Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Just from a psyche point of view AM fit Dayton well. He is a short guy who had to prove he could play with the big boys; Dayton is a mid major who had to prove they could play with the P5. How
AM deals with the psyche at IU, which is almost a direct opposite remains to be seen.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll jump in on the side of "over-hyped", recognizing "hype" is relative to what you read and hear.

My perception is there are pundits suggesting Miller is a can't miss/rock solid hire. Disagree here. Some are a little less aggressive in putting him in the class of best available. That's about the tipping point for me. I think Chris Mack is superior to Miller, though they're lumped in the same category.

If you look at Miller's resume at Dayton, he's gotten to the Sweet 16 once. Otherwise he hasn't done much in the tournament.

The timing was right for him to move on and he struck while the iron was still hot. Dayton's top 4 guys in minutes this year are seniors. With that core he was knocked out of the first round the last two years by 10 seeds. I'll grant him that Wichita State should have been seeded higher this year. In 2015 he was beaten by a coach that some here say is on a downward trend (Boeheim).

I think he's a good coach though. His regular season record improved over the years. But beyond that, unproven imo. He won the A10 regular season twice. If regular season was what IU wanted (it's not), then Crean had a compelling case to stay. So we'll see.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'll jump in on the side of "over-hyped", recognizing "hype" is relative to what you read and hear.

My perception is there are pundits suggesting Miller is a can't miss/rock solid hire. Disagree here. Some are a little less aggressive in putting him in the class of best available. That's about the tipping point for me. I think Chris Mack is superior to Miller, though they're lumped in the same category.

If you look at Miller's resume at Dayton, he's gotten to the Sweet 16 once. Otherwise he hasn't done much in the tournament.

The timing was right for him to move on and he struck while the iron was still hot. Dayton's top 4 guys in minutes this year are seniors. With that core he was knocked out of the first round the last two years by 10 seeds. I'll grant him that Wichita State should have been seeded higher this year. In 2015 he was beaten by a coach that some here say is on a downward trend (Boeheim).

I think he's a good coach though. His regular season record improved over the years. But beyond that, unproven imo. He won the A10 regular season twice. If regular season was what IU wanted (it's not), then Crean had a compelling case to stay. So we'll see.

Put in this perspective I guess I would agree. Of those coaching in the "Mid Majors" I'd say in tiers it's:

1-Marshall and Mack

2-Miller, Kermit Davis

3-Forbes, Cluess, McCall, Kelsey

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Who do y'all think will be shown the door or retire during and after the 2017-2018 season? I think if Tennessee is around 16-16 again that Rick Barnes will retire. He's i believe 65 and not even putting forth an effort in coaching or recruiting anymore. The problem for Tennessee is the problem they will always have in Men's Basketball. When they go looking for a new head coach the only ones they can hire are "hot shot" assistants from major college basketball powers or a "up and coming" head coach from a mid-major school. I could see Tennessee hiring East Tennessee State head coach Steve Forbes to replace Rick Barnes when he retires.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm beginning to think I was correct in thinking Mack won't be leaving. I just think he's content. That's just my feeling.

I don't see Barnes going anywhere anytime soon. He will be hireable if things don't work at Tennessee. I wonder about McKillop though it's not a P5. I am more interested in parachute guys than retirees.

Howland, Pearl, Barnes, Williad (unlikely) , Chambers, Turgeon, Colorados Coach Thad...something, Fox, Brownell....

These guys could all be looking for the exit strategy before they get fired. Next years carousel could make this look tame.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Howland Pearl and Turgeon might be a reach to say they are worried about getting fired next year. Fox should be beyond worried. Others I don't know.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
That is stiff for both pay and years

Stiff is one word... If those numbers are correct, it really doesn't make much financial sense for an up-and-coming coach to get their brains bashed in by hall of fame coaches running blue-blood programs in a mega-conference like the ACC. It seems the move these days is to make a name for yourself at the mid major level, and be patient. Wonder what Chris Mack is worth on the current market?