Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No thanks. The UMass thing remains a red flag and he's won at two programs built to perform.

Richey has won a lot of games on 5 years and you think that creates doubts? That's not so easily done either.

Winthrop was great under Marshall but Kelsey didn't follow Marshall. Under Peele, Winthrop was pedestrian and under .500 overall and like .56 in conference. Kelsey was 15-20% higher in both. Similar situation appears to be the case at Charleston where he's taken a good program and clearly elevated it although he hasn't had time there to show if he can sustain that level there.

The UMass thing was a change of heart. He got to campus, realized he didn't want to be there, and backed out. He rushed the process but I don't see how that is some huge red flag.

I said Richey has done a good job but if you don't have doubts about it transitioning to success at GT I don't know what to tell you. He hasn't gone through a normal transition, has no experience at the P5 level, an looks more to have continued what was going on rather than really elevating the program. I would expect him to move on in the next couple of years, maybe even this one, but I'm betting it is to a large mid major and not a P5 school.

Eh, I'm with dt on Kelsey. Something don't sit right with him and I feel he'd be on the first thing smokin' outta town if he had any success here.

But that is in direct contrast to dt's point about UMass. Kelsey went back to the smaller school that was paying him less. And in any case, if he leaves after success then okay. That's not a bad thing. I'd rather make the next coaching change after 4 years of success than pay the next coach to leave after 4 years of failure.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But that is in direct contrast to dt's point about UMass. Kelsey went back to the smaller school that was paying him less. And in any case, if he leaves after success then okay. That's not a bad thing. I'd rather make the next coaching change after 4 years of success than pay the next coach to leave after 4 years of failure.
Could just be one flash year with a buncha 1yr transfers then bounce. Still all good?

And I'm not sure what you mean w.r.t. the UMass thing. It speaks to weirdness, which is what I take issue with. Him 'going back to a smaller school that was paying him less' is a red flag, imho.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Winthrop was great under Marshall but Kelsey didn't follow Marshall. Under Peele, Winthrop was pedestrian and under .500 overall and like .56 in conference. Kelsey was 15-20% higher in both. Similar situation appears to be the case at Charleston where he's taken a good program and clearly elevated it although he hasn't had time there to show if he can sustain that level there.

The UMass thing was a change of heart. He got to campus, realized he didn't want to be there, and backed out. He rushed the process but I don't see how that is some huge red flag.

I said Richey has done a good job but if you don't have doubts about it transitioning to success at GT I don't know what to tell you. He hasn't gone through a normal transition, has no experience at the P5 level, an looks more to have continued what was going on rather than really elevating the program. I would expect him to move on in the next couple of years, maybe even this one, but I'm betting it is to a large mid major and not a P5 school.

I'm not reading this long response. I just don't have the attention span. Nothing personal.

I think it's just fair to say you don't like Richey, I don't like Kelsey, and that's fine.

I don't even know if I like Richey.

Honestly, my top choice might still be Earl Grant. Getting 9 ACC wins at BC? I can't remember the last time that happened.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not reading this long response. I just don't have the attention span. Nothing personal.

I think it's just fair to say you don't like Richey, I don't like Kelsey, and that's fine.

I don't even know if I like Richey.

Honestly, my top choice might still be Earl Grant. Getting 9 ACC wins at BC? I can't remember the last time that happened.
20010-11, in Steve Donahue's first year they went 9-7 in conference.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Earl Grant is doing a great job and I could get behind him ( I like the thought of poaching from an ACC school- it shows our $ and resources are superior). Ryan Odom, Dusty May and Abdur-Rahim are my list at the moment

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have no idea who the coach is at Western Kentucky but there must be a Brian Gregory connection there.

Sheesh. Is that you, Eddie Fogler?

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Pastner can actually coach quite well, but he is not getting the talent we need to compete in the top half of the ACC. Is it an NIL issue or? Maybe he needs more support in that area, more or better recruiters and the $$$ needed to get some star players in here.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Pastner can actually coach quite well, but he is not getting the talent we need to compete in the top half of the ACC. Is it an NIL issue or? Maybe he needs more support in that area, more or better recruiters and the $$$ needed to get some star players in here.
Last offseason was the first with NIL. How were his first 6 recruiting classes. That should give you your answer on the issue.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

The Lville situation should be a bright red warning flag to all the folks ... ok yeah, me included ... that are so ready for a change. Payne was seen by many as a sure-fire, lead pipe lock to excel. As a coaching prospect, he was the name for high major jobs. If coaches had Rivals rankings as prospects, he would've been a 6-star recruit.

And here we are one year in and it's going as smooth as a gravel road for them. And, if these rumblings are true, they're having buyer's remorse already.

Careful whatchu wish for. And don't think making a change for the sake of change is sure to net success.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The Lville situation should be a bright red warning flag to all the folks ... ok yeah, me included ... that are so ready for a change. Payne was seen by many as a sure-fire, lead pipe lock to excel. As a coaching prospect, he was the name for high major jobs. If coaches had Rivals rankings as prospects, he would've been a 6-star recruit.

And here we are one year in and it's going as smooth as a gravel road for them. And, if these rumblings are true, they're having buyer's remorse already.

Careful whatchu wish for. And don't think making a change for the sake of change is sure to net success.
Payne’s head coaching record prior to Louisville was 0-0. Going from never being a HC to coaching in the ACC is far different than being a highly successful coach at a non P6 college. Good grief what a crazy analogy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Payne’s head coaching record prior to Louisville was 0-0. Going from never being a HC to coaching in the ACC is far different than being a highly successful coach at a non P6 college. Good grief what a crazy analogy.

You're becoming a caricature.

I am one too, but I'm in on the joke.