Coaching Carousel 8 - Teamwork means never taking all the blame yourself

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I do too, but I think that Batt is counting donors and evaluating the situation. It’s not “I’ve got my man”. I’ve moved my thinking from “the AA isn’t going to do anything” to “I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see some changes” and “if Pastner stays, he’s getting minimum goals to achieve, or else”.

I couldn’t find the article about “worker getting laid off thinks head coach shouldn’t be fired”, but I did find this:
The late season performance of the team has given Batt a reason he can use to give Pastner another year. If he wants to replace him now, he can look at the overall record for the past 7 years and focus on his ACC record. I am not sure how it will play out because I could see it going either way. His budget is another factor.

slugboy

Staff member

This thread might end up looking weird if the Twitter embeds stop working—which they might. A lot of public API access has been shut down.
Please keep posting what info you can, but a quick description is appreciated, in case the tweets “go poof” at some point

8AA54746-E743-4E51-BA25-7638AA86DFC6.jpeg

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think there is wait one more season and see mentality at the GTAA given the lack of motivated donors willing to fork up funds to push out Pastner and hire a new coach. I am not surprised. Would love to see us focus on more structural issues and set up whoever is coach beyond next year for long term success.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If they aren't willing to write checks to remove him, then write checks to support him. Can't have it both ways 🤷‍♂️

Peter Defazio GIF by GIPHY News

Fair. Especially when they didn't really crack the ol' wallets open, as much as they could've, for the football staff. I imagine they're probably using that as an excuse.

I get it, to a degree, but it's not like we went out and paid a buyout to get the HC we wanted.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, they can. It's their money.
I guess my point is that if you're willing to be a "money man" for a school, it's also your responsibility to "put up or shut up". If you don't like how a current coach is performing, post up the money to get him out and get your guy in. If you aren't willing to cut that big of a check but still have complaints, cut a smaller check to the guy to give him some support. I personally think Pastner needs to go, but if they think he can get it done, how about laying the ground work by setting up some NIL money and bolster recruiting. If Pastner still fails with better players, then you have skin in the game to send him packing, and put you're guy in place who now has resources to make a dent in recruiting. What I can't stand is the "money guys" who complain about coaching and recruiting, but offer little to no monetary support to fix the issues. If you're unhappy and complaining about how things are going, put your money where your mouth is and do something about it. If not, then shut up.

Edit: this is not an attack on you @dtm1997, just a broader issue that needs to be addressed. Who knows, maybe ADJB is doing something about it behind the scenes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So one thing I thought would be interested is looking back at the last coaching cycle and see what coaches were hired at Major schools.

ACC
Duke - hired Scheyer from within after announcing it a year prior. Long time assistant.
UL - Kenny Payne - NBA assistant, long time college assistant at Kentucky and Oregon before that. Alum

Big 10
Maryland - Kevin Willard- former Seaton Hall coach with a good track record of NCAAT appearances.

SEC
Florida - Todd Golden - 3 years at San Fransisco in a head scratching hire as he hadn't really accomplished much as head coach prior
UGA - Mike White from UF - Somewhat successful at UF, for what UF could be.
LSU - Matt McMahon - from Murray State. had won 75% of his games at Murray state finishing 1st or tied for in 4 of the previous 5 years.
MSU - Chris Jans from NMSU who had won 83% of his games in conference at NMSU and finished 1st 4 out of 5 years.
Mizzou - Dennis Gates - 3 years at Cleavland State where he finished 1st twice in conference. Long time FSU assistant before that.
Scar - Lamont Paris - Chatanooga coach who coached 5 years, and year 5 was his first real notable year.

Big 12
Kansas State - Jerome Tang - LONG time baylor assistant.

Pac 12

No new coaches

Others Notables-
Xavier - Sean Miller - Extremely successful prior at both Arizona and Xavier itself.
Villanova - Kyle Neptune - Had spent one year at Fordham but was long time assistant at Nova itself. Pseduo promote from within.
Seaton Hall - Shaheen Halloway - 4 years at ST Peters prior with some success, but was a long time assistant at Seaston Hall before that and a player there as well.
Butler - Thad Matta - successful stints at Butler, Xavier, and OSU pryor.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When they say "not fully funded" at Cal does that mean they don't fund all 13 ships? That generally is what that means in other contexts. :oops: