Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Isn't Paul Hewitt to my other school, Georgia State, a no-brainer? :playful:

In all seriousness, I can't imagine any scenario where Hewitt gets a college job in next five years or longer. Went from a near national title to a total bust at George Mason and his reputation took a major hit as well. I'm not sure a mid major would even hire him at this point. As with Hunter at GSU, I think you need to handle yourself with class, don't burn bridges and, in Hewitt's case, know why you're there....to win basketball games, not to get players to the NBA or work for the BCA or get into it with Steak and Cellini on sports talk radio. Heard that things were a mess at George Mason. Sad because he had so much potential.

Amazing how we (GT) can blow two ultimate experiences, winning the National Championship in 1990 and falling to 1-10 four years later and going to the National Championship game in basketball and becoming irrelevant basically five years later for the next decade. Sad.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The Vanderbilt student newspaper is calling for Vanderbilt to hire San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon to be their next men's basketball head coach
This would be cool and I'm definitely for it but I fear the backlash against the first woman's Division I men's basketball coach when she realistically wins 5 total SEC games over her first 2 years. It's not getting any easier for an academic-focused, clean program like Vandy in the SEC with the strong-*** offers being dropped right now by the rest of the conference.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
This would be cool and I'm definitely for it but I fear the backlash against the first woman's Division I men's basketball coach when she realistically wins 5 total SEC games over her first 2 years. It's not getting any easier for an academic-focused, clean program like Vandy in the SEC with the strong-*** offers being dropped right now by the rest of the conference.
Of course looking at Candy's instant turnaround in recruiting, I'm confident they were also making strong-*** offers.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
In all seriousness, I can't imagine any scenario where Hewitt gets a college job in next five years or longer. Went from a near national title to a total bust at George Mason and his reputation took a major hit as well. I'm not sure a mid major would even hire him at this point. As with Hunter at GSU, I think you need to handle yourself with class, don't burn bridges and, in Hewitt's case, know why you're there....to win basketball games, not to get players to the NBA or work for the BCA or get into it with Steak and Cellini on sports talk radio. Heard that things were a mess at George Mason. Sad because he had so much potential.

Amazing how we (GT) can blow two ultimate experiences, winning the National Championship in 1990 and falling to 1-10 four years later and going to the National Championship game in basketball and becoming irrelevant basically five years later for the next decade. Sad.
Hey, if I had as much money as Hewitt does now (mostly from GT) I'd probably do whatever the heck I wanted as well. We blame him for a lot when we maybe should be blaming our own administrators. I have no inside info, so I have no idea if he was upfront and honest about how he planned to do things (focus on getting kids into NBA, BCA etc etc)...but if he was, then it ain't on him. In my limited contact with the man, he seemed honorable and a straight shooter. But, I'm just a fan..I know NOTHING.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The smartest thing Slive did there was getting all the schools in a room and basically telling them to stop ratting each other out.
Remember when the SEC programs were always getting on probation - it was basically because a school would get pissed off about what another school did and rat them out to the NCAA.
Slive just made it so that they don't tattle on each other and it is better for all of them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

The news here is that a lot of folks said he was more likely to sign the extension with IowaSt than leaving for Bama. This confirms it.

And, I guess, a couple folks here are happy he's not going back "home" (to Bama) and thereby leaving open the possibility that he'd leave for another job at some point.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

The news here is that a lot of folks said he was more likely to sign the extension with IowaSt than leaving for Bama. This confirms it.

And, I guess, a couple folks here are happy he's not going back "home" (to Bama) and thereby leaving open the possibility that he'd leave for another job at some point.

The rumor going around Alabama is that Alabama is talking to former Ohio State head coach Thad Matta about their head coaching vacancy