College Football RISK: Season 2

crut

Helluva Engineer
(Made a new thread for this so that things in the other thread don't confuse people)

We are all bored as hell with coronavirus taking away our sports. Well, here's a fun distraction for you to help you continue your Georgia Tech fandom! It is basically a giant game of Risk, with some differences, between all the FBS college football schools. In the previous iteration of this game, Georgia Tech finished 4th in the country and over 17,000 people played! The game begins tomorrow, so join Georgia Tech and let's win this thing!

It is being run on collegefootballrisk.com and requires a Reddit account to play (if you don't have a Reddit account, it is easy to make at reddit.com). You simply go to the Risk Game site, link your Reddit account, and select Georgia Tech as your team. Now, you're ready to play! Here's how the game works:

Basic Rules:

1. The United States is a map composed of 130 territories around the home locations of each FBS college football team. The Georgia Tech team, which you are 1 member of, starts by controlling its home territory.

khNK6r2.jpg

2. Each day, you get to decide your single move for the day. Will you attack a neighboring territory, or defend one that is already owned by Georgia Tech? That's all you do each day. You just put in your move on the game site by clicking the territory you want to attack or defend. Then... each night at 11PM EST all hell breaks loose.

3. At 11PM daily, the "roll" occurs. All the moves from all teams are locked. For every single territory on the map, a random number generator selects a single player that attacked or defended it as the territory's 'MVP' and that territory now belongs to that player's team. The map is redrawn, and the next day begins.
(Here's an example: Let's say 300 Georgia Tech players attach the Athens territory that uGA owns. 150 Georgia players defend it. 50 Georgia St. players attacked it. So there were 500 total moves on the Athens territory. GT therefore has a 300/500 (60%) chance to win it, Georgia has a 150/500 (30%) chance to win it, and Georgia St has a 50/500 (10%) chance to win it. The random number generator basically draws a players name out of the hat of 500 and if it is a Georgia Tech player, GT now owns Athens!). This same process happens for all 130 territories every night.

4. The game works by process of elimination, so if your team has 0 territories at the end of the night, your team is eliminated. You do not have to hold your own territory specifically to be alive.

5. You can only attack territories that neighbor ones that you own, and you can only defend territories you own.

6. To make the map "wrap around," the Boston College territory borders Alaska (Team Chaos's territory - explained below), and Miami borders Hawaii.

7. There is a 'Team Chaos' who any player can join instead of a school, and then start in Alaska. They act the same as any other team, but are going to be less organized.

That's all you need to understand to be able to play the game and get what is going on. Some brainiac set up an algorithm to help determine the best strategy for each day and will automatically send out a 'marching order" for each player that signs up for his Reddit messenger service. This makes the game REALLY easy to play. You get a message, it tells you what to do, you go to the game page and click that move. To sign up for the Messenger Service, just fill out this form and you will receive 1 direct message on Reddit per day.

Lastly, there are a couple nuanced rules that change the odds a bit so I will explain those below, but don't worry about them if you don't want to.

Nuanced Rules:

1. Every player that defends a territory that their team owns gets a 1.5x bonus. So if you imagine your move is like "putting your name in a territory's hat," if your team owns the territory and you defend it, imagine you put your name in 1.5 times.
2. Every Team Chaos move gets a different bonus each night to make them unpredictable. It ranges from a 1-2x bonus.
3. When a team is eliminated, players from that team can continue players by joining another team, eitherTeam Chaos or another real school as "mercenaries".
4. Each player is assigned a "star value" that you will see under your username at the top of the game page once your Reddit account is linked. The more stars you have, the more your move is worth. Most players will start as 1 stars which counts as 1 name in a hat, whereas 2 stars = 2 times, 3 stars = 6 times, 4 stars = 12 times, 5 stars = 24 times. Your overall star score is the median of the 5 sub-scores.

Total turns played across all rounds (Including the previous iteration of the game)

• One star - 0 turns
  • Two stars - 10 turns
  • Three stars - 25 turns
  • Four stars - 50 turns
  • Five stars - 100 turns
Turns played in the current round
  • One star - 0 turns
  • Two stars - 5 turns
  • Three stars - 10 turns
  • Four stars - 25 turns
  • Five stars - 50 turns
Number of MVPs awarded
  • One star - 0 MVPs
  • Two stars - 1 MVP
  • Three stars - 5 MVPs
  • Four stars - 10 MVPs
  • Five stars - 25 MVPs
Streak of consecutive turns played

• One star - 0 consecutive turns
  • Two stars - 3 consecutive turns
  • Three stars - 5 consecutive turns
  • Four stars - 10 consecutive turns
  • Five stars - 25 consecutive turns
Awards on r/CFB (if you don't have any now it's going to be hard to get them, so don't worry about this category)
  • One star - 0 awards
  • Two stars - 1 award
  • Three stars - 2 awards
  • Four stars - 3 awards
  • Five stars - 5 awards
So to get to 5 stars and make yourself as powerful of a player as you can be, you need to have THREE categories at 5 stars. Most players will start as a 1 star. Got any questions, ask away!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Always a good day when UGA goes.. Hopefully this discourages them from joining enmasse now as mercs and hitting back at us. Let's ride.

Buh bye jawja! Here's the map after the 1st day. We had the 2nd most number of players after Day 1.

oLjZf4a.png

Wow, Nebraska got a clean sweep of everybody around them

Yeah, pretty wild. Those corn huskers know how to battle.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We gonna team up with Michigan to fight off the red? Getting kinda dicey.

Also I’m up to 2 stars overall now finally. Do we update someone on discord for factoring into the marching orders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The game seems too much work for me, but if you are a football addict, it is the best you will get this year. I think those believing we will play football this fall are hopelessly optimistic. The best would be empty stadiums and a TV camera. Which would be just a bit better than high school ball, and even then what happens if a player has the virus?. I want to be wrong, but baseball, football and basketball, all varsity and club sportss, are gone until sometime next year. Maybe. Whether it is flattening the curve or blunting the growth, it would be beyond foolish to start to get a handle on coronavirus, and blow it with big crowds sitting elbow to elbow. I have decided to get through it with old Dodger games and Letterman shows, both of which are plentiful on YouTube.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The game seems too much work for me, but if you are a football addict, it is the best you will get this year. I think those believing we will play football this fall are hopelessly optimistic. The best would be empty stadiums and a TV camera. Which would be just a bit better than high school ball, and even then what happens if a player has the virus?. I want to be wrong, but baseball, football and basketball, all varsity and club sportss, are gone until sometime next year. Maybe. Whether it is flattening the curve or blunting the growth, it would be beyond foolish to start to get a handle on coronavirus, and blow it with big crowds sitting elbow to elbow. I have decided to get through it with old Dodger games and Letterman shows, both of which are plentiful on YouTube.
The game requires 1 click per day haha. I sure hope thats not too much for you.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I tried signing up thru reddit but I wasnt able to make clicks, change my flair etc... when I signed in thru the website, it just took me back to reddit