Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect he doesn’t want to deal with NIL and portal. His world has changed. I know those were issues for Roy and K - recognizing that there time was pretty much up anyway. I think you are going to see a lot of the old guard decide to retire. Kind of surprised Boeheim and Laranaga haven’t

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the next 5 to 10 years I think many coaches in college basketball will start to retire by the time they are 60. Most of them make enough money that they can afford to.
There is alot of talk that it is just too much of a grind now with all the changes. It's a year round job with no real breaks and there are more things to deal with now than ever before.
If you think about the fact that over 40% of college basketball players put there name in the portal and that does not include many who use up their eligibility or go to play professionally, most coaches are going to have to contemplate 50-70% of their roster changing every year.

It does make you wonder how much longer Boeheim, Larranaga and Hamilton will go.

I think college basketball has become a young coaches game. There is so much responsibility and so many things you have to deal with, you have to have alot of energy to have any chance to succeed.

slugboy

Staff member
I think they can retire before 50. The ones who stay with coaching aren’t doing it for the money—but they do want the money and lots of it.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Jeeze, it is the Wild West out there! The status of the game is chaotic with the portal and NIL, etc. No wonder that many old schoolers will want to check-out. Heck, even as a fan I'm not sure it is worth embracing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jeeze, it is the Wild West out there! The status of the game is chaotic with the portal and NIL, etc. No wonder that many old schoolers will want to check-out. Heck, even as a fan I'm not sure it is worth embracing.
I would expect the big time basketball factories - Duke, UNC, KY, L'ville, AZ as well as a handful of others that just have deep pockets due to football will likely have alumni spending alot of money while others get what they get.

I get Tshiebwe's decision. He isn't listed as being on many mock drafts despite being a college All-American. His game doesn't fit (or at least the scouts don't think it does) the modern NBA game. But he can stay at KY for another year and make more than he would by going to play overseas.

In this way, not only can a blue blood win the one-on-one wars, but they can also end up with the best of the 4-yr college standouts who will likely transfer to a blue blood - like Oscar did at KY, because they can offer a larger NIL package.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
P5 coaches make big bank. Mid major coaches don't often make "retire at 50" money and many of them don' get their first head coaching gig until later. If you work on grad assistant, basketball ops and low assistant salaries for 20 years and then hit the mid major market as a HC, don't count on retiring before 60 at the earliest