Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only 2 real seasons at Elon for Schrage and he's underwhelmed as HC. Thought he'd pull some recruits, but tough to do with COVID preventing visits, I guess.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree that I expected bigger things from Schrage. Not sure if it was COVID or having to compete for attention with the Big 4 or Peter principle. Moving up I-85 for a spot on Duke bench wouldn't be the worst move for him right now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Haven't heard Snyder's in trouble. He seems to be beloved by the Utah folks and I think finishing in the playoffs (6 seed currently, but could end up 5 or 7 easily) again will mean no change. They stayed with Jerry Sloan for 20+ years, some great and some not so good. When he took over they were worst in the West (27 wins in '14) Missed playoffs first two years, but won 38 & 40 games. Solid playoff team last 6 years (including this one). Rumor had him going to Lakers, but I don't see that happening.

That's a fair point. UTA certainly does trend toward continuity. This year though, the West is way down and UTA has disappointed. And there are rumors of a major rift between their two 'stars'. Change is coming to Salt Lake.

I also heard the LAL rumors for Snyder but I can't see that either. If Lebron stays, it'll be one of his guys. Like Fitzdale.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree that I expected bigger things from Schrage. Not sure if it was COVID or having to compete for attention with the Big 4 or Peter principle. Moving up I-85 for a spot on Duke bench wouldn't be the worst move for him right now.
Duke likes to keep it in the family. I would expect a former player more likely to join the staff. It will be a good stepping stone job for whoever it is.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke likes to keep it in the family. I would expect a former player more likely to join the staff. It will be a good stepping stone job for whoever it is.
Schrage is a former non-bench coach at dook. His father, a GT professor, played with k at Army, I think.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's another source on the dook rumors.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If you like drama and intrigue, watch the Lasalle HC job search. Have been spurned by a couple of their top targets. Allegedly down to final two and think they have their guy, but a couple of very influential boosters aren't sold. Possible that a former UConn Husky with ties to GWU & Rutgers gets the nod.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you like drama and intrigue, watch the Lasalle HC job search. Have been spurned by a couple of their top targets. Allegedly down to final two and think they have their guy, but a couple of very influential boosters aren't sold. Possible that a former UConn Husky with ties to GWU & Rutgers gets the nod.
Yeah. Coaching Changes had Karl Hobbs as a possibility, due to Fran Dunphy turning it down. Dave Paulson was another name.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Wow..... Saturday in NOLA, the word was that Fran had no interest and Hobbs was the man. Reported concerns about Hobbs among prominent donors was said to be slowing down announcement. Guess they were still working Dunphy behind the scenes

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Believe so.

I don't think there will be one, but I could see Reveno moving on for the right low major head coaching gig.
I agree that we are probably going to stand pat. My guess is that Rev is done as a head coach. He had ten years at Portand with only two winning seasons. I think a bigger chance is that someone steals him away as an assistant.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Can we assume that the GT staff will remain intact?

I'd say so. I don't think we are likely to make a change. This year was bad but it was also kind of expected that we'd have a step back at some point for a variety of reasons. The questions for this staff are can they bounce back quickly, meaning next year, and then down the road can they push the next "high" a bit further than the previous one.

I don't really feel we need to make assistant moves at the moment so unless someone get's poached or leaves on their own, I would imagine we keep the same staff.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow..... Saturday in NOLA, the word was that Fran had no interest and Hobbs was the man. Reported concerns about Hobbs among prominent donors was said to be slowing down announcement. Guess they were still working Dunphy behind the scenes
FWIW I heard Fran tried really hard to get his former assistant Matt Langel (Colgate HC) to take the job to no avail. It's almost impossible to win there. Facilities are way behind. Temple can't even get the city kids to stay home let alone LaSalle. Dunphy is 74 so can't imagine he is there long. I've heard there will likely be a coach in waiting on the staff, possibly Hartford's John Gallagher.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Lasalle is a rough job, no doubt. Believe they are about to build new facilities for hoops. Not sure of timeline. Agree Dunphy is placeholder, perhaps tied to completion of new gym? Bring in me coach when facilities are better?