Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of thoughts. Miller should be a good fit in IND and his contract fits into what the market has been doing this spring. If Martin and Underwood are getting $3MM/y deals then Miller had to be for more - a more high profile school and Miller's resume is a little better than either of those 2.

Biggest winner: Chris Mack. He can not sit back and wait for OSU to open. When it does he is the obvious pick and his contract demands start at $4MM.

Word is UMass plans to hold Kelsey to his buyout in his memorandum of understanding - $1MM.

Dayton is a school who is strong enough to get a power conference coach but their MO has always been to get a highly regarded asst. Will be interesting to see what they do with this hire.

OK ST and Cal both didn't want to pay the market for their coaches so went with assts. Cal is also a tough place to coach so that added an extra layer.

IMO G'town is making a mistake possibly thinking. They have been basically in the same family for decades and many of their fans want a change - that is not Ewing.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interested to see how the Kelsey buyout plays out. He was making $250K, doubt he can afford that out of his own pocket. I'd guess he hires a good lawyer and gets out if it.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow just read the above posts and saw that Miller is going to Indiana. I wonder if CBG is having second thoughts about taking the USF gig last week.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow just read the above posts and saw that Miller is going to Indiana. I wonder if CBG is having second thoughts about taking the USF gig last week.

I doubt it.
Dayton is not going to re-hire him. He landed in probably the best spot he could.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
I still cannot understand Georgetown's infatuation with Patrick Ewing. They'd be better off going after Craig Robinson whose brother is very popular in DC.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Hiring John Thompson lll for Men's basketball head coach after firing Craig Esherick.

They made a Final Four with JTIII as coach. Things have gone downhill since then but that's still more than many coaches accomplish and even with these last seasons he still won 64% of his games at the school with 3 Big East Titles.
They stopped recruiting players straight from jail.

Other than Iverson whose situation was screwed up who did they recruit straight from jail? Mutombo? Ewing? Mourning? Hibbert? Porter?
Ridiculous statement.
I still cannot understand Georgetown's infatuation with Patrick Ewing. They'd be better off going after Craig Robinson whose brother is very popular in DC.
John Thompson's presence is still large around there to the point that many people thought that his son would get at least another year to right the ship which didn't happen. Ewing is connected to the program and to Thompson obviously. He's also has been a NBA assistant for awhile now who has also been a head coaching candidate.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably because he's an excellent coach. I don't see any reason he couldn't be successful if he hires a staff that compensates for his short comings, similar to what Pastner did here.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
They made a Final Four with JTIII as coach. Things have gone downhill since then but that's still more than many coaches accomplish and even with these last seasons he still won 64% of his games at the school with 3 Big East Titles.

Other than Iverson whose situation was screwed up who did they recruit straight from jail? Mutombo? Ewing? Mourning? Hibbert? Porter?
Ridiculous statement.

John Thompson's presence is still large around there to the point that many people thought that his son would get at least another year to right the ship which didn't happen. Ewing is connected to the program and to Thompson obviously. He's also has been a NBA assistant for awhile now who has also been a head coaching candidate.
You know I'm a Syracuse fan, right? All it takes is one example for me to make flippant statements about the Hoyas. And then Victor Page post-college to drive it home.

Oh, and Patrick Ewing can't read. I think he's still taking an untimed test.

;)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Ridiculous statement.

He's a part time Syracuse fan. Nothing different than what we say about UGA.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
You know I'm a Syracuse fan, right? All it takes is one example for me to make flippant statements about the Hoyas. And then Victor Page post-college to drive it home.

Oh, and Patrick Ewing can't read. I think he's still taking an untimed test.

;)
The good ole days when every Georgetown-Syracuse game was a brawl and were filled with cheap shots like the fight between Patrick Ewing and Pearl Washington in the 1985 Big East Tournament.