Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man you guys get your panties in a wad pretty easy. I was merely asking “will the coaching change at Ga St” now allow us to beat them like we were accustomed in the past. I had no idea the record was 16-1 prior to Pastner’s tenure but I figured the record had to be “a lot” to “a little if any”. You confirmed it. Pastner is 1-1, a 4OT loss and a 1OT win. Call me crazy, but that’s not what I expect out of GT basketball AND I’m not delusional thinking we’re going to be magically way better next year with Devoe and Usher gone. So, the only way we go back to beating Ga St damn near every year like it used to be is if they get worse. How hard is that to understand? Sorry to interrupt the back slapping on here and I’m sorry if the post was beneath everyone asking what I thought was a simple question. This is my last post on this issue. Fire away. You get the last word.
Georgia State has been pretty darn good under Lanier. He definitely upped their game, and there's probably a reason we haven't played them much lately. That being said, we should have handled them both times we played them. Pastner teams has been notorious for slow starts. That being said, until we start playing better at the beginning of the season, there are no guarantees.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Georgia State has been pretty darn good under Lanier. He definitely upped their game, and there's probably a reason we haven't played them much lately. That being said, we should have handled them both times we played them. Pastner teams has been notorious for slow starts. That being said, until we start playing better at the beginning of the season, there are no guarantees.
The slow starts to the Pastner seasons have been disappointing. This year we never caught fire at the end of the season as well.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cliff Warren & Jonas Hayes are early names at Georgia State.

Another good, stepping stone job filled.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gotta disagree with Goodman about the timing. The is responsible for the athletic department and waiting to save money for a buyout is a reasonable, and should be expected, move.

The only 'thing' I could say is that the athletic dept. could've led them along, which did indeed preclude them from seeking other jobs.

If I was the AD, I couldn't give them staff a heads up without likely giving the coach an open to sue me somehow.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
In all likleyhood, the AD told him it would happen. Butler isn't a factory of any kind, and Jordan is a Butler Alum. He still gets a payday, but his assistants, and him, were probably out there gauging interest. He can't leave on his own AND get the payday. Smart move by the AD, and I hope he did the right thing and gave a heads up to an Alum.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But, if the AD does that, the coach says he was not fired due to performance. He was fired to avoid an agreed-upon aspect of his contract = Butler's sued and, at worst, is negatively affected by the publicity.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There is little chance that Lavall and his staff didn't know, or have a strong suspicion that this would happen. 5th year at Butler and mediocre results and a downward trend. Maybe he thought he might get another year but unless the AD flat told him he was safe and then switched things then I don't see why he would be surprised.

Also, it's in the interest of the AD to at least insinuate that the coach consider other offers as it would save, or even net, Butler cash.

But, if the AD does that, the coach says he was not fired due to performance. He was fired to avoid an agreed-upon aspect of his contract = Butler's sued and, at worst, is negatively affected by the publicity.

Pretty sure there would be no legal ground for him to stand on. If Butler is paying a buy out then why he was fired shouldn't matter. My guess is he would have to argue that he was actually fired prior to the date it was released, but I'm not sure what the courts would even accept as proof of that. Certainly not just word of mouth. Maybe if he got it in an email or recording.

slugboy

Staff member
There is little chance that Lavall and his staff didn't know, or have a strong suspicion that this would happen. 5th year at Butler and mediocre results and a downward trend. Maybe he thought he might get another year but unless the AD flat told him he was safe and then switched things then I don't see why he would be surprised.

Also, it's in the interest of the AD to at least insinuate that the coach consider other offers as it would save, or even net, Butler cash.

Pretty sure there would be no legal ground for him to stand on. If Butler is paying a buy out then why he was fired shouldn't matter. My guess is he would have to argue that he was actually fired prior to the date it was released, but I'm not sure what the courts would even accept as proof of that. Certainly not just word of mouth. Maybe if he got it in an email or recording.
Agree. And the AD might not say “we wouldn’t mind if you found another job”, but should have had an end of year review where he told the coach that he was far from meeting expectations. But they might say the former.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta disagree with Goodman about the timing. The is responsible for the athletic department and waiting to save money for a buyout is a reasonable, and should be expected, move.
Agree.

And Goodman has a bias to say this. His bread is buttered by coaches and players, not ADs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with the other posters that this is not a big deal and the AD was largely doing his job.
In all honesty I would expect TStan to do the same with CGC or CJP if he had to make that move.

I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't have a good inkling of what was going to happen and they are free to look for new jobs whenever they want to.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree.

And Goodman has a bias to say this. His bread is buttered by coaches and players, not ADs.

My face when I realize I agree 100% with something cuse said.

annoyed jennifer lawrence GIF

RR's face when he realizes he agreed with something kg said ...

Reaction GIF