accepting multiple losing seasons for his experiments.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In other words just shut up and accept losing seasons? Hell NO! Yes we are "stuck" with CGC......that does NOT mean accepting multiple losing seasons for his experiments.

It's not an experiment, though. It is the future direction and philosophy of the program moving forward, as decided by the AD. Thus, the 7 year contract and and TStan saying he understands what a big transition it is. The possibility of a lot of losing the first two years was always well known to virtually everyone.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe we were concerned at this point last year as well. Although we did not lose to an FCS team, however the break down at USF and the decision to fake a punt on our own 30 with Pitt gave us some concern. Knowing Clemson was next we were facing 1-3. The difference was we knew what we had in CPJ and that he would adjust. Right now all we have is 3 games to go on. If we go to Temple, play a real 1st string and win the game then I think you will see a better feel. If we continue to experiment, as some have suggested is good to play for the future, whatever that means in College Football, then the doubt will continue to grow. I see this game as a must win.

Can someone explain to me what exactly calling it a "must win" game means? "Must win" or what? You'll stop being a fan? You'll give up on the season? You'll call for the coach's firing 4 games into year 1? I don't understand the point of calling games "must win" so early on.

Yes, it's one of our better chances at getting a win for the whole season but it's still a game we're 8 point dogs in. I look forward to seeing our boys come out on Saturday and play some ball. Hope to see a lot of improvement on offense and hope to see the D play more like it did in week 2. Go Jackets!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I think the difference between that 1-2 and this one was at least some components of the team looked to be working correctly. The USF game this year was basically the inverse of last year. Instead of our defense being non existent and the offense making fumble mistakes, our defense was great but the offense was nonexistent. In our losses however. Well clemson gets a pass but there were a few curious decisions made in that game that honestly I chalked up to, its clemson whatever we are really outmatched there. The citadel however just made no sense. If we were any other team in transition to a new coach it would but it honestly looked like we were unprepared to face an offense we just finished running. There were some real boneheaded decisions in player rotation. With very little adjustment in game.

Last year, USF was fumbled away and woody had no answer for a running QB.
Pitt was well, offense didn't show up in the first half but we ended the game with 320 yards rushing and 3 tds which means something was adjusted at half, we also only allowed 3 points after half.

I see what they are trying to do on offense, but it must look completely different in practice than how they have ran in the games because we don't seem to have a quick passing game at all everything is bombs or bust.

You also didn't have CPJ talking all offseason in platitudes designed to pump people up. There is a personal preference difference there. Despite what people might think I like Collins. I want him to succeed. Not sure I agree with the kitchen sink offensive playbook right now woiuld rather we were good at runnign 6-9 plays than havign 40 plays we aren't really that good at.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
It's not an experiment, though. It is the future direction and philosophy of the program moving forward, as decided by the AD. Thus, the 7 year contract and and TStan saying he understands what a big transition it is. The possibility of a lot of losing the first two years was always well known to virtually everyone.
BS. I believe and you asked anybody except the deluded koolaid drinkers if it was acceptable to have two seasons with a combined three wins in exchange for a maybe if......the answer would have been HELL NO. If TStan felt that was acceptable, than that confirms even more he is clueless.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
BS. I believe and you asked anybody except the deluded koolaid drinkers if it was acceptable to have two seasons with a combined three wins in exchange for a maybe if......the answer would have been HELL NO. If TStan felt that was acceptable, than that confirms even more he is clueless.

Hey, I am not throwing in the towel and I want to see our guys win every time they suit up. I even talk myself into believing they will, most weeks. But a lot of very knowledgeable, impartial observers told us that we were in for a rough ride the moment we moved away from the old offense with the roster as currently constructed. Ultimately, yes, TStan was willing to risk a down season or two to get the program where he wants it long term. It was inevitably going to happen at some point, anyway. Shoot, the transition may have been even uglier if we had hired a different coach. I can't imagine Whiz trying to run a true pro style with what we have here.

Where is this transparency, when he doesn't even mention the offensive play calling and constant rotation of QBs? What "better brand for GT" are we getting?
Proof in the pudding comes with better play on the field. Recruiting looks good, possibly great, thus far, but how about waiting till they actually sign before coming to any conclusions. Pastner recruits better too, but he still hasn't signed the players he needs and wants.
We were indeed 1-2 last year, but one of those 2 was not an FCS school.
Don't get me wrong, I fully support Collins, in spite of any gripes I may have, and I will be there cheering loudly at every home game, as I have for the past 50+ years. I don't think there is any hypocrisy there at all.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Where is this transparency, when he doesn't even mention the offensive play calling and constant rotation of QBs? What "better brand for GT" are we getting?
Proof in the pudding comes with better play on the field. Recruiting looks good, possibly great, thus far, but how about waiting till they actually sign before coming to any conclusions. Pastner recruits better too, but he still hasn't signed the players he needs and wants.
Don't get me wrong, I fully support Collins, in spite of any gripes I may have, and I will be there cheering loudly at every home game, as I have for the past 50+ years. I don't think there is any hypocrisy there at all.

Name a coach that actual talks gameplan and play calling to the public? Very seldom CPJ or Gailey spoke about play calling. CPJ may go in depth once in a blue moon, on the call in show. What makes you think these coaches are different?

