Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This one also has some names for a potential future list we may someday need to put together.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GA State really **** the bed here and I'm only 4 paragraphs in.

I agree they dropped the ball on this one.

On the flip-side, I did find it odd that Hunter's name was always in the mill as being open to leave. Didn't his 'people' openly campaign for the GT gig after Gregory was fired? Seemed to be a guy always looking to trade-up. That's the nature of the business, for sure. But there's a way to navigate that process. Maybe GSt was tired of it?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

On the flip-side, I did find it odd that Hunter's name was always in the mill as being open to leave. Didn't his 'people' openly campaign for the GT gig after Gregory was fired? Seemed to be a guy always looking to trade-up. That's the nature of the business, for sure. But there's a way to navigate that process. Maybe GSt was tired of it?

I don't remember him ever openly campaigning for the GT job.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Talking to some folks in the know, Hunter didn't handle this well on the way out. Should've just said, "thanks for the opportunity, I'll always be a panther, blah, blah, blah....," not "they didn't give me a long term contract so I bolted." He was making around $600,000 and will get $1 million or so at Tulane. In the end, that's what it's about. $$$

My opinion is that he seems to be a good coach, but a bit brash as shown by his exit from GSU. Maybe that's why he isn't getting a power conference job and just moving up to a larger mid major. Will likely do a good job at Tulane, but I don't think I'd want him as our coach. Just my $0.02.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Hunter wins at Tulane he will really earn a high major job in my opinion. That will not be an easy place to win at.
Perry Clark was the last one to take the program to the NCAA - in 1995, the only coach to do it since it was shut down in the '80's.

Hasn't been to an NIT since 2000.

Fans should also keep in mind that not many coaches jump from one power conference job to another. averages about 2-3 per year and there is often a specific reason behind it. You also can get that many former high major coaches who are out of a job take positions in a year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Talking to some folks in the know, Hunter didn't handle this well on the way out. Should've just said, "thanks for the opportunity, I'll always be a panther, blah, blah, blah....," not "they didn't give me a long term contract so I bolted." He was making around $600,000 and will get $1 million or so at Tulane. In the end, that's what it's about. $$$

My opinion is that he seems to be a good coach, but a bit brash as shown by his exit from GSU. Maybe that's why he isn't getting a power conference job and just moving up to a larger mid major. Will likely do a good job at Tulane, but I don't think I'd want him as our coach. Just my $0.02.

He got GSU to the tourney 3x in 8 years, while winning a ton of games, and they weren't returning his agent's phone calls last summer about extending his contract that had 1 year left.

I don't know. Seems reasonable that he'd be frustrated and not feel the need to be graceful in his exit.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Hunter left a one bid league for a multi-bid league. The American just signed a new TV contract that pays about a quarter of a Power 5 contract, in other words a lot more than other non-power leagues (about $7 or 8 million per team). The Big East has a TV contract that pays approximately what the Power 5 get for basketball without having to fund football.

The American and Big East are able to hire the coaches from the one bid leagues when they choose to do that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure I'm as indignant as the twitterer ...

... but I do think it smacked of being a low-brow type of thing for a HC to do.

I'd expect random posters to do something like this or, say, make fun of a guy for his choice of ice cream but not a head coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Poor attempt at taking the attention away from your questionable ice cream choices...

Got it, Dan.

On GASt, why wouldn't a guy like Moton jump there? Is it not a significant step up for him? Could get him for (relatively) cheap.