Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He is 66 and you have to guess wanted one last challenge. Not far from Michigan (sort of) and I think his kid just took over at Niagra which is driving distance. I think I heard one of his former players is the ***'t GM. 5 year contract so if he finishes it he is 71. Doubt he finishes either from Cleveland's perspective or his.

I like his offense and looking forward to seeing his principals work in the NBA with some tweeks.

This could also indicate that Cleveland is moving forward with its 'youth movement' and wants a coach that can 'relate' to college age players. Looking at their roster, one would wonder if they will look to dump many of the veterans and attempt to address their salary cap, like the Hawks did.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think they go the youth route as well which makes the magnitude of the Love signing so weird. That contract is going to be almost impossible to move. From the little I followed them last year's pick Sexton seemed to do pretty well so adding Barrett or even Zion would be a good foundation to build on.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
They will do the Michigan thing and hire a former player that’s coaching.... The guy at Butler(Can’t think of his name) or Juwan Howard. The way things are going in LA, Rob Palinka might want to throw his name in the ring. Lol

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think they go the youth route as well which makes the magnitude of the Love signing so weird. That contract is going to be almost impossible to move. From the little I followed them last year's pick Sexton seemed to do pretty well so adding Barrett or even Zion would be a good foundation to build on.

Love's contract is moveable. They'll just have to pay to do it. If not, they can keep him and still lose as much as they need to. It's not like he or Tristan are moving the needle from a win standpoint.

I'm kinda shocked they went the Beilein route though. If all you want to do is lose/build for the future, you can hire some young j.a.g. (just a guy) for cheap.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Love gives them a solid pro with no idea of being the star. He will be a great teammate for whichever of the lottery picks arrives in Cleveland. They are still going to lose, but the new star will have a very supportive veteran on the floor with him. Then they draft again in 2020.

Remember not long ago Philadelphia was losing. Three years ago they only won ten games. They got their current lineup in multiple drafts.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't need to pay $30 M per year for a "solid pro". That ought to be a difference maker - not "no idea of being the star". Generally don't see max contract guys on rebuilding teams. I can't see anyone taking on $120M commitment for his game - and I do actually think he is a solid pro. It's a mismatch in term of rebuilding versus contracts but if they want to use him to sell tickets I guess so. o_O :confused:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't need to pay $30 M per year for a "solid pro". That ought to be a difference maker - not "no idea of being the star". Generally don't see max contract guys on rebuilding teams. I can't see anyone taking on $120M commitment for his game - and I do actually think he is a solid pro. It's a mismatch in term of rebuilding versus contracts but if they want to use him to sell tickets I guess so. o_O :confused:

Heh, you're not wrong. I think they view him as a means to making the mythical salary "floor". He's tradeable though. Still very good (well, good enough).

John Wall is where you should be looking for an untradeable contract. That dude's extension hasn't even started yet, bro. IIUC, he'll be making nearly $50mil per year in 4 years, bro. Not next year, bro. In 4 years, bro! His game ain't gon' age well, bro. Broooo?!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
All bros aside
Love has value just overpriced so hard to move
As much as I enjoyed watching John wall “grow up” on the basketball courts of Raleigh, he has very little value and a contract that will make Washington irrelevant for years