Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that Memphis is one of the schools whose case is with the IARP, not the NCAA Committee on Infractions, so it is a different process than the old NCAA process.
The big change is that the allegations are investigated by independent investigators. There is a notice of allegations and a response from the school. Then there is a 15 member committee that decides on punishment based on the investigation and school response,

The big difference is that the decision of the IARP committee is final, there is no appeal process. Whatever they decide is the final decision.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The findings include the dreaded "failure to cooperate" and to obstruct the investigation. That usually doesn't go well for the school, but we'll see. Maybe the NCAA will go the route of slaps on the wrist for violations to protect revenue flows. That seems likely to me, for them to make a lot of strongly worded reprisals, but with little actual penalties. Doesn't that make more sense based on how NCAA revenue producing sports are currently administered?

So, I think LSU and Memphis will not be prevented from carrying on as they have been.

Will Penny keep his job. From a GT recruiting perspective, I wouldn't mind to see Penny cast out of Memphis.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The findings include the dreaded "failure to cooperate" and to obstruct the investigation. That usually doesn't go well for the school, but we'll see. Maybe the NCAA will go the route of slaps on the wrist for violations to protect revenue flows. That seems likely to me, for them to make a lot of strongly worded reprisals, but with little actual penalties. Doesn't that make more sense based on how NCAA revenue producing sports are currently administered?

So, I think LSU and Memphis will not be prevented from carrying on as they have been.

Will Penny keep his job. From a GT recruiting perspective, I wouldn't mind to see Penny cast out of Memphis.
If that happens then we should put our 2009 ACC Championship trophy back in the case. The reason that was stripped was “failure to cooperate.” In the end, there was no reason Thomas should have been ruled ineligible. The clothing was returned and reparations were made. We lost those games because because the NCAA was being punitive.