Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget the handling of the shoe-gate NCAA investigation where it was D-Rad, I believe, who parlayed a minor infraction into a major one for failure to cooperate with investigators by hiring an inexperienced and antagonistic legal team. He was a big figure in that fiasco as well.

It was also D-Rad, due to his complete ignorance of anything basketball, hired Eddie Fogler to head our search to replace Hewitt. It was Fogler who was making public comments that our position was not very attractive due to our academics WHILE the search was open. I still haven't lived that one down.

D-Rad was a pip. He was good at spending money, though. Didn't raise any, but he could spend it.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Given Hewitt's disastrous four years at George Mason (record got worse every year he was there. 24-9 first year with Larranaga's roster, 9-22 in his fourth. No NCAA or NIT bids. School investigated by NCAA for improper recruiting benefits) and the fact he couldn't get hired anywhere else in college (now with G League team), I'm happy that he's not at Tech and wish his tenure here had been a few years shorter

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given Hewitt's disastrous four years at George Mason (record got worse every year he was there. 24-9 first year with Larranaga's roster, 9-22 in his fourth. No NCAA or NIT bids. School investigated by NCAA for improper recruiting benefits) and the fact he couldn't get hired anywhere else in college (now with G League team), I'm happy that he's not at Tech and wish his tenure here had been a few years shorter
You can thank LazyAD for it not being shorter.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And I'd argue that if you compare what he did here vs his successors we'd be in a better place had we not gotten rid of him at all.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
And I'd argue that if you compare what he did here vs his successors we'd be in a better place had we not gotten rid of him at all.

Eh…maybe. Better than Gregory probably but that’s an extremelyyy low bar. A component AA would’ve fired him after 2-14 in his *ninth year* when we couldn’t even inbound the ball sometimes. But the entire handling has no doubt had a long ripple effect.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
From '01-'05 Hewitt was 39-41 in the ACC (.489)
From '06-'11 Hewitt was 42-74 in the ACC (.362)

in that latter half of Hewitt's tenure here, Gt played some of the most gawd-awful basketball one could want to watch, even when we had five star players. They made my eyes bleed.

What is obvious to me is that when Keener and Cliff Warren left Hewitt's staff, the coaching talent left with them.

Overall Hewitt was .413 in conference at GT.
Pastner is currently at .418 in the ACC.

I would take the play of Pastner's teams over that of Hewitt after Keener and Warren left 24/7 and twice of Tuesday as a fan who values solid team basketball.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
From '01-'05 Hewitt was 39-41 in the ACC (.489)
From '06-'11 Hewitt was 42-74 in the ACC (.362)

in that latter half of Hewitt's tenure here, Gt played some of the most gawd-awful basketball one could want to watch, even when we had five star players. They made my eyes bleed.

What is obvious to me is that when Keener and Cliff Warren left Hewitt's staff, the coaching talent left with them.

Overall Hewitt was .413 in conference at GT.
Pastner is currently at .418 in the ACC.

I would take the play of Pastner's teams over that of Hewitt after Keener and Warren left 24/7 and twice of Tuesday as a fan who values solid team basketball.
One problem for Hewitt is in the last few years he was a dead man walking and everyone knew it. No coaches wanted to join his staff, and hard getting the recruits he was.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
One problem for Hewitt is in the last few years he was a dead man walking and everyone knew it. No coaches wanted to join his staff, and hard getting the recruits he was.
I think after the FF Hewitt saw himself as a mentor and hired less experienced coaches that he could mold. It showed on the floor

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talking to myself too, since I contributed to this current debacle, but when I tune into this thread I'm looking to see who landed the head coaching gig at NW Southeastern Tech St A&M.

I don't tune in for the 945th iteration of the 'what happened with Hewitt' roundup.

And just to put my money where my mouth is, here's some recent dirt ...

There, look at that. A DOBO job posting so those of us touting the GASt hire can participate in their resurgence. Last time GASt showed this much promise, we were all wondering what happened with Hewitt. Hmm, maybe we need to do a roundup? :unsure:

Ah, now we're right back where we started.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I questioned the basketball programs direction and was shunned as a traitor

Ah, that makes more sense. I get traitor vibes from you from time to time. :geek:

Kidding, for sure. Not sure how anyone can look at our direction and think ... totally think, all is well. Perhaps your delivery was a mite abrasive?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ah, that makes more sense. I get traitor vibes from you from time to time. :geek:

Kidding, for sure. Not sure how anyone can look at our direction and think ... totally think, all is well. Perhaps your delivery was a mite abrasive?

Eff em. I’m good with it. Love ya Shane…