Coach Prime to Colorado

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Let me get this straight...

Colorado is playing #8 USC at home. Fox schedules the game for Noon eastern time which means this game is being played at 10:00am local time in Colorado. It's 21-0 on the first play of the second quarter.

Sorry, but what could possibly justify MORE national TV exposure for a team that got BLOWN OUT last week, is getting blown out today, and is going to be hard-pressed to get five wins this season? What justifies moving this game to Saturday morning instead of much later this evening (if it was televised at all)?

The commentators are being forced to focus on how good USC is..."a well-oiled machine on both sides of the ball"...and that may be true. But isn't it more likely that Colorado is just not that good and completely undeserving of all the hype? They seem to be going out of their way to avoid saying the obvious regarding Colorado.

I mean, isn't Tech projected to win 5-6 games this season? Aren't we undertaking a rebuild under a new Head Coach? Where's our National TV coverage?

Yeah, I know what's going on...I just think it's a joke.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me get this straight...

Colorado is playing #8 USC at home. Fox schedules the game for Noon eastern time which means this game is being played at 10:00am local time in Colorado. It's 21-0 on the first play of the second quarter.

Sorry, but what could possibly justify MORE national TV exposure for a team that got BLOWN OUT last week, is getting blown out today, and is going to be hard-pressed to get five wins this season? What justifies moving this game to Saturday morning instead of much later this evening (if it was televised at all)?

The commentators are being forced to focus on how good USC is..."a well-oiled machine on both sides of the ball"...and that may be true. But isn't it more likely that Colorado is just not that good and completely undeserving of all the hype? They seem to be going out of their way to avoid saying the obvious regarding Colorado.

I mean, isn't Tech projected to win 5-6 games this season? Aren't we undertaking a rebuild under a new Head Coach? Where's our National TV coverage?

Yeah, I know what's going on...I just think it's a joke.
Looks like Fox knew what they were doing. By the time the entire country was awake it was a close exciting game.

There’s another game I watched today that I cannot, unfortunately, say the same about.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Fox knew what they were doing. By the time the entire country was awake it was a close exciting game.

There’s another game I watched today that I cannot, unfortunately, say the same about.
Hard to argue with this. And I fully expect the Buffs will hang some really crazy numbers on somebody at some point.

But if Colorado continues to lose, will the storyline lose some of its appeal?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to argue with this. And I fully expect the Buffs will hang some really crazy numbers on somebody at some point.

But if Colorado continues to lose, will the storyline lose some of its appeal?
I think the extreme hype has played itself out this year. It probably played itself out last week itself. Colorado dropped out of the top 25 after being beat by one of the best teams in the country, which there are many other top 20 teams who might have still remained even with a similar beat down.

But if Colorado makes it to a bowl game, I think this season has more than achieved the goal CU had for the year, which is for Sanders to show that he can coach a team to compete with the best of the CFB lot (making the USC game close was huge for Colorado…2 blowouts in a row might have been devastating).

A decent rest of the year and Colorado will be an absolute threat in the offseason in recruiting and the trade portal.

JacketFan137

Banned
Fans. Tv , media and millions of dollars to improve our athletic budget.
i got banned from that other thread talking about deion cause we have a silly individual that refuses to admit colorado has a good thing going. so i will ask in here, why exactly did people not want deion? i think colorado is far better coached than us and they are gonna have absurd momentum into next season. we just had the worst loss in recent program history. deion should have been pursued with full force

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
i got banned from that other thread talking about deion cause we have a silly individual that refuses to admit colorado has a good thing going. so i will ask in here, why exactly did people not want deion? i think colorado is far better coached than us and they are gonna have absurd momentum into next season. we just had the worst loss in recent program history. deion should have been pursued with full force
You know that Deion’s style wouldn’t be accepted here.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You can find my posts from the coaching search and you'll see I had 1 coach on my list. Everyone else was a bust.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there are legitimate reasons people did not want Deion Sanders.

1. There’s a long history of coaches that are good talkers but not good coaches. Many thought Deion was one of those. Of course, nothing in either his coaching, professional, or college history indicated any of that. Somebody who has spent his life as a god fearing teetotaler who has excelled in every thing he has participated in including 2 professional sports! and nearly everyone who worked with him only has good things to say about his work ethics, etc. is the definition of someone whose actions speak very very loud. The difference is that Deion was smart enough to realize through his life (unlike many engineers graduating out of Tech, including myself) that no one else will speak up for you. You gotta speak up for yourself. So he combined his actions with words. Something many people here are simply not used to.

2. Deion’s approach reminded them too much of Geoff Collins and there was an understandable desire to get someone as different from Collins as possible.

3. A belief ( this is why I’m in the camp of being ok with Deion not being hired by tech even if I wish we could find a way), that the Hill simply wouldn’t give him the leeway and tools he needs to succeed (it’s not true that they CANNOT do it…they have done it before…the question is whether they’re willing to make those tools available at a large enough scale). This is also a reason why Deion himself might not have wanted to come to Tech.

There is also one very obvious illegitimate reason some (many?) Tech decision makers/influencers did not want to hire him, but I won’t state it because I want to continue posting here.

One reason which people claim, which is absolutely not true is that we couldn’t afford him. Colorado js paying Deion about $6mm over 5 years and we are paying $3mm over 5 years, for a difference of about $15mm over 5 years.

Colorado’s 2022 ticket sales were around $12mm. Tech’s 2023 ticket sales were around $12mm.

