Coaches on the Hot Seat

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whenever the new coach comes in, he will have to deal with the current roster for the most part. We will have Jacobs next year, so the loss of Mitchell and Cox will not be devastating. That said we need someone who can take advantage of the rich crop of 2016 recruits. I am not sure that is something MBob should have at the top of his list of attributes, but it will have an impact on how quickly things get turned around. I wonder which of these guys would be most able to do that?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I forget who, but credit to whoever mentioned Prohm. I may have put him on my list, but someone else mentioned him first and I can't remember. He's got an impressive track record though.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Some of the coaches we've listed here can be found on lists of the best coaches in college basketball

Athlon
15. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
Record at Wichita State:
174-71 (.710)
NCAA Tournament: 6-10, one Final Four
Number to note: Marshall’s last four teams at Wichita have ranked in the top 40 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency on KenPom.com.
Why he’s ranked here: Since March 1, 2013, three teams have defeated Marshall’s Wichita State teams — one won a national title (Louisville), one reached the title game (Kentucky) and one had Doug McDemott (Creighton, twice).

19. Jay Wright, Villanova
Record at Villanova:
286-149 (.657)
NCAA Tournament: 13-11, one Final Four
Number to note: Villanova’s Big East title in 2014 was the Wildcats’ first outright conference title since 1982. Nova hasn’t won a conference tournament since 1995.
Why he’s ranked here: After a brief dip in 2011-12, Villanova has returned to where Wright has had the program for most of his tenure. Villanova went 16-0 vs. Big East opponents not named Creighton during the 2013-14 regular season.

21. Tim Miles, Nebraska
Record at Nebraska:
34-31 (.525)
NCAA Tournament: 0-2
Number to note:
Miles ended combined NCAA Tournament droughts of 25 seasons at Nebraska (16) and Colorado State (nine) in addition to laying the groundwork for Division I newcomer North Dakota State.
Why he’s ranked here: The Big Ten is as good as ever, and Nebraska is a relevant program here. The next step is to pick up the Cornhuskers first NCAA Tournament win.

23. Lon Kruger, Oklahoma

Record at Oklahoma:
58-38 (.604)
NCAA Tournament: 14-15, one Final Four
Number to note: Oklahoma ranked 17th in tempo last season. Kruger didn’t have a top-100 team in that category since 2005.
Why he’s ranked here: Got a problem? Lon Kruger will solve it. He’s led clean-up jobs at Florida, UNLV, Kansas State and now Oklahoma and taken all of them (plus Illinois) to multiple NCAA Tournaments.

39. Tom Crean, Indiana
Record at Indiana:
101-97 (.510)
NCAA Tournament: 8-7, one Final Four
Number to note: Indiana won one road game in Crean’s first three seasons. The Hoosiers have won 14 in three seasons since.
Why he’s ranked here: Indiana’s collapse from spending most of 2012-13 at No. 1 to missing/declining the postseason altogether is a major concern. The same can be said of the alarming rate of off-court issues. Still, Crean brought Indiana back from 6-25 in his first season.

43. Archie Miller, Dayton
Record at Dayton:
63-38 (.624)
NCAA Tournament: 3-1
Number to note: Dayton improved its road record from 5-16 in Miller’s first two seasons to 7-4 last season.
Why he’s ranked here: Sean’s younger brother has made himself a hot coaching candidate in his own right wins over Ohio State and Syracuse on the way to the Elite Eight last season.

47. Tommy Amaker, Harvard
Record at Harvard:
139-71 (.662)
NCAA Tournament: 4-4
Number to note: With wins over New Mexico and Cincinnati the last two seasons, Harvard is the first Ivy team since the field expanded to 64 to win games in back-to-back NCAA Tournaments.
Why he’s ranked here: After a mediocre tenure at Michigan, Amaker has found a home at Harvard, where he’s won four consecutive league titles.

------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN
8. Gregg Marhsall, Wichita State

19. Jay Wright, Villanova

22. Tommy Amaker, Harvard

26. Archie Miller, Dayton
There's nothing like an Elite Eight run to boost your stock, huh? The panel may be falling for a little bit of recency bias here, but there's no question Miller belongs on the list. In 2013-14, he took a team that started conference play 1-5 and turned it into one that would upend Ohio State, Syracuse and Stanford -- and galvanize a joyous, resolute Flyers fan base -- in the year's most memorable tournament run.

