Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Hewitt went to D-Rad and told him that he was going to St. Johns, thus getting GT out of any buy-out scenario. But the unprepared D-Rad begged Hewitt to stay, only to fire him a year later with GT shouldering their full buy-out liability. The damage to GT in the wake of that gaff was colossal.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's a reason LazyAD is still my profile pic. Out of the 3 ADs who have put an anchor around GT Men's Hoops, he added the most weight.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
This. I think it's a homerun hire for GA State...but GT should never, I repeat NEVER, fear GA State. When we're at that stage it says more about GT than GA State.
Keep strutting that elitist attitude. I would much rather be GSU basketball right now than GT. And this hire is only gonna make it harder for Pastner.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Keep strutting that elitist attitude. I would much rather be GSU basketball right now than GT. And this hire is only gonna make it harder for Pastner.

It's not an elitist attitude. It's more an admission that GT has squandered whatever advantages we've had. That's more on us than GA State. Our decision makers, past and possibly present, will be our downfall when our castle crumbles.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hewitt went to D-Rad and told him that he was going to St. Johns, thus getting GT out of any buy-out scenario. But the unprepared D-Rad begged Hewitt to stay, only to fire him a year later with GT shouldering their full buy-out liability. The damage to GT in the wake of that gaff was colossal.
Yep, single worst decision ever made by a GT AD in terms of the basketball program.
Literally cost the program a decade and alot of money that it has never recovered from.

It also hurt GT AA overall as you combine that buyout with all the debt from the building spree and GT AA has basically been cash poor ever since.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yep, single worst decision ever made by a GT AD in terms of the basketball program.
Literally cost the program a decade and alot of money that it has never recovered from.

It also hurt GT AA overall as you combine that buyout with all the debt from the building spree and GT AA has basically been cash poor ever since.
Let's face it...we were spoiled with Homer Rice. The three that followed him were all less than stellar. He wasn't perfect and made his fair share of mistakes, but in general, he built GT back into a very successful program. Let's face it, as great as Boddy Dodd was as a coach, from everything I've read, he was a poor AD. Here's hoping Stansbury has that mixture of skills that will make him successful. I think he will be.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's not an elitist attitude. It's more an admission that GT has squandered whatever advantages we've had. That's more on us than GA State. Our decision makers, past and possibly present, will be our downfall when our castle crumbles.

Agree with all this ... well, except the bit about you having an elitist attitude. We both know you got that in spades.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
guess Leonard must've told him he wasn't the coach in waiting at F$U. Good for him. Better for us, as I think it will be harder to convince Atlanta kids to play at Mizzou

Techster

Helluva Engineer
guess Leonard must've told him he wasn't the coach in waiting at F$U. Good for him. Better for us, as I think it will be harder to convince Atlanta kids to play at Mizzou

I think he'll still get some REALLY good recruits out of GA and the Southeast, but at least we dont' have to deal with them in the ACC.

Young got a 3 year commitment from Mizzou, which is almost unheard of for assistants. I'm thinking Young and his agent went to FSU for a counteroffer and the FSU admins hemmed and hawed because it's basketball and he's "just" an assistant. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked about being the next head coach once Leonard steps down and again FSU hemmed and hawed.

Next best thing would be a multiple year commitment from another high major school. Mizzou gave him that.

Maybe now Matthew Cleveland wants to transfer and go play for a team close to home in the ACC. I know a school that fits that description...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
.Maybe now Matthew Cleveland wants to transfer and go play for a team close to home in the ACC. I know a school that fits that description...

Ooh, ohh, I know one too. Wait, Georgia State's not in the ACC. :unsure:

Kidding, kidding. Just making light of the little kerfuffle we all had on the panthers a few pages back.

The Young news is surprising but not if the circumstances played out as you described. Glad to no longer have to worry about him in-conference.

Cue the folks that'll say GT shouldn't be a-feared o' nobody.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
His tenure at GaSou as a HC wasn't great. At mizzou as Associate HC, he gets more responsibilities and takes over if HC is hit with 2 techs or sick. I could see F$U telling him to get the experience and will look at him when Leonard steps down

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Young was never Coach in Waiting at FSU and likely never would be.
There have been rumors for years that when Hamilton retires that FSU will make a run at former FSU asst Andy Enfield.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Young was never Coach in Waiting at FSU and likely never would be.
There have been rumors for years that when Hamilton retires that FSU will make a run at former FSU asst Andy Enfield.

This is tangentially related to the Hayes hire at GA State. Will be interesting to see if Hayes has success at GA State. IF not, he could fall into the same category as Young looks to have fallen into: Incredible recruiter and good Asst Coach, but not a guy that can lead a program.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In fairness to Hayes he is walking into a much better job than Young. Ga St is a much superior position to GASou