Colorado which has sold out all tickets for this season has made approximately $32mm in ticket sales this season. I don’t know how much Tech is making this year, but as long as it’s less than a 40% increase over last year, the additional revenue through only ticket sales in Sanders’s first year at Colorado would have paid off the entire difference in Key’s and Sanders’s salaries over 5 years.

And we haven’t even gotten to the media money, mentions, additional ad revenues (CU is estimating they are making over 40% more in sponsorship money), Jersey sales, etc.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Why?

Well, IMO, Deion is just using Colorado as a platform to promote his own brand, to get himself to a bigger coaching position, and to get his son(s) to the NFL - not necessarily in that order. In three years (or less) he will move on.

In the short run, this is a win for the Buffs because they a) they sucked and had nothing to lose and b) they have nothing else to be especially proud of (It's a state school ranking #105 nationally. Since there are only 50 states, let that sink in.). Tech, of course, has both a stellar history of athletic excellence and a reputation for academic excellence, as well. We suck, too, but I'm not willing to sell out just to win a football game. And as long as I'm at it, let me ask how many of the kids he brought into Colorado this season would be academically ineligible after one quarter at Tech?

If winning at all costs is your thing, sure, Sanders would have been a great choice. If the integrity of the institute is important to you, then not so much.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Colorado’s 2022 ticket sales were around $12mm. Tech’s 2023 ticket sales were around $12mm.

Colorado which has sold out all tickets for this season has made approximately $32mm in ticket sales this season. I don’t know how much Tech is making this year, but as long as it’s less than a 40% increase over last year, the additional revenue through only ticket sales in Sanders’s first year at Colorado would have paid off the entire difference in Key’s and Sanders’s salaries over 5 years.

And we haven’t even gotten to the media money, mentions, additional ad revenues (CU is estimating they are making over 40% more in sponsorship money), Jersey sales, etc.
How many Colorado alumni live within reasonable driving distance of Folsom Field? How does that compare to the proximity of Tech's alumni to Bobby Dodd?

Of course Colorado is going to sell more tickets...they aren't located in a city over-run by a repeat national champion rival.

At the end of the day, if the goal is to field the best team that money can buy, that's a goal we cannot hope to achieve. We don't have that much money.

We can only field the best team that OUR money can buy.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, IMO, Deion is … using Colorado as a platform to promote his own brand,
True. But at the same time Colorado is using Deion to promote their brand. And the estimates are that they’ve already gotten about $250mm worth of return from the $6mm they’re paying Deion this year in brand value improvement.

get himself to a bigger coaching position
Both Colorado and Tech will face the exact same threat with any coach who is successful. Heck, Tech lost a championship winning coach Bobby Ross and probably the best coach we have had since Heisman, O’Leary to “bigger coaching position”s at times when we were much stronger as a program. The only way losing a coach to a bigger position is not a threat for any coach at Tech is if they perform awfully.

In three years (or less) he will move on.
This might happen if he is tremendously successful. But it would happen likely to any coach if they were tremendously successful. Meanwhile Deion is bringing a ton of publicity and money that will place Colorado in a much better position even if he leaves, something which wouldn’t be close to as true with another coach.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
How many Colorado alumni live within reasonable driving distance of Folsom Field? How does that compare to the proximity of Tech's alumni to Bobby Dodd?

Of course Colorado is going to sell more tickets...they aren't located in a city over-run by a repeat national champion rival.

At the end of the day, if the goal is to field the best team that money can buy, that's a goal we cannot hope to achieve. We don't have that much money.

We can only field the best team that OUR money can buy.
Deion Sanders in Atlanta would fill Bobby Dodd’s 55k seats with 0 Tech alumni.

Until yesterday Colorado had 4 games in the top 10 most watched games nationally. After yesterday it will likely be 5 of the top 10 most watched games. Colorado vs CSU, a game against an FCS team, was until yesterday the 3most watched game this season (and will probably remain that way) beat out only by Colorado - Oregon which itself was beat out only just barely by Ohio State - Notre Dame. This isn’t because only Colorado fans have decided to tune in.

Colorado’s success in selling tickets has little to do with alumni interest and much more to do with non CU affiliated fan interest.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Keep telling yourself that. It's just flat out not true. Man's worth about 15-20k STH's and we damn sure wouldn't have lost to BG yesterday. Kids that don't want to play with energy would have been kicked off the team in the spring.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Keep telling yourself that. It's just flat out not true. Man's worth about 15-20k STH's and we damn sure wouldn't have lost to BG yesterday. Kids that don't want to play with energy would have been kicked off the team in the spring.
5 out of the top 10 nationally watched games say otherwise. Celebrities flying in from LA with no CU connections to watch says otherwise.

And we’re talking about Deion Sanders in Atlanta. Man is beloved in the city and played not just for the Falcons but also the Braves.

Deion Sanders would have sold 55k tickets in Atlanta without a single Tech alum attending.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
5 out of the top 10 nationally watched games say otherwise. Celebrities flying in from LA with no CU connections to watch says otherwise.

And we’re talking about Deion Sanders in Atlanta. Man is beloved in the city and played not just for the Falcons but also the Braves.

Deion Sanders would have sold 55k tickets in Atlanta without a single Tech alum attending.
And when he moves on in three years to his next whistle stop?

slugboy

Staff member

Colorado’s success in selling tickets has little to do with alumni interest and much more to do with non CU affiliated fan interest.

I’d agree. I know students there, and alumni.

Colorado does have to compete with the Broncos (and Colorado is Denver Bronco country), but Sanders would have raised the interest in the team. And, he might have one loss so far if he was coaching here—but not three and not yesterday’s loss.