Coach Prime to Colorado

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
And when he moves on in three years to his next whistle stop?

If he moves on in 3 years it would have been because he was successful and renewed interest in a moribund Colorado program, brought in many more season holders, showed them success at the highest level is possible at Colorado, and would make Colorado a much more attractive program to fans, recruits, and potential head coaches.

Colorado would be immeasurably better off if Sanders moved on from Colorado because of the success he is bringing them. It would also make it much easier for them to hire the best non-Sanders HC available after those 3 years than it would have been for them last year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Deion Sanders would have sold 55k tickets in Atlanta without a single Tech alum attending.
I get it, all current 20k STH’s would have quit coming in a fit of outrage because our stadium would be filled with all those loud obnoxious unwashed neanderthals and not the current throngs of well behaved and culturally refined GT STH’s we so dearly love that mostly sit at home, their tickets unused.

Certainly would not want an entertaining gameday atmosphere on The Flats. Much better watching disinterested players and a powerless coaching staff going thru the motions while we get shellacked by Bowling Green.

slugboy

Staff member
I get it, all current 20k STH’s would have quit coming in a fit of outrage because our stadium would be filled with all those loud obnoxious unwashed neanderthals and not the current throngs of well behaved and culturally refined GT STH’s we so dearly love that mostly sit at home, their tickets unused.

Certainly would not want an entertaining gameday atmosphere on The Flats. Much better watching disinterested players and a powerless coaching staff going thru the motions while we get shellacked by Bowling Green.
I don’t think he’s saying the Alumni would stay home. I think he’s saying that Deion Sanders would have 55k sign up IN ADDITION TO the alumni and the existing fan base.

Anyway, we have Key. He is our coach. And he has to deal with where we are now.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow

I think you’re misunderstanding me.

I was responding to someone who was saying the only reason Sanders has brought $20mm in additional ticket sales for Colorado’s AA this season is because unlike Tech, Colorado has a lot of Alumni who live nearby and that Tech would see no such bonus.

My point was that the Sanders draw in Atlanta would be strong enough that he could sell out the entire stadium even if there were no alumni buying tickets.

Obviously season holders would buy a lot of tickets. In fact, Tech would probably sell even more season tickets to alumni and non alumni. The only point was that a relative shortage of alumni living near the stadium would be no reason that Tech would not also see a ticket sales bonanza the kind Colorado is seeing.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think he’s saying the Alumni would stay home. I think he’s saying that Deion Sanders would have 55k sign up IN ADDITION TO the alumni and the existing fan base.

Anyway, we have Key. He is our coach. And he has to deal with where we are now.
Yup. And notwithstanding our last game, I think he can still do well at Tech. He really needs to get rid of Thacker, and there’s a question about why he didn’t do so in the first place.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it may have been a smart move.

Retaining Thacker gives him some time to rebuild a team that clearly is in dire need of rebuilding.

He can fire Thacker at the end of the season (or even in the middle if things get really bad) and earn himself some more breathing room.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re misunderstanding me.

I was responding to someone who was saying the only reason Sanders has brought $20mm in additional ticket sales for Colorado’s AA this season is because unlike Tech, Colorado has a lot of Alumni who live nearby and that Tech would see no such bonus.

My point was that the Sanders draw in Atlanta would be strong enough that he could sell out the entire stadium even if there were no alumni buying tickets.

Obviously season holders would buy a lot of tickets. In fact, Tech would probably sell even more season tickets to alumni and non alumni. The only point was that a relative shortage of alumni living near the stadium would be no reason that Tech would not also see a ticket sales bonanza the kind Colorado is seeing.
Sorry, I must have. I obviously lumped you into the pile of folks that don't want "that type" infiltrating our campus.

There's what Colorado has done, there's what we did, then there's the other options of what we could have done.

I get edgy when we constatntly talk about not having money, but at every turn we have plenty of money. We raised $100M for edge, GT wanted $$ to upgrade the coaching staff under the previous staff and many of us opened our wallets. We (a lot of us) continue to donate, we show up at games, we buy merchandise, etc. If Batt and Cabrera need $5M for coaches, all they have to do is put together and campaign & make their case. We'll provide the support, but they also need to run the business. GT should be raking it in, but we've got nothing going on and prospects look bleak. Compare that to Colorado.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think this has been posted here. Interesting analysis to break down the financial impact.

Pales in comparison to a mostly empty stadium televised on Nickelodeon…

USA Today

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think this has been posted here. Interesting analysis to break down the financial impact.

Pales in comparison to a mostly empty stadium televised on Nickelodeon…

USA Today
Wow that makes me sick to think what could have been in the ATL (would have been even bigger here). Once in a lifetime opportunity and talk about being set financially regardless if Coach Prime leaves or not in a couple of years. And yes I do believe he could find plenty of great players that could get in to Tech academically.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have a strong opinion about this either way. I was in favor of Deion coming here because I could not think of a surer bet for someone who could quickly turn this program around. I still believe that was true.

I also am solidly behind Key and see strong evidence that he has what it takes.

What I disagree with is overly demonizing Deion. I see no evidence that he is a wolf in sheep’s clothing or that he is anywhere near the hustler that our former coach was.

How do I feel about his handling of players? I’m ambivalent until I see more information. Years ago I screamed and yelled into a vacuum about how Saban processed players. I didn’t like it one bit. The problem is that this is what the football world has chosen to embrace. What used to be unfair to the student athletes is now officially supported by NIL and player free agency. Everyone from players to coaches has bought into the new system. Certainly our most hated rival has.

