Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
One note I just read. Fultz will be the 6th 1st round draft pick since 2011 for Washington, Number of NCAA appearances during that time period - 0.

Another name to keep in mind as a possible coaching change- JTIII at Georgetown. Currently 14-12 this season, been a decade since the Sweet Sixteen.

I think JT3 gets another year since they are opening the gym that is named after his father this year. That might be awkward

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Thinking through some of the HM/MM+ coaches in trouble or potentially on the move (Bold = Hot Seat):

ACC
  1. Mark Gottfried
  2. Brad Brownell
  3. Jim Christian
SEC
  1. Johnny Jones
  2. Kim Anderson
  3. Mark Fox
  4. Andy Kennedy
B1G
  1. John Groce
  2. Tom Crean
  3. Pat Chambers
  4. Thad Matta
Big 12
  1. N/A
Pac12
  1. Lorenzo Romar
  2. Cuonzo Martin
  3. Steve Alford
Big East
  1. N/A
AAC
  1. Kevin Ollie
Movin' on up?
  1. Kevin Keatts
  2. Matt McCall
  3. Steve Forbes
  4. Will Wade
  5. Archie Miller
  6. Rick Stansbury
  7. Eric Musselman
I'll look to update this list (it's far from comprehensive yet) over the next couple of weeks, as well as putting some thought in to why a coach may be getting canned or making a move, along with any ancillary benefits created for GT (ie - recruits looking to get out of LOIs, turmoil at the competition, etc.).

In the meantime, the club is open, so come on in & get it poppin'.

I think Mark Gottfried and Mark Fox are dead men walking. I think UGAG could fire Athletic Director Greg McGarity as well.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see what Gott does. Won't surprise me if he ends up doing some broadcasting for a year or two. Think his deal is $2.3 per year for next three years as long as he doesn't get another head coaching gig. Not bad money to throw on top of whatever Raycom or ESPN will pay for a talking head. (If they pay Uncle Fester, they're willing to let any blithering idiot grab a mic) Plus, he's 53 and has washed out pretty badly at both Bama and State. I don't think he'll get another "marquee" job and he may prefer to relax, golf, womanize and be a talking head

Will be interesting to see who State goes after once Archie tells them no. I think they will likely get turned down by any "name" coaches but might have luck luring a younger guy like Wade or Keatts

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think JT3 gets another year since they are opening the gym that is named after his father this year. That might be awkward
This is exactly why I didn't include JTIII.

Meanwhile, this thread turned out to be timely with Gottfried's dismissal today. If NC State hires Kelvin Sampson though, somebody should have their head examined. Keatts seems like a great fit & gettable.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Keats is my bet who they end up with. With a really long contract.

One other thing to show how deeply entrenched JTIII is at Georgetown. He doesn't report to the AD - he reports to the president of the university.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
LMAO. Found this on the heel message board from state's last coaching search

WayneKenoff wrote: Can someone post the pic of the last coaching search?Credit to chawkheel for this creation!

Ps59eub.jpg

---------------------------------------------

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Keatts may not be well received in Raleigh as he was on Pitino's staff and was at least indirectly implicated in StripperGate

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a good topic to read and for a change enjoyable to consume because were are not being mentioned.

With these changes, starting with the one at NC State, do you know if there will be interest on our part to recruit some of these players who might want to look elsewhere due to coaching changes? Also regarding NC State's situation, one of their AD's first calls should be to her old friend from their days at Maryland together. It would not be good for us because he is a heck of a coach but I would love to see Gary Williams bring his fire back to the ACC and help to elevate the conference with his coaching intensity.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is this in the N&O this morning.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article133212004.html

Tom Crean is struggling at Indiana, but he has been pretty successful until this year. They have no seniors on that team and three recruits signed last fall. There is a lot of negative buzz about his future, but that buyout makes it tough right now. And much easier after next year. Crean is actually a good coach and should have a solid team next year.

If Miller says no this could be a difficult search. Keats and Wade could get a nice salary boost and both are likely to step up a notch in the very near future. I think NC State will not offer either of them until they give up on getting a "name" guy to take over for Gott.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Crean would be a good hire for NCST and it wouldn't shock me one bit. I think it is more likely than not that he moves on from IU to grab a new job (sort of the Trent Johnson method).

On the N&O article Holtzman would be a great hire. GT called him after the Drew deal feel through last year and couldn't shake him free from Butler.