Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think I might be taking the bait here, but it'll be something in between. From my own eyes, CGC is not inheriting a plethora of high quality (relative to our own P5 competition) athletes. This being said, he is a far better evaluator of talent than me, so we should trust him. At the same time, every teammate is going to hear what he said, so there's approximately 0% chance he's going to say "boy, these athletes suck, I'm applying for new jobs starting yesterday" even if it's true.

He wouldn't have been the first coach to do just that. Tom Crean at ugag basketball basically said he should have processed his whole team when he got hired. He apologized for keeping them. Cold as ice.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the kool aid drinkers and keeping things positive folks. Especially with CGC stating he doesn’t like to focus on negatives and keep thinking positive to achieve the best. I don’t think this makes much of a difference in play, but can make a difference in people wanting to come an play at GT. The relentless focus on this is about getting the best players to play at GT. Both staffs I feel are very good at coaching the players, where CPJ tried to differentiate is with his offense, I feel CGC is trying to do with recruiting and somewhat defense. There are some posters on here that are so focused on being able to say look I told you he wasn’t good, not sure why, but need to get over yourselves. So what if it is spin, as long as that tool is being used to improve the team.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think all the coaches have been impressed with the quality of the athletes they inherited. That's what they've said and I have no reason to not believe them.

Here I have to mention again the difference in how Paul recruited for the offensive side. I always thought the quality of the athletes he got was pretty good, if you were recruiting for a spread option. The number of the players he recruited that were offered by the academies and run-heavy programs seemed to indicate that he knew what he needed. But those players weren't highly rated by the recruiting services because so many of them didn't fit a shotgun spread offense as well. Yet we kept winning more then predicted by our rankings.

Oth, those same players pretty much all played in a shotgun - the real high school offense - in high school, most of them had excelled ("They all come highly recommended."), and none of them had forgotten everything. As I said in an earlier thread, I anticipate that we'll look like chickens with our heads cut off for the first few games, especially on D. But I also don't expect that to last - the coaches know what they are doing - or to be the fault of the talent of the athletes - we're ok at most positions, except DL. But transitions are tough on win/loss records. I don't know what to expect there. I do expect we'll be surprised at how well the team looks talent-wise and I expect good effort, unless the losses discourage the team. Effort usually pays off, but not always.

Animal02

Banned
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the kool aid drinkers and keeping things positive folks. Especially with CGC stating he doesn’t like to focus on negatives and keep thinking positive to achieve the best. I don’t think this makes much of a difference in play, but can make a difference in people wanting to come an play at GT. The relentless focus on this is about getting the best players to play at GT. Both staffs I feel are very good at coaching the players, where CPJ tried to differentiate is with his offense, I feel CGC is trying to do with recruiting and somewhat defense. There are some posters on here that are so focused on being able to say look I told you he wasn’t good, not sure why, but need to get over yourselves. So what if it is spin, as long as that tool is being used to improve the team.
Maybe the koolaid drinkers should have attempted to keep thing more positive the last 11 years. I have not seen anyone hope CGC fails like so many did with CPJ

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CGC has said how surprised he was at the quality of athlete he inherited. So what if has immediate success? Will that not show he inherited talent? Of course not, it’ll show he’s a miracle worker, right?
You have nailed the problem with this discussion. If we decide the narrative before the data is available then we will interpret the data to fit the narrative no matter what the data turns out to be.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for koolaid drinkers when a new staff comes in. I just don't think you have to construct a false narrative about the previous coach to build up a new coach who has yet to have a single game.

Once the season starts we will all be able to tell how good a job he is doing regardless of the record. I will not hold a losing record against him anymore than I held it against CPJ when players left the program before his first game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
it'll be **crickets chirping**, as usual.
This is not my fight, just a few friendly questions to help me in the future in other discussions.

If someone asks you to go back and find old comments what is the easiest way to do that, especially if you only have five minutes free before you leave the site?

Do you really think the idea of CGC competing with Clemson as well as eventually winning a national championship is a totally false memory of people's expectations? Do you not want these things for the new coach or is that you think no one should say it out loud?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If he has a middle of the road offense they've done a good job. If he has a middle of the road defense, then he absolutely is a miracle worker.
Going back and looking at old Tech games I saw many of the games in a new light. I was surprised at how much we tried to throw the ball with Tevin, especially in the season opener against VPI where he even ran from an empty backfield and a pistol. I was also surprised at how well Tech's D played in certain games. Consistency is the hobgoblin for Tech and always has been in my lifetime.

