Coaching Carousel 7 - When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
can anyone recall a college basketball coach that went back to a previous school and how they did in their 2nd stop compared to their first.

Jack Gardner at kansas state who left for WW2 I believe and reached two final fours in the second tenure.
Lorenzo Romar is in his second stint with Pepperdine and hasn't had much success
Joe Dooley at ECU who did not have much success

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I get that BJ McKie is an alum but going from targeting Sean Miller to possibly looking at McKie is an awfully big change.

On Miller, I expect he will have to serve some sort of suspension once the official NOA is provided to AZ, but it will be interesting to see how he does in round 2 at Xavier. I assume his hiring will make it more likely they keep their players and recruits on board. I can definitely think of some instances of this in college football but can anyone recall a college basketball coach that went back to a previous school and how they did in their 2nd stop compared to their first.
Dave Leitao at DePaul & Joe Dooley at East Carolina. Both fired.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

slugboy

Staff member
The old guard is dropping like flies. We already lost c62, for the most part. :confused:
@Connell62 added something good to the basketball conversation.

On the topic of coaching changes and even how the coaches did, I‘ll see articles that say something like “the 11-22 season was quietly coach Wooden’s best coaching job, and it set the foundation for everything that came after”. Aside from players playing hard the entire game or closing the margins towards the end of a season, how does someone find a good coaching job in the season with a poor record, unless they start going on title runs the next few years?

Which of these coaches shouldn’t have been fired?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
McMahan is also reportedly the focus for SCe today.
LSU is the better job, but in the short term it may be tougher since you have no idea what sort of sanctions LSU could be in for - and one of the NOA allegations is lack of institutional control for 8 years. That has the potential to be a big hit.

I would think Halloway would prefer The Hall to LSU.

SEC schools have definitely changed their focus this go around. Less hunting for 'big names' and more going for the hot mid-major coaches.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree on the SEC coach hiring strategy this go-round.

However, I wonder if it's also a combination of which jobs were available (most are fairly bad-middling jobs, including LSU due to pending sanctions) and which big names were out there.