Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Was poking around on the Inside Carolina board to read the latest on the coaching search.

The thread with the latest is up to 14 pages in less than 2 hours. Amazing.
So who are they hoping for more between Hubert Davis and Wes Miller?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So who are they hoping for more between Hubert Davis and Wes Miller?
I only read the insider post. I didn't bother with the rest. The other 3 names are who you'd expect from outside the Carolina Family - Mark Few, Brad Stevens, and Jay Wright. Expectations are that Wright won't be interested.

ETA: 39 pages in 4 hours. What would it take for us to have a thread explode like that? Did the Collins hiring thread do that?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I only read the insider post. I didn't bother with the rest. The other 3 names are who you'd expect from outside the Carolina Family - Mark Few, Brad Stevens, and Jay Wright. Expectations are that Wright won't be interested.

ETA: 39 pages in 4 hours. What would it take for us to have a thread explode like that? Did the Collins hiring thread do that?
It would require Brad Stewart to comment on the amount of juice on the sideline while we run option out of the shotgun in navy blue Russell Athletic jerseys.

That thread length also means Carolina’s next coach is as important as “Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal”.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The UNC hire will be interesting for any number of reasons. One is that it kind of puts a frame for just how good the top jobs in college basketball can be. Sometimes they have pulled in Williams, Cal, or Self. Other times it's been Doherty and Gillespie.

Honestly, if the go Miller or Davis it means either they just really want to keep it in the family like a UGA sidewalk fan or maybe these schools don't quite have the pull you'd expect.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It would require Brad Stewart to comment on the amount of juice on the sideline while we run option out of the shotgun in navy blue Russell Athletic jerseys.

That thread length also means Carolina’s next coach is as important as “Kadary Richmond in the transfer portal”.
I should mention this was on their premium board. Almost 1000 comments on their premium board in 4 hours.

It's just fascinating, as I just don't often think about the scale of large, rabid college fan bases. I typically stay in our silo when it comes to message boards.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moving up from UMBC, but surprised it's a move out west. Has been viewed as a future ACC coach down the road, given his success & family ties.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So they basically decided to stay within the 'Family'.

That will be interesting to see how it works out. It had long been rumored that Davis was pulled off of TV and onto the bench to eventually succeed Roy. I guess that was the plan all along and they stuck to it.
That could end up being a great hire or it could be a disaster, just have to wait and see.

I wonder if Davis will hire at least 1 former HC for his staff.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll say Hubert is not being set up for the same sort of initial sucess as Guthridge. UNC has been poor to mediocre the last 2 years and on paper doesn't have any incoming players likely to change that direction radically in the short term. Will see how this affects the players still on the team. I'm assuming it makes them more likely to stay but we'll see.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll say Hubert is not being set up for the same sort of initial sucess as Guthridge. UNC has been poor to mediocre the last 2 years and on paper doesn't have any incoming players likely to change that direction radically in the short term. Will see how this affects the players still on the team. I'm assuming it makes them more likely to stay but we'll see.
No doubt - I do think Hubert will hit the transfer portal hard with some sizzle from his new appointment. If you have some roster holes - and they do - now is as good a time as any to fix them quickly. On another level, I will be fascinated to see if he keeps the same double post focus that has been a staple for UNC basketball since Dean. Right now he has Bacott and no one else for sure after an abundance of post riches this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While this may turn out to be a decent hire, I doubt anyone in the ACC is more nervous about the Davis regime they would be with any generic former Div 1 head coach.

GT_EE78

Banned
No doubt - I do think Hubert will hit the transfer portal hard with some sizzle from his new appointment. If you have some roster holes - and they do - now is as good a time as any to fix them quickly. On another level, I will be fascinated to see if he keeps the same double post focus that has been a staple for UNC basketball since Dean. Right now he has Bacott and no one else for sure after an abundance of post riches this year.
I know about Kessler but does that mean that Brooks and Sharp have announced their intentions?