Keys to me will be getting a good DT, since they are scarce, and receivers who can separate.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
This is not my fight, just a few friendly questions to help me in the future in other discussions.

If someone asks you to go back and find old comments what is the easiest way to do that, especially if you only have five minutes free before you leave the site?

Do you really think the idea of CGC competing with Clemson as well as eventually winning a national championship is a totally false memory of people's expectations? Do you not want these things for the new coach or is that you think no one should say it out loud?

I personally want these things and believe that we can - and should - be more competitive with Clemson than we've been for most of the last decade. A natty would be nice too. Do I think it's possible? Yes - Clemson and the mutts will not be the juggernauts they've been every single year and the rest of the Coastal should scare no one. Is it likely to be an annual occurrence? Highly Doubtful. Multiple nattys and CFP appearances? Laughably no and I've never seen anyone advocate for that as a reality. Hell, even the mutts can't claim that - only Clemson and 'Bama can right now. I do think we can achieve a Stanford'ish type of excellence though, where we're occasionally part of the national conversation and relevance.

Mostly, just an end to the constant excuse-making, shoulder-shrugging "it is what it is" attitude of the previous regime. An end to being content with being passed by Duke and UVA in recruiting. An end to inking in annual blowouts to Clemson and the mutts. This appears to already be happening, given the recent recruiting successes and comments from many local HS coaches and players on the "change in atmosphere" and how GT "hasn't had much of a presence in the past 11 years until now". Flipping a 4-star RB was nice. Not sure why the previous regime didn't have enough money to have a better recruiting presence locally. I had enough money as an undergrad to commute daily to the GT campus. Could the previous regime not hop into a vehicle, drive around 285 and write off mileage?

Whatever - it's good to be moving in the direction we appear to be moving in and the negative Nancys will eventually accept that PJ retired on his own and we won't be running the ball 65 times/game anymore, nor will we be losing 4 of 5 to Duke.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why the previous regime didn't have enough money to have a better recruiting presence locally. I had enough money as an undergrad to commute daily to the GT campus. Could the previous regime not hop into a vehicle, drive around 285 and write off mileage?

Whatever - it's good to be moving in the direction we appear to be moving in and the negative Nancys will eventually accept that PJ retired on his own and we won't be running the ball 65 times/game anymore, nor will we be losing 4 of 5 to Duke.
That would be because a) Radcovich wouldn't spend the money to keep us level with the conference in recruiting resources and b) you and people like you didn't contribute to the program. The impression that Paul had "lost the fanbase" - obviously not true; read this thread - made sustaining momentum and catching up hard until Stansbury got on board and began to provide adequate funding for recruiting. That funding - partially provided by people like me, for instance - has given the program the extra cash and people needed to provide "presence" as well as get recruiting infrastructure to something like a competitive level. And the program still needs more, a lot more, to get to just a level playing field. Sent your cash in yet? I have.

Now, no doubt, your questions have been answered. Let's hope we can also maintain the 4 out of the last 5 wins against VT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That would be because a) Radcovich wouldn't spend the money to keep us level with the conference in recruiting resources and b) you and people like you didn't contribute to the program. The impression that Paul had "lost the fanbase" - obviously not true; read this thread - made sustaining momentum and catching up hard until Stansbury got on board and began to provide adequate funding for recruiting. That funding - partially provided by people like me, for instance - has given the program the extra cash and people needed to provide "presence" as well as get recruiting infrastructure to something like a competitive level. And the program still needs more, a lot more, to get to just a level playing field. Sent your cash in yet? I have.

Now, no doubt, your questions have been answered. Let's hope we can also maintain the 4 out of the last 5 wins against VT.
Yes. I think any of us half way paying atttention realize that we had been on an increasingly downward trajectory on not having enough money or staff for recruiting. CPJ fought like the dickens with the powers that be to start to turn that around. We see evidence that the Institute's purse strings are starting to loosen up.

Hope the days will eventually be gone when we couldn't heavily recruit in Texas or California because we didn't have the staff or travel money to do so.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I want an NC again in my lifetime, but I am starting to wonder if I'll see it. The reason, as I have always said, comes down to $$$$$.

Since 1985, 19 different schools have won or shared the 34 available NCs. Of those 19 schools, all but 2 are in the top 30 of NCAA spending on football. The 1991-co-champions BOTH are the two lowest spending schools, with GT getting the dubious honor of being the most frugal.