Yeah, I would prefer a world where students are nurtured and underachievers are given a second chance to grow into their full potential. I hope that’s Key’s approach. But, honestly, I am a dinosaur and the world is quickly passing me by.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have a strong opinion about this either way. I was in favor of Deion coming here because I could not think of a surer bet for someone who could quickly turn this program around. I still believe that was true.

I also am solidly behind Key and see strong evidence that he has what it takes.

What I disagree with is overly demonizing Deion. I see no evidence that he is a wolf in sheep’s clothing or that he is anywhere near the hustler that our former coach was.

How do I feel about his handling of players? I’m ambivalent until I see more information. Years ago I screamed and yelled into a vacuum about how Saban processed players. I didn’t like it one bit. The problem is that this is what the football world has chosen to embrace. What used to be unfair to the student athletes is now officially supported by NIL and player free agency. Everyone from players to coaches has bought into the new system. Certainly our most hated rival has.

Yeah, I would prefer a world where students are nurtured and underachievers are given a second chance to grow into their full potential. I hope that’s Key’s approach. But, honestly, I am a dinosaur and the world is quickly passing me by.
Completely agree with you about not demonizing Deion. His children seem to be very solid citizens in most every way. One ‘taunting’ incident on a football field doesn’t change the fact that (1) Deion has been in his kids lives throughout;(2) his kids are accomplishing things at a pretty high level. Plenty of young people can’t say that these days.

I get not being a fan of Prime’s boisterous style, but if it works <shrugs>

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is true, but his own son taunting the ASU students with his fancy watch isn't a good look in this regard.
Completely agree with you about not demonizing Deion. His children seem to be very solid citizens in most every way. One ‘taunting’ incident on a football field doesn’t change the fact that (1) Deion has been in his kids lives throughout;(2) his kids are accomplishing things at a pretty high level. Plenty of young people can’t say that these days.

I get not being a fan of Prime’s boisterous style, but if it works <shrugs>
Lest we not also forget Shedeur trying to poke a CSU player in the eyes. Oh, and Prime Prep Academy, that was GREAT for developing young men.

"Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men. Aaron Hernandez accomplished things at a pretty high level too.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Lest we not also forget Shedeur trying to poke a CSU player in the eyes. Oh, and Prime Prep Academy, that was GREAT for developing young men.

"Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men. Aaron Hernandez accomplished things at a pretty high level too.
I do not know Deion or his kids well enough to make judgement, but apparently you do. Also, nice bringing up a murderer. Two kudos for you for poor form

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I do not know Deion or his kids well enough to make judgement, but apparently you do. Also, nice bringing up a murderer. Two kudos for you for poor form
Let me know where anything I said wasn't facts. You can replace AH with thousands of other people if you are so terribly offended, the point remains true. Try not to fall off your high horse though.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me know where anything I said wasn't facts. You can replace AH with thousands of other people if you are so terribly offended, the point remains true. Try not to fall off your high horse though.
One might assume you are a completely loathsome person based on select posts, but that would not be fair. Would it? I am not sure what gives you the ability to pass judgment on someone you do not know at all based on a select few observations, but it does not take a high horse to point out it is bad form to do so. Making a subtle comparison to AH is equally as bad, but you do you.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
One might assume you are a completely loathsome person based on select posts, but that would not be fair. Would it? I am not sure what gives you the ability to pass judgment on someone you do not know at all based on a select few observations, but it does not take a high horse to point out it is bad form to do so. Making a subtle comparison to AH is equally as bad, but you do you.
I listed two examples that countered Root4GT's claim that he was excellent in growing players into men. I'm not the only one who did so. Feel free to counter my examples with evidence in the opposite direction.

You are so focused on pearl-clutching over mention of AH that you completely missed the point of the second half of my post, so I will say it again for you. "Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men. That is an inarguable fact, despite how much you don't like my example.

Glad I have your permission to "do me" though :rolleyes:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I listed two examples that countered Root4GT's claim that he was excellent in growing players into men. I'm not the only one who did so. Feel free to counter my examples with evidence in the opposite direction.

You are so focused on pearl-clutching over mention of AH that you completely missed the point of the second half of my post, so I will say it again for you. "Accomplishing things at a pretty high level" has absolutely nothing to do with being a good person or being a good leader of men. That is an inarguable fact, despite how much you don't like my example.

Glad I have your permission to "do me" though :rolleyes:
LOL! Pearl clutching? You are funny.

By the way, I do not need to provide counterpoints because I already stated I do not know him well enough to make a judgment. You are the one casting aspersions on someone you don't know.

I missed nothing. There is zero reason to invoke a murderer in this conversation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Pearl clutching? You are funny.

By the way, I do not need to provide counterpoints because I already stated I do not know him well enough to make a judgment. You are the one casting aspersions on someone you don't know.

I missed nothing. There is zero reason to invoke a murderer in this conversation.
You are upset about facts being stated, despite having nothing to add to the discussion yourself, so you want to go after me. Got it, thank you for your contribution.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I want Georgia Tech to build a program based off of Georgia Tech not Deion Sanders. We are trying to build it the right way building a foundation. Once Deion leaves Colorado the money will go with him.

JacketFan137

Banned
I hope this is true, but his own son taunting the ASU students with his fancy watch isn't a good look in this regard.

if you don’t want to watch the video the student section was chanting “f you sanders” all game and definitely deserved to be taunted after shedeur lead a game winning drive. if a tech player did this against an in conference rival everyone in our fanbase would be calling him a hero.