Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Goodman is correct, Matta turned down the uga offer. Or uga withdrew it. The latter seems unlikely, but you can't tell what they might have done once Tubby was officially out at Memphis.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty interesting read from Forde on MEM ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/tubby-smit...hardaway-likely-costly-mistake-165813720.html

(As this Hardaway scheme gathered steam, an idea was floated that he might bring onboard Hall of Famer Larry Brown as an assistant in charge of actual coaching. While Brown is on the short list of best basketball coaches ever, he also is on the short list of the most crooked college coaches ever — three programs (UCLA, Kansas and SMU) three NCAA probations. Memphis has always been a bandit program itself, with its two most recent Final Four appearances vacated (1985 and 2008), but bringing in Larry Brown would be brazen even by bandit standards.)/QUOTE]

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lorenzo, I thought it would be interesting to see what Matta would do.
As mentioned, his contract is actually pretty strict, especially given his real health issues, that he has to at least took a real look at jobs, even if he doesn't accept them.

Going to have to go to the UGA basketball board. They were convinced last night that he was coming and they would have Hagans recommit would be a Tourney team next season.

Will be interesting to see if they pursue Crean now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lorenzo, I thought it would be interesting to see what Matta would do.
As mentioned, his contract is actually pretty strict, especially given his real health issues, that he has to at least took a real look at jobs, even if he doesn't accept them.

Going to have to go to the UGA basketball board. They were convinced last night that he was coming and they would have Hagans recommit would be a Tourney team next season.

Will be interesting to see if they pursue Crean now.

If Crean's reputation as a bit of a turd is accurate, I could see him being miffed at not being 1st choice.

Honestly, I can see UGA ending up with Ron Hunter. Well, I should say, it wouldn't surprise me and it wouldn't be a terrible hire for them. He'd at least be able to feign enthusiasm. Seemed clear Matta wasn't serious there. Just checking his 'keep my health benefits going' box. Having his brother come out all pro-UGA was a nice touch.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Does this clause strike anyone else as peculiar? I would liken it to the Rooney rule in the NFL.

Ok we have to do this but ultimately its meaningless and does not achieve the desired result.

"Let me go through this process, ow my back hurts, i cant provide the dedication required to to accept this position"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Even though we pretty much knew this was happening, still feels kinda slimy that it's happening so fast. Then again, it's Memphis so 'slimy' is the name of the game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the Memphis front there have been rumors that Penny steered his players away from Memphis because he wanted the HC job there. He had been offered an asst spot before and turned it down.
Given Tubby had a $9.75MM buyout have to think they are going to be looking for the hometown discount and given Penny's coaching experience is his AAU team and a couple of years at Memphis East (which is loaded with his AAU players) you have to think he would be an inexpensive hire.

On UGA, I wonder if they will try to go after the other 'name' coach they had been rumored with or turn to a younger, mid major type coach? I've heard Charleston's Earl Grant mentioned with UGA in the past.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Pitt has announced they have hired Eddie Fogler's firm.
Funny thing is Cardiac Hill saw it as a good thing and touted some of his previous placements. They clearly didn't look at a full list.