Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So one of the things worth exploring in this thread is how does each of these Carousel possibilities potentially impact us. I'll take low hanging fruit and take a stab at Mark Fox.

First potential impact is pretty obvious, which is the 2017 class. If Hammonds comes on the market, does he have second thoughts about GT? Hightower would be a guard prospect similar to others we're still considering. Claxton might be a potential target, but doubt it.

Second potential impact is future recruiting, which is highly dependent upon McGarity making a good hire, which some UGA fans don't seem to think he cares enough to make because football is all that matters. Personally, I think it would take little effort to stumble in to a really good to possibly great coach for UGA. How hard is it to go snag Steve Forbes or Matt McCall? Maybe land Kevin Keatts if NC State passes on him? Those guys can recruit and have varying degrees of success in Georgia already.

Third potential impact is head to head against us. Will really depend on the coach, but there are some guys out there that are really great coaches and will give us trouble over the course of time. Forbes I think would be an awesome choice for them in this regard.

Anyway, those are just some ideas around one of the coaches on the list.

Meanwhile, a couple more articles kicking off the coaching carousel.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It would be in NC State’s best interest to go after Crean. They aren’t the coaching draw they think they are and to steal a good coach on the down would be a success. Similar situation to us. We thought we were a bigger draw than we actually were too. It may not work and I think we lucked out in part because CJP has a fire lit under him and embraces the competition of the ACC but I don’t think NC State can do better than Crean.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It would be in NC State’s best interest to go after Crean. They aren’t the coaching draw they think they are and to steal a good coach on the down would be a success. Similar situation to us. We thought we were a bigger draw than we actually were too. It may not work and I think we lucked out in part because CJP has a fire lit under him and embraces the competition of the ACC but I don’t think NC State can do better than Crean.

Yeah, NCSt is a delusional fanbase overall w.r.t. basketball IMHO. Want some unintentional comedy? Check out these Gary Parrish tweets

Man, that's harsh. :D

We weren't like this, were we? I think we were all pretty realistic.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

We weren't as bad though. Biggest difference is we were looking at guys like Crean and Matta who are in need of change where as NCST thinks they can lure guys like Cronin and Marshall away.

Also, GT is a better job than NCST. Better city. Bigger talent pool. Pro town.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, NCSt is a delusional fanbase overall w.r.t. basketball IMHO. Want some unintentional comedy? Check out these Gary Parrish tweets

NCSU hasn't been anything since Jim Valvano quit coaching them after the 1989-1990 season

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT's first call after firing Gregory was to Chris Mack (MBob had hired him at Xavier so that makes sense).

After that they locked in on Drew pretty quickly.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ooh, Howland to WAS would be big. Also, if I'm Drew, I run from Baylor considering the mess they're going through. Only problem is he'd have to find a place that'd allow him to continue to be as dirty as he (allegedly) is.

Frank Martin is an interesting name. There's a ceiling on how good SCar can be IMHO. He could be in play.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
He does a better job hiring basketball head coaches than hiring football head coaches. RamblinRed pointed that out to me I hadn't thought about that.
I'm not sure he ever hired a football head coach before or while he was at Tech. Although proof will require time, by all reports he scored a real coup by landing Brohm at Purdue.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Here's our thread from last March:
Ranking the ACC for Prospective Coaches

First page shows opinions of GT ranged from #4 to #11 in the ACC.

No one called NC St an elite landing spot for a coach, even prior to this year's mess.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like my comments from that thread. I think they still hold. Giving my self a pat on the back. :)

i think my little brother comment is still pretty close to the truth and played into what happened this past week.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I thought we were pretty realistic. We had ties to Mack. Then it was Bryce Drew. Weren't exactly shooting for the moon. Then we got lucky with JP (so far)