Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

E4EE82A9-8652-428A-A1F2-D125D1292488.jpeg

This was awesome. There’s nothing in college sports like a campus site conference championship. This seat was $22 btw.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Richey just won the SoCon. Abdur-Rahim and Richey are both getting poached this offseason. I doubt Richey would want to come to Georgia Tech anyway. What team gets Richey this offseason?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Abdur Rahim to Tech makes too much sense. His bro (president of G League) essentially invented NIL for athletes by taking the EA Sports case to Supreme Court, he's from ATL and been recruiting here - Please don't mess this up Battman

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Abdur Rahim to Tech makes too much sense. His bro (president of G League) essentially invented NIL for athletes by taking the EA Sports case to Supreme Court, he's from ATL and been recruiting here - Please don't mess this up Battman
Meh.. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see how he is a huge upgrade over Pastner.

Aside from knowing Atlanta well and one good season as head coach, I'm not sure I see the appeal.

If we move from Pastner, it must be a better option.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Meh.. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see how he is a huge upgrade over Pastner.

Aside from knowing Atlanta well and one good season as head coach, I'm not sure I see the appeal.

If we move from Pastner, it must be a better option.

Fair. The sell job would be the build, not the one good year probably.

But it's certainly fair to question if it'd be an upgrade or would it just be a new guy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Too much sense?

He has 4 years of experience and this is his first year with a winning record either in conference or overall. His first three years he was 19-65 overall and 9-38 in conference before breaking through this year.

He may turn out to be a great coach. Or he may turn out to be a flash in the pan one year wonder type. We have know way of knowing, and it makes no sense for GT to change coaches just to land someone at that stage in their career. If we change coaches we should get someone with some sort of proven track record of consistent success sustained over time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Too much sense?

He has 4 years of experience and this is his first year with a winning record either in conference or overall. His first three years he was 19-65 overall and 9-38 in conference before breaking through this year.

He may turn out to be a great coach. Or he may turn out to be a flash in the pan one year wonder type. We have know way of knowing, and it makes no sense for GT to change coaches just to land someone at that stage in their career. If we change coaches we should get someone with some sort of proven track record of consistent success sustained over time.
So Bob Richey from Furman?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So Bob Richey from Furman?

Would be a better choice. Still wouldn't be super excited. While he's done a great job at Furman, he was an assistant there under Medved and has mostly just continued the good times. So no experience as HC in going through a full scale transition, and no experience at the P5 level at all, and his experience as HC is pretty much exclusive in a program already in a good state.

Kelsey is the obvious name to me. Took over for Winthrop which wasn't in a terrible place, but he clearly elevated it from where it was, finished 1st or tied for 4 times in six years his last 6 years there, and finished 2nd and 3rd the two years he wasn't first. Went to College of Charleston who was in a good place under Grant and in year two has them at 30-3. So he had sustained success at Winthrop and has repeated it at Charleston. Prior to that he was an assistant at Xavier under Mack when that program was humming and spent half a decade as an assistant at Wake so he has some experience with the ACC already. Biggest thing I would hold against him is he hasn't taken over a program in a bad position and built it up but that's about it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would be a better choice. Still wouldn't be super excited. While he's done a great job at Furman, he was an assistant there under Medved and has mostly just continued the good times. So no experience as HC in going through a full scale transition, and no experience at the P5 level at all, and his experience as HC is pretty much exclusive in a program already in a good state.

Kelsey is the obvious name to me. Took over for Winthrop which wasn't in a terrible place, but he clearly elevated it from where it was, finished 1st or tied for 4 times in six years his last 6 years there, and finished 2nd and 3rd the two years he wasn't first. Went to College of Charleston who was in a good place under Grant and in year two has them at 30-3. So he had sustained success at Winthrop and has repeated it at Charleston. Prior to that he was an assistant at Xavier under Mack when that program was humming and spent half a decade as an assistant at Wake so he has some experience with the ACC already. Biggest thing I would hold against him is he hasn't taken over a program in a bad position and built it up but that's about it.
No thanks. The UMass thing remains a red flag and he's won at two programs built to perform.

Richey has won a lot of games on 5 years and you think that creates doubts? That's not so easily done either.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No thanks. The UMass thing remains a red flag and he's won at two programs built to perform.

Richey has won a lot of games on 5 years and you think that creates doubts? That's not so easily done either.

Eh, I'm with dt on Kelsey. Something don't sit right with him and I feel he'd be on the first thing smokin' outta town if he had any success here. But hmmmm, looks like he could use a get-bak! coach ...

And I'm not even gonna mention the weird Tu Holloway stuff....