31. Lon Kruger, Oklahoma
The uncreative love to bust out the "Death. Taxes. Bo Ryan." catchphrase anytime Wisconsin wins a game, but what about Kruger? Kruger's teams are always solid no matter where he is, and his Oklahoma tenure -- which began in the wake of some pretty serious Jeff Capel-era recruiting violations -- has seen Kruger steadily lead the Sooners further and further up the solidity ladder. Dude is a great coach.

32. Tim Miles, Nebraska
A couple of years ago, Tim Miles was the funny coach with the funny Twitter feed, the guy most likely to be sitting alone at Big Ten media day while simultaneously making fun of himself for sitting alone at Big Ten media day. (Five years ago, at Big 12 media day, that coach was Fred Hoiberg. My how things change.) Now, after taking the Cornhuskers to their first NCAA tournament since 1998 in just his second season, Miles is a bona fide rising star in the profession. He's turning Nebraska into a real program, and he has the long-run backing of the athletics department, and the elite facilities, to finish the job.

43. Chris Mack, Xavier
Mack has been steady at Xavier, missing the tournament just once in his four years. He did an especially nice job with a young team in 2013-14, but will have to replace NBA-bound sophomore guard Semaj Christon.

50. Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's
Bennett, meanwhile, has elevated Saint Mary's to consistent tournament contention alongside rival Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference, even if 2013's recruiting violations and the subsequent four-year probation cast a shadow over that success.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Whenever the new coach comes in, he will have to deal with the current roster for the most part. We will have Jacobs next year, so the loss of Mitchell and Cox will not be devastating. That said we need someone who can take advantage of the rich crop of 2016 recruits. I am not sure that is something MBob should have at the top of his list of attributes, but it will have an impact on how quickly things get turned around. I wonder which of these guys would be most able to do that?
I am showing we lose Cox and Sampson, Mitchell with one more year.
As of today next years team is the same as this years less Cox and Sampson and plus the addition of Jacobs and the recruit Ogbomda.

You know, if Jackson played like the state's number 1 senior we probably would not be having this conservation. So we are back to player development.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am showing we lose Cox and Sampson, Mitchell with one more year.
As of today next years team is the same as this years less Cox and Sampson and plus the addition of Jacobs and the recruit Ogbomda.

You know, if Jackson played like the state's number 1 senior we probably would not be having this conservation. So we are back to player development.
You are correct. I had Mitchell and Sampson reversed on my notes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Next up the 6 yr guys. These 3 are all in their 6th season of coaching.

Shaka Smart - VCU, 155-52, 4 NCAA Tourneys, 1 Final Four, 1 CBI Championship. 37 yrs old.
Shaka is a big name who can pretty much have any job he wants. He turned down a $2.8M/yr offer from Wake last year. Obviously plays upstyle with his HAVOC defense. Was an asst at Clemson. Can wait for whatever job he wants. He's one of the coaches that most AD's are going to send out feelings to guage interest before moving on.
interestingly, he has never finished 1st in the regular season.
My only concern with Shaka and why I don't have him as high on my list as a couple of other big name coaches - Pressure defenses have not been entirely successful in the ACC and Shaka has been very forthright that that is his game. I once asked a coach the biggest lesson he learned after coming to the ACC and his response was that you can't press nearly as much - there are too many good guards and good coaches that can counteract it. If he's interested though you definately pursue. He would kill it in recruiting in Atlanta

Josh Pastner - Memphis, 145-56, 4 NCAA's, 2 1st place in conference (CUSA). 37 yrs old
Josh is not one I had on my list because i'm interested, more because he may be ready to move on (could he be this year's Buzz Williams). Josh was an asst to Lute Olsen at AZ and then an asst to Calipari before he left for KY. Great recruiter. At times he has had some really good assts on staff. He's not one that is going to change jobs for money as Memphis is paying him $2.6M/yr and can easily match any money offer. He is sortof Hewitt 2.0 - he will recruit great talent (if he was at GT, GT would land basically every big name GA talent that could get in that he wanted). Not a great game coach. I don't think his floor is as low as Hewitt though as he seems more willing to hire Assts that help. He has a poor record in the Tourney and against Top 25 teams. Plays a fast, relatively undisciplined style of basketball. Teams have been very good defensively (904. ppp allowed - 4 yr avg). I'm not necessarily going to go after him, but playing fantasy GT AD, if his agent was to call to express interest, i'm definately talking to him.

