Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You guys belittling Cincinnati and have never been there is funny. Annually Cincinnati is named one of the most livable cities. But that doesn't really matter to my statement that Chris Mack loves living in Cincy. It's his hometown and he has spurned other offers to leave. Now Xavier is one win from the Final Four and I wonder what, other than more money, any other program could offer him. He is apparently living a very happy and comfortable life. Events may prove me wrong, but I remain a skeptic regarding his interest in the IU job. Bloomington? You gotta be kidding.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not very sophisticated i eat either Breyers or Ben and Jerry's ice cream;)

Next time you go to a GT game, head over the Jeni's ice cream on the west side. It's like 2 blocks from GT's campus. Best boutique ice cream joint in Atlanta. There's probably going to be a line (there's ALWAYS a line...even at 10pm at night), but it's worth the wait. It'll make a GT victory even that much more sweeter.

They've got a location in downtown Decatur and Krog Street Market if you're in those areas and feel like some of the cold stuff.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Dude, I had you all wrong. I thought you were a hi-filutin ice cream lover. Mayfield? That's as mass produced as mass produced gets. Yes it's good ice cream in the way that Toyotas are good cars, but no self described bougie ice cream lover uses Mayfield to defend his bougie ways.

You're a wanna-be bougie ice cream guy. Ugh, not sure sure you even rise to level worth contempt now....

That hurts. You're almost as mean as dtm. Almost.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That hurts. You're almost as mean as dtm. Almost.

Eh...you and @dtm1997 make like you two hate each other, but there's really a school yard "I hate you...(I actually have a crush on you)" romance going on. We're going to find you two holding hands and sharing an ice cream cone at a GT game one day. Not that there's anything wrong with that....:whistle:

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Cincy is a pretty cool city. I spent time there when I was consulting and had clients there. I doesn't blow you away if you're there for a day or two, but if you stick around, it's a really friendly and very livable city with a lot to do. Cleveland? Not so much. Had to spend way too many nights at the downtown Marriott and the one by the airport and I was always dying to get on the plane home. (I'm not a fan of Skyline chili, but the CVG natives think it's the best)

@Techster is right about Jeni's. Good stuff. I also like High Road and am psyched they will have a presence at the Braves' new joint.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Alford staying at UCLA

^^im skeptical buts the latest and greatest

Seems to be in line with what @GTJackets said recently about Mack and Kelsey. This carousel has been intriguing

Ewing is in consideration at GTown, that's an emotional hire to me, and a mistake. Hoyas brass looking like guys trapped in the dark ages here IMHO

Some of their fans on Twitter really want Crean.....eh. I'd be shocked if they didn't go with a "Georgetown Guy"

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, Ewing would be in the Mullin to St Johns vein. And that's been shaky so far. Jury still out, but I think hiring a legend alum who has no head coaching experience is a desperate move
Ewing is highly thought of in the NBA coaching circle. Not sure if that would translate to the college game, but I think he's light years better than Mullin.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, Ewing would be in the Mullin to St Johns vein. And that's been shaky so far. Jury still out, but I think hiring a legend alum who has no head coaching experience is a desperate move
Did Mullin have any coaching experience prior to taking the St. John's job? Ewing has been an NBA assistant for the better part of a decade. And Iowa St did pretty well in hiring Fred Hoilberg who had front office experience but no coaching experience when they hired him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did Mullin have any coaching experience prior to taking the St. John's job? Ewing has been an NBA assistant for the better part of a decade. And Iowa St did pretty well in hiring Fred Hoilberg who had front office experience but no coaching experience when they hired him.
Mullin had no coaching experience & an assistant, Gary St. Jean, draws up plays in the huddle (Jeff Goodman always jokes about this). Mullin did spend time in the Warriors front office.

Ewing has been an NBA assistant for 15 years, I believe I saw, and was runner up for the Sacramento HC job last go around. His son was also an assistant on the recently removed Georgetown staff.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not that surprising once Alford turned it down.
I am assuming that Alford was really turning them down and not just posturing.
You could even extend that the potential this would happen is one of the reasons Archie turned down NCSU flat.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not that surprising once Alford turned it down.
I am assuming that Alford was really turning them down and not just posturing.
You could even extend that the potential this would happen is one of the reasons Archie turned down NCSU flat.
Agree that Archie probably always had his eyes on Indiana or Ohio State, so wasn't gonna look at NCSU.

I think Alford's comments could have been indicative that Indiana passed on him, not the other way around.

Now everyone is piling on...

I agree with Dauster's statement. Miller & Mack have been waiting for this & Ohio State to make their big move. One of them did it and the school is getting the right hire.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Agree that Archie probably always had his eyes on Indiana or Ohio State, so wasn't gonna look at NCSU.

I think Alford's comments could have been indicative that Indiana passed on him, not the other way around.

Now everyone is piling on...

I agree with Dauster's statement. Miller & Mack have been waiting for this & Ohio State to make their big move. One of them did it and the school is getting the right hire.

WOJ BOMB