Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Were they scared of the UNC opening? Where was he going, really?

We should ask the AD. Wait, they don't have one.
Confused Bugs Bunny GIF by Looney Tunes

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I will miss Roy. My favorite story of him is from when Few first took the Zaga job there was some sort of Nike event in NYC (I believe) where all the prominent coaches in the country were there with their wives. Few was brand new, he was a nobody at the time. He and his wife felt super awkward, shy, out of place, and almost left because they felt so uncomfortable. They were surrounded by HOF’ers and their wives. The story goes Coach Boeheim, Coach K, among others, weren’t exactly taking an interest in this couple over there in the corner who nobody knew. Roy and his wife, sensing how unbelievably out of place and embarrassed the Fews felt, went over and broke the ice. They continued to eat dinner at their table, have drinks, great conversation, etc the remainder of the evening. With the Williams now mingling with the Fews then the other coaches at the event all eventually started to trickle over and talk to and spend time with the couple. Few and Williams are still great friends to this day, and their wives are as well. Awesome story. Roy is a really good man, but he can be hated on the court at times.
Would love to hear/see the story. Not discrediting Roy in that specific situation, other than by snarking about how no one was interesting in talking to him other than the lonely guy in the corner ;)

Few and Boeheim have been friends for as long as I can remember Mark Few being a head coach (e.g.,“He’s a really, really good friend, and he’s a mentor,” Few said., and “We became friends – a long time ago – I forget which Nike trip it was,” Boeheim recalled on the eve of today’s NCAA Sweet 16 game between his Syracuse Orange and Few’s Gonzaga Bulldogs). https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/mar/24/poker-fishing-basketball-among-things-uniting-mark/; http://dailyorange.com/2016/03/jim-...-few-have-relationship-far-beyond-basketball/

Also, I don't see any reason for Few to leave the Zags for North Carolina. Like, almost literally no reason, barring a crazy $$$ offer that might still be shortsighted in the long-run of earning potential.

Milwaukee

Banned
Would love to hear/see the story. Not discrediting Roy in that specific situation, other than by snarking about how no one was interesting in talking to him other than the lonely guy in the corner ;)

Few and Boeheim have been friends for as long as I can remember Mark Few being a head coach (e.g.,“He’s a really, really good friend, and he’s a mentor,” Few said., and “We became friends – a long time ago – I forget which Nike trip it was,” Boeheim recalled on the eve of today’s NCAA Sweet 16 game between his Syracuse Orange and Few’s Gonzaga Bulldogs). https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/mar/24/poker-fishing-basketball-among-things-uniting-mark/; http://dailyorange.com/2016/03/jim-...-few-have-relationship-far-beyond-basketball/

Also, I don't see any reason for Few to leave the Zags for North Carolina. Like, almost literally no reason, barring a crazy $$$ offer that might still be shortsighted in the long-run of earning potential.
Yes they’re all good friends now and have been for a long time. Roy was the first to “welcome” him into the fraternity. Neuheisel tells the story in greater detail than myself if you can find the audio.

“It was a bittersweet connection for Few and his wife, Marcy Laca-Few, who enjoy a close bond with Tar Heels' coach Roy Williams and Williams' wife, Wanda. As reported by the Chicago Tribune, Mark and Marcy felt out of place at a Nike-sponsored camp that was, according to Mark, "a gathering of just basically legendary coaches." Fortunately, Williams took Mark and Marcy under his wing and made them feel welcome.”

Read More: https://www.nickiswift.com/358451/t...k-fews-wife-marcy-laca-few/?utm_campaign=clip

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The rollover doesn't mean anything. It's more symbolic than anything. The important thing is the buyout. Here is what I found on that.

"As for the buyout, if Self is terminated without cause, the Jayhawks will owe him a full year of salary ($5.41 million), plus whatever he had earned on his contract for that year (including the retention bonus)"

Even if that was a full two years of salary for about 11mil, that really isn't that big a deal to a place like Kansas for a coach like Self. That's barely more than what Indiana paid Archie Miller to go away. Yes, it's a lot of money. Self is also one of the most accomplished coaches in the game, still fairly young (58) when compared to many of the elite coaches, and has been about as consistent as you could possibly be there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The rollover doesn't mean anything. It's more symbolic than anything. The important thing is the buyout. Here is what I found on that.

"As for the buyout, if Self is terminated without cause, the Jayhawks will owe him a full year of salary ($5.41 million), plus whatever he had earned on his contract for that year (including the retention bonus)"

Even if that was a full two years of salary for about 11mil, that really isn't that big a deal to a place like Kansas for a coach like Self. That's barely more than what Indiana paid Archie Miller to go away. Yes, it's a lot of money. Self is also one of the most accomplished coaches in the game, still fairly young (58) when compared to many of the elite coaches, and has been about as consistent as you could possibly be there.
Bingo.