Chris Mack - Xavier, 120-63, 45 yrs old, 4 NCAA Tourneys (2 Sweet Sixteens), 2 1st place conferece finishes (A-10)
Mack is an intriguing choice. A very solid basketball coach. He has ACC experience as an asst to Prosser at Wake (his name was mentioned in their search last year). Team this year is sort of up and down - very bubbly. Teams have been solid on both offense (1.09 ppp - 4 yr avg) and defense (.969 ppp allowed) and they play a moderate tempo (65.8 possessions). Bobinski hired him at Xavier. Big question is whether he would leave his alma mater. He's been mentioned in enough jobs that I suspect that he would depart for the right job - would GT be that. IMO at least a solid double hire. Would likely have to put a $2M/yr offer to get him. He's in my top 5.

Didn't notice until now that all 3 had made the NCAA in 4 of 5 opportunities. And all 3 have at least 1 advancement to a Sweet Sixteen.
My personal take on these three. Shaka is an aspirational choice that you have to make the phone call to see if he has interest. Pastner is one i'm not really chasing, but if he is interested in GT then i'm talking to him. Mack is one that should be on your A group of candidates. (How I look at coaching hires is that you have 1 aspirational type you want to potentially chase a little and if it doesn't happen have an A group of 3-5 coaches that you feel would be successful and attainable).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This isn't really the topic if this thread but in response to another post in it.
I think next year's team will be better than this one regardless of the coach- but the right coach has an NCAA team.
I think PG will be fine. Jorgy is looking better as the season goes on - more healthy and getting more aggressive. The team looks better when he pushes the ball. He already has more assists with fewer TO than Golden did all last ACC.

Jacobs was the best offensive post we brought in last year. He has good hands and a number of moves around the basket. He should be able to provide a little relief for MGH of having to shoulder everything on offense. I hardly think it is a great team. But there are pieces, enough that a good coach can make a Tourney team out of them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This isn't really the topic if this thread but in response to another post in it.
I think next year's team will be better than this one regardless of the coach- but the right coach has an NCAA team.
I think PG will be fine. Jorgy is looking better as the season goes on - more healthy and getting more aggressive. The team looks better when he pushes the ball. He already has more assists with fewer TO than Golden did all last ACC.

Jacobs was the best offensive post we brought in last year. He has good hands and a number of moves around the basket. He should be able to provide a little relief for MGH of having to shoulder everything on offense. I hardly think it is a great team. But there are pieces, enough that a good coach can make a Tourney team out of them.
And, Jalen Brown is still lurking out there, waiting to see what happens with post-Final Four coaching moves. We are still on his list and I think the right coach could lure him to Tech. Then there are all those empty slots the following year. The timing to hire a name coach is perfect. If the will is there, ...

As for fans returning to McCamish. They will come if they feel the excitement building and an expectation of winning that is based on reality.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not a chance we get Jaylen Brown IMO.
Odds are, you are right. But, the schools on his list, if my memory is correct, are UK, UCLA, UNC, Michigan, Kansas, uga, and GT. Of those seven teams, six are a lock to have their coaches back next season. Most of their recruiting class is already known. Only one is likely to undergo changes that might make them more attractive than they already are. BG being gone makes the Tech situation intriguing only if the new coach is someone with a known profile for developing top players. I hope you are wrong.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Odds are, you are right. But, the schools on his list, if my memory is correct, are UK, UCLA, UNC, Michigan, Kansas, uga, and GT. Of those seven teams, six are a lock to have their coaches back next season. Most of their recruiting class is already known. Only one is likely to undergo changes that might make them more attractive than they already are. BG being gone makes the Tech situation intriguing only if the new coach is someone with a known profile for developing top players. I hope you are wrong.
If I remember correctly the ONLY reason GT is being considered is because of CBG having such a long relationship with JB. So... I'm of the opinion that if CBG goes, so goes our chances at landing JB. Which, if you ask me... addition by subtraction is the right move. Regardless of whether it kills our chances with JB. Not worth the risk of keeping CBG around, just to keep that 10% chance alive.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If we get Jaylen, I going to buy a handful of lottery tickets figuring it's my lucky day!

To be honest, it is not that I don't like Jaylen as a player, but I have watched him enough to believe he is going to need the right coach to be able to get the most out of him for only one year in college. Kid needs some focus and fundamentals. I could see him being a distraction as much as a savior for the wrong coach. Given the success CBG has had with raw talent, I might tell Brown to look to Calipari if I am his mother. Just being honest.

Pastner would be a coach that could have Brown doing some last minute evaluating, though I don't think he would be at the top of my list. Some of you guys have me personally interested in White or Prohm.