Spend.jpg

Of the top 25 spending schools, all but 10 have won NCs since 1985. Two, VT and uga, have played in the NC game during that stretch. The rest, (Arkansas, Mich ST, Wisconsin, Iowa, SC, Texas AM, Baylor, Ole Miss), are SEC/B1G schools flush with TV money, and Baylor, who tried to spend their way into relevance before the ethical and moral collapse of their program brought them to a screeching halt.

In fairness, since this list was compiled, GT has decided to invest more $$$ into their football program. But so has Clemson, as they just paid Dabo big bucks to stay, and uga, who are determined they can spend their way into a title. It's a safe bet these other schools are continuing to raise spending as well.

As I've said Ad Nauseum, if we don't commit to spending on our program, we are not going to continue to be competitive with the factories. So far, TStan seems to show an understanding of this concept, and he hired and paid for the best available coach to replace CPJ. He also opened the coffers for quality assistants.

All this to say, while I firmly believe the previous regime had great coaching "acumen" as pertains to the offensive scheme, I don't believe they ever had the resources to build the depth necessary for consistency.

I have no clue how the new regime will do here, but they are slowly being given the resources it takes to build a program capable of competing with consistency. If we stay hungry and continue to give, I think we might truly be witnessing the birth of a new era in GT football. But we have to understand that we aren't "there" yet, and it's going to take a while to build, hence the 7 year contract.

I am excited about the future of GT football, and I'm proud of the accomplishments of CPJ. There could have been no better caretaker than CPJ for The Institute for the last decade, and I am confident we have the right coach to chart a new course with.

Go Jackets! THWg!!!

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

No, as is clear from the record attendance in the spring game and the declining attendance the past few years, he had absolutely "lost the fanbase" - at least a decent % of it. I was at the embarrassing UVA game last fall that was barely half-attended - were you?

And again, how much money did PJ need to hop into his car and recruit metro ATL, something that numerous area HS coaches agree wasn't happening? It's another repeated, incorrect excuse for lazy recruiting. No argument about no-money-for-national-recruiting but to ignore the local schools is just lazy.

I've dropped over 50K on Georgia Tech in my lifetime. Your finger pointing is as hilarious as it is ignorant. More excuse making.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I want an NC again in my lifetime, but I am starting to wonder if I'll see it. The reason, as I have always said, comes down to $$$$$.

Since 1985, 19 different schools have won or shared the 34 available NCs. Of those 19 schools, all but 2 are in the top 30 of NCAA spending on football. The 1991-co-champions BOTH are the two lowest spending schools, with GT getting the dubious honor of being the most frugal.

View attachment 5838

Of the top 25 spending schools, all but 10 have won NCs since 1985. Two, VT and uga, have played in the NC game during that stretch. The rest, (Arkansas, Mich ST, Wisconsin, Iowa, SC, Texas AM, Baylor, Ole Miss), are SEC/B1G schools flush with TV money, and Baylor, who tried to spend their way into relevance before the ethical and moral collapse of their program brought them to a screeching halt.

In fairness, since this list was compiled, GT has decided to invest more $$$ into their football program. But so has Clemson, as they just paid Dabo big bucks to stay, and uga, who are determined they can spend their way into a title. It's a safe bet these other schools are continuing to raise spending as well.

As I've said Ad Nauseum, if we don't commit to spending on our program, we are not going to continue to be competitive with the factories. So far, TStan seems to show an understanding of this concept, and he hired and paid for the best available coach to replace CPJ. He also opened the coffers for quality assistants.

All this to say, while I firmly believe the previous regime had great coaching "acumen" as pertains to the offensive scheme, I don't believe they ever had the resources to build the depth necessary for consistency.

I have no clue how the new regime will do here, but they are slowly being given the resources it takes to build a program capable of competing with consistency. If we stay hungry and continue to give, I think we might truly be witnessing the birth of a new era in GT football. But we have to understand that we aren't "there" yet, and it's going to take a while to build, hence the 7 year contract.

I am excited about the future of GT football, and I'm proud of the accomplishments of CPJ. There could have been no better caretaker than CPJ for The Institute for the last decade, and I am confident we have the right coach to chart a new course with.

Go Jackets! THWg!!!
Well said.

Animal02

Banned
Yes. I think any of us half way paying atttention realize that we had been on an increasingly downward trajectory on not having enough money or staff for recruiting. CPJ fought like the dickens with the powers that be to start to turn that around. We see evidence that the Institute's purse strings are starting to loosen up.

Hope the days will eventually be gone when we couldn't heavily recruit in Texas or California because we didn't have the staff or travel money to do so.
There are those that paid attention....then there are those that buried their heads in the sand......and then the few that have it buried in an even darker place.