Ask the coaches and recruits in metro Atlanta if the GT branding has improved and get back with me.

Lol where has Pastner recruited better?

I’m ready to rewrite history if you are. I declare today, as the day we can no longer say the Flexbone/Veer scheme is the talent equalizer. We basically swapped Ls from USF w/ The Citadel.

Name a coach that actual talks gameplan and play calling to the public? Very seldom CPJ or Gailey spoke about play calling. CPJ may go in depth once in a blue moon, on the call in show. What makes you think these coaches are different?

Ask the coaches and recruits in metro Atlanta if the GT branding has improved and get back with me.

I’m ready to rewrite history if you are. I declare today, as the day we can no longer say the Flexbone/Veer scheme is the talent equalizer. We basically swapped Ls from USF w/ The Citadel.
When CGC compares a group of safeties to a group of QBs, you know something is wrong.
A loss to USF last year does not compare to a loss to The Citadel ANY YEAR.
His approach to recruiting in metro Atlanta is not equivalent to a new brand. Yes, I like his approach, but I fail to see what kind of brand you are talking about.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

I hear you, but I think a lot of us were worried about another 2015 type season at that point. Personally, I wasn’t sure what we had anymore in CPJ toward the end of his tenure. He seemed tired, and we were a lot more inconsistent. I just don’t remember a lot of level heads at the time.

I do think we all agree that we need get a win so we can wash this awful Citadel taste out of our mouths.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I think the difference between that 1-2 and this one was at least some components of the team looked to be working correctly. The USF game this year was basically the inverse of last year. Instead of our defense being non existent and the offense making fumble mistakes, our defense was great but the offense was nonexistent. In our losses however. Well clemson gets a pass but there were a few curious decisions made in that game that honestly I chalked up to, its clemson whatever we are really outmatched there. The citadel however just made no sense. If we were any other team in transition to a new coach it would but it honestly looked like we were unprepared to face an offense we just finished running. There were some real boneheaded decisions in player rotation. With very little adjustment in game.

Last year, USF was fumbled away and woody had no answer for a running QB.
Pitt was well, offense didn't show up in the first half but we ended the game with 320 yards rushing and 3 tds which means something was adjusted at half, we also only allowed 3 points after half.

I see what they are trying to do on offense, but it must look completely different in practice than how they have ran in the games because we don't seem to have a quick passing game at all everything is bombs or bust.

You also didn't have CPJ talking all offseason in platitudes designed to pump people up. There is a personal preference difference there. Despite what people might think I like Collins. I want him to succeed. Not sure I agree with the kitchen sink offensive playbook right now woiuld rather we were good at runnign 6-9 plays than havign 40 plays we aren't really that good at.

Ya'll are focusing on whether it was an FCS loss or a G5 loss, but glossing over the fact that it was year 11 vs. year 1, and that makes a big difference in how we should view these losses, too. The issues we are having now are understandable, even though I think it's fair to look at how we might mitigate them going forward.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
When CGC compares a group of safeties to a group of QBs, you know something is wrong.
A loss to USF last year does not compare to a loss to The Citadel ANY YEAR.
His approach to recruiting in metro Atlanta is not equivalent to a new brand. Yes, I like his approach, but I fail to see what kind of brand you are talking about.

You fail to see the brand? He’s trying to connect the team to the city. Recruiting Atlanta is a component of that but he’s trying to make people in Atlanta think of Tech like they do the Falcons/Braves/Hawks/etc. Wafflehouse, bringing artists into practice, taking the team out to ATL games, “404theCulture.”

You honestly can’t see that? I mean I have questions about his gameday decisions right now too, but his off the field decisions have been a homerun so far. Remains to be seen if the former improves or if the latter results in a roster competitive enough to win games in the ACC without the option.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me what exactly calling it a "must win" game means? "Must win" or what? You'll stop being a fan? You'll give up on the season? You'll call for the coach's firing 4 games into year 1? I don't understand the point of calling games "must win" so early on.

Yes, it's one of our better chances at getting a win for the whole season but it's still a game we're 8 point dogs in. I look forward to seeing our boys come out on Saturday and play some ball. Hope to see a lot of improvement on offense and hope to see the D play more like it did in week 2. Go Jackets!
Exactly!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

@Ibeeballin I respect the heck out of you as a former S/A, a defensive mind, and a quality contributor to this board, but I believe you are smarter than what you've shown lately in your frustration with posters who are critical of CGC.

As I've stated before, there are only a few guys on here who seem hell-bent on bashing anything and everything CGC does. The vast majority of the skeptical are just that; skeptical.

There's nothing wrong with questioning coaching decisions, culture, etc. I have loved about 75% of what CGC is trying to do at GT, from a more attractive culture, to recruiting efforts, to defensive scheme change. There are things I am concerned about, as well (potential to over-hype, offensive scheme or lack thereof, decision making in critical game situations).

I think if you step back and don't allow a couple of posters to get you riled up, you'll see there's the potential for a much more nuanced discussion of the CGC era.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
You honestly can’t see that? I mean I have questions about his gameday decisions right now too, but his off the field decisions have been a homerun so far. Remains to be seen if the former improves or if the latter results in a roster competitive enough to win games in the ACC without the option.
It's like trick plays in the games - when they work it's brilliant, when they fail you're an idiot. Everyone would have a different take if GT was 2-1 right now...