Gibson

Georgia Tech Fan
To be honest, it is not that I don't like Jaylen as a player, but I have watched him enough to believe he is going to need the right coach to be able to get the most out of him for only one year in college. Kid needs some focus and fundamentals. I could see him being a distraction as much as a savior for the wrong coach. Given the success CBG has had with raw talent, I might tell Brown to look to Calipari if I am his mother. Just being honest.

Pastner would be a coach that could have Brown doing some last minute evaluating, though I don't think he would be at the top of my list. Some of you guys have me personally interested in White or Prohm.
We can't re-build our program with a new coach around 1 recruit who's likely only here a year before going to NBA. It's what happened with Hewitt and Favors...

If we miss on Jalen, then it wasn't meant to be. He's a great talent, yes, but if we get a strong coach in here who turns things around and miss on Jalen, then it'll be an after thought...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want Jaylen Brown as much as the next fan. I think he's going to be a great player and I'd love to see us put our next NBA star in to the league. That said, we can't take him at the cost of the program, if it keeps our overall coaching level down. Hindsight being 20/20, I realized later on, we should've just fired Hewitt after underachieving with Favors.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Next 3.
Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa, 190-103, 44 yrs old, 10th yr as HC, NCAA tourney's, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 - 1st place regular season, 1 NIT, 2 CBI
Ben is in his 10th year at Northern Iowa and will be headed to his third NCAA Tourney this year. Currently in 1st place with Wichita State.
He's built a very strong program at Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley Conference. His teams are good offensively (1.07 ppp - 4 yr avg), good defensively (.97 ppp allowed) and play slow 63.3 possessions per game. His teams have finished in the top third of the MVC 7 out of 10 years. Very well respected coach whose biggest moment was beating Kansas to get to the Sweet Sixteen. The big negative with Ben would be having no SE exposure at all. He is in my Top 5.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State, 391-157, 51 years old, 17 yr as HC, 10 NCAA tourneys, 1 Final Four, 1 NIT Championship.
Made 10 NCAA Tourneys from a low major and a mid major. Has finished 1st or 2nd in his conference 13 out of his 16 years as a HC. His teams play more fundamentally sound than any program I have ever seen. There are incredibly efficient on offense (1.13 ppp - 4 yr avg) and stingy on defense (.93 ppp allowed) - both of those are the best marks of any coach I have on my list. He plays a pace similar to what we see from Gregory - 64.8 possessions per game. He is a Rock Hill, SC native. IMO he is one you have to reach out to his agent to see if he is interested. I would be very surprised if he said yes, but you make the call (last year when his name came up for Wake his public response was along the lines why would I leave for a worse job than I have now). He does have a reputation of being an a**. Any decision by him to take a job will not be a money based decision (though he will have to pay big time to even have a chance), it will be whether he sees the opportunity to win quickly and consistently.

Tommy Amaker, Harvard, 325-213, 49 yrs old, 18 yrs as HC, 4 NCAA Tourneys, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 7 NIT (1 Championship, 1 runner up), 1 CBI
Tommy is on this list because I think his name will come up, not because I am overly interested. Personally I think the only ACC job he will take is Duke.
Amaker is sort of an interesting case. He has had tremendous success at Harvard. But in 10 yrs at Seton Hall and Michigan he made 1 NCAA Tourney, and finished in the bottom half of the leagues 7 times. At Harvard his teams have been solid on offense (1.05 ppp - 4 yr avg) and good defensively (.952 ppp allowed) and play slow 63.5 posessions per game (only Northern iowa is slower on my list). I worry about Tommy as his previous power conference stops have not been overly successful (he did have to rebuild Michigan but got 6 yrs to do it), and I wonder if alot of his success at Harvard is due to the fact that he significantly out recruits most of his conference (he gets borderline Top 100 guys at Harvard - no one else in the Ivy is doing that).
His wife is on the faculty at Harvard Medical so anybody that wants to hire him will have to find a similar place for his wife. Rumors are he expressed no interest in GT in 2011 and can't see that being different now.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are some brief facts about the coaches on Red's list:

Shaka Smart: Contract = $1.5M. He turned down a raise last year & asked that the money be spent on VCU basketball program.
Josh Pastner: Contract = $2.65M thru 2020.

Are these contract numbers correct?

The fact that Josh Pastner makes $2.65M per year is unbelievable, but the fact that he makes over $1M more than Shaka is blasphemy.