Coaching Carousel 6 - You can't make everyone happy. You are not bacon.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The one year that no one should use to draw conclusions is 2021. This should be obvious.
I understand your point and I strongly believe the ACC will return to its rightful place at the top. However, we are not there now and now is our current reality. It's no longer 2017.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point and I strongly believe the ACC will return to its rightful place at the top. However, we are not there now and now is our current reality. It's no longer 2017.
The last NCAA tournament champion is from the ACC. I fail to understand your point. The ACC isn't one of the conferences needing to make excuses for failing to win for a decade.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you can’t see the ACC is on the down swing then you are blind. The ACC is no longer attracting the top talent. If you look at the top 50 2021 players the only two ACC schools listed are Duke and FSU. Coach K won’t be around much longer and when he retires Duke will drop. Meanwhile, the SEC is getting a lot of the top 50 guys as are Gonzaga and Michigan. The worm has turned. I hate to see it but to be honest I don’t mind it. The ACC has hosed my school at every turn so watching Tobacco Road lose their luster doesn’t hurt me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you can’t see the ACC is on the down swing then you are blind. The ACC is no longer attracting the top talent. If you look at the top 50 2021 players the only two ACC schools listed are Duke and FSU. Coach K won’t be around much longer and when he retires Duke will drop. Meanwhile, the SEC is getting a lot of the top 50 guys as are Gonzaga and Michigan. The worm has turned. I hate to see it but to be honest I don’t mind it. The ACC has hosed my school at every turn so watching Tobacco Road lose their luster doesn’t hurt me.

Did you know GT had the chance to leave the ACC and go to the Big Ten? Just throwing it out there because what the hell...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You might want to go back to when GT was able to join the ACC with an outdoor weight room and a prez thinking of going to DIii. Got asked to join the highest paying conference even though they really didn't need to split their payouts. Might actually want to thank Duke and UNC.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chris Beard taking the Texas job resulted in 3 head coaching positions opening - Texas Tech, UTEP, and UT-Arlington.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lol, did not work out so well for Maryland.

Hasn't gone well for Nebraska, or Rutgers. All 3 programs were trending down when they joined B1G...and the competition in that conference just accelerated it.

I think GT would have been fine. In football, we were still under CPJ, and that offense would have won it's usual 6-9 games. In basketball, we might have done slightly better but probably still been in the lower half of the B1G with Brian Gregory.

The bottom line for our athletic department would have no questioned done a LOT better. Moving to the B1G may have accelerated Gregory's firing given more cash to play with.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps I don’t understand this whole “(u)NC love” thing. Shouldn’t we be rooting for them to hire someone like Tom Crean or, I don’t know, my cat?

I don't want to root for them to come down to us. I want to root for us to move up to where they normally reside. That is better for us in 2 ways.

First, whether we like it or not conference perceptions rest partly on how well the 'premier' programs in a conference perform. If they underperform then the whole conference underperforms in many people's 'eyes'. And while conference reputation is not supposed to play a role in Tourney slots it is naive to think that it does not.

Second, in basketball how much money you make in the Tournament rests on how well the conference as a whole performs. This was the ACC's worst year in some time in the Tourney and that will have a negative effect on the bottom lines of the various conference members budgets.
That doesn't mean you have to turn into fans of other programs, it just means you need to understand that it is much better to have alot of strong teams, than a lot of mediocre teams in your conference.

if we beat UNC because they are mediocre and we are mediocre, that is not nearly as satisfying as beating them when they are good and we are good.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to root for them to come down to us. I want to root for us to move up to where they normally reside. That is better for us in 2 ways.

First, whether we like it or not conference perceptions rest partly on how well the 'premier' programs in a conference perform. If they underperform then the whole conference underperforms in many people's 'eyes'. And while conference reputation is not supposed to play a role in Tourney slots it is naive to think that it does not.

Second, in basketball how much money you make in the Tournament rests on how well the conference as a whole performs. This was the ACC's worst year in some time in the Tourney and that will have a negative effect on the bottom lines of the various conference members budgets.
That doesn't mean you have to turn into fans of other programs, it just means you need to understand that it is much better to have alot of strong teams, than a lot of mediocre teams in your conference.

if we beat UNC because they are mediocre and we are mediocre, that is not nearly as satisfying as beating them when they are good and we are good.
All true.

My comment was intended more along this line of thinking: after Carolina spent years funneling their athletes into sham courses that would maintain their eligibility, it would be poetic justice if the quality of their basketball program plummeted to match the quality of the (non)-education they had been giving those athletes all those years...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chris Beard taking the Texas job resulted in 3 head coaching positions opening - Texas Tech, UTEP, and UT-Arlington.

Beard to Texas has now opened 4 HC jobs. Also, it's Portland, so gotta wonder if this is a situation that would interest Rev.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fingers crossed on this one.

Jonas (and his twin brother Jarvis) played at Western Carolina before transferring to UGA.
Jarvis is now an asst at Ga St. I wonder if Jonas gets the HC gig if he'll hire his twin brother as one of his assts.

One other note about the Hayes brothers - they could have been Jackets. Their father placed his first call after they had decided to transfer to Cremins about a week after he announced his retirement. The twins were a package deal (Jarvis was the one schools were most interested in) and Cremins said he would be interested but that he only had 1 scholarship at that time and with a new HC being hired he didn't want to force that coach to take 2 kids that he didn't get the chance to recruit. They ended up going to UGA and the rest is history.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Hayes ends up at Tennessee, not ideal for us to recruit against. Might also mean he's holding out to go straight to the UGA job.