Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow. Wonder if there will be a coach in waiting.

Reminds me of something I heard a retired player say. Said, in the offseason when he's been away for a while and healthy, he feels good enough to do the job. But, once he realizes the grind associated with it if he jumps back into it, he understands why he retired. Stte.

Matta never retired but he stepped away for a reason. I imagine he feels good right now but who knows how he'll feel halfway into recruiting, training, season, etc.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. Wonder if there will be a coach in waiting.

Reminds me of something I heard a retired player say. Said, in the offseason when he's been away for a while and healthy, he feels good enough to do the job. But, once he realizes the grind associated with it if he jumps back into it, he understands why he retired. Stte.

Matta never retired but he stepped away for a reason. I imagine he feels good right now but who knows how he'll feel halfway into recruiting, training, season, etc.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My first thought is that it is better for us that he be a head coach at a local mid-major than he be a lead recruiter at a high major.
Players & power brokers in GA trust Jonas Hayes. Georgia State is a big student pop with a brand new arena opening.

It's a very realistic thought that he could bring high 3* and 4* kids to GA State that GT & UGA would have on recruiting lists as takes.

He may not bring in 5* kids, although anything is possible, but I would never schedule GA State again if Hayes is hired. Too much risk.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Players & power brokers in GA trust Jonas Hayes. Georgia State is a big student pop with a brand new arena opening.

It's a very realistic thought that he could bring high 3* and 4* kids to GA State that GT & UGA would have on recruiting lists as takes.

He may not bring in 5* kids, although anything is possible, but I would never schedule GA State again if Hayes is hired. Too much risk.

Yeah, kinda like when Lefty was there.

Again, this post is just further proof that dtm is a kg burner account. I don't disagree with a single letter.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
He will make Georgia State a destination for Atlanta kids. I expect him to be very successful as a head coach in Atlanta.
Gonna be another thorn in our side with ATL Hs and Portal kids. Gotta hope JP can get this team back in the tournament regularly and is able to close on some solid additions in the portal this spring. Now am I in no way advocating for Josh to be let go but if the time comes and Hayes is successful, well……..

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This will somehow be a pain in our ***, but not upset to see dook's bench weakened. I believe Scheyer has two spots open. Would guess Wojo gets one to start rehabbing his standing.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
They'll be a nice destination for boomerangs - guys that go out of state then transfer back.
Crap. There go Pastners best recruiting opportunities.

Rumor at NABC has Wojo going to Utah Jazz as assistant and Mike Schrage moving up 85 to take Smith’s seat. Believe Jefferson slides over to take the other AC spot

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Crap. There go Pastners best recruiting opportunities.

Rumor at NABC has Wojo going to Utah Jazz as assistant and Mike Schrage moving up 85 to take Smith’s seat. Believe Jefferson slides over to take the other AC spot

Thats interesting because I'd say there's a decent chance the Jazz will have a whole new staff after this season. They're crashing and burning again under Snyder who'd be the Duke connection for Wojo going there.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Haven't heard Snyder's in trouble. He seems to be beloved by the Utah folks and I think finishing in the playoffs (6 seed currently, but could end up 5 or 7 easily) again will mean no change. They stayed with Jerry Sloan for 20+ years, some great and some not so good. When he took over they were worst in the West (27 wins in '14) Missed playoffs first two years, but won 38 & 40 games. Solid playoff team last 6 years (including this one). Rumor had him going to Lakers, but I don't see that happening.