Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know about Kessler but does that mean that Brooks and Sharp have announced their intentions?
Sharpe has announced he is going to the NBA (though I think he hasn't cut all cords) and Brooks could come back but so far as I know hasn't said he is.

GT_EE78

Banned
i think it's a no lose situation for the NC AD.
He stayed within the family and to the best of my knowledge there wasn't any legacy NC guy out there with P5 HC and NCAAT experience.
Davis has a good chance to succeed and had quite a few years to to learn from Roy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The fact that he has to introduce himself to Carolina fans says it all. The kids coming out of HS now have to Google him to know anything at all about why he is the new coach.
Doubt that - I expect the potential players that move the needle at UNC have all been recruited by him or met him at AAU and other events. I don't think this is any kind of stealth hire.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Doubt that - I expect the potential players that move the needle at UNC have all been recruited by him or met him at AAU and other events. I don't think this is any kind of stealth hire.
You may be right. If so, it could turn out fine for UNC. I am in the corner with all the skeptics right now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. If so, it could turn out fine for UNC. I am in the corner with all the skeptics right now.
Don't take my comment as a guarantee he is going to succeed. Never been a head coach, huge expectations, modest (though not terrible by any stretch) roster. My only comment above was players will know who he is. They won't know him as a head coach though.

I doubt he pulls a Daugherty so I fully expect he will have the family behind him for a couple/several years. But it is a production position.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not having HC experience is a good reason to be sceptical, but Roy had 9 years to train him so he might be fairly well prepared.
He worked at ESPN after the NBA and has had 9 years under Roy as you said. Lot to like there and he has all the soft skills you would want as a CEO / front man kind of guy. Very reasonable hire though not a Brad Stevens level - but he has every opportunity and advantage to be successful.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He worked at ESPN after the NBA and has had 9 years under Roy as you said. Lot to like there and he has all the soft skills you would want as a CEO / front man kind of guy. Very reasonable hire though not a Brad Stevens level - but he has every opportunity and advantage to be successful.
Immediately after Roy announced his retirement there was speculation about Carolina going after Mark Few. I never thought that would happen, but there's a decent sized gap between Davis and Few.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I used Brad Stevens who there was also some noise about - same as Few. There is a gap. UNC chose to keep it in the family. I like this more than Wes Miller (who is a good coach). The faithful at UNC know Davis and will rally behind him for at least a good while. Time will tell.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps I don’t understand this whole “(u)NC love” thing. Shouldn’t we be rooting for them to hire someone like Tom Crean or, I don’t know, my cat?