Coach Prime to Colorado

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It's great news that overall we aren't being outspent by Colorado, but the scuttlebutt at the time was that there was a certain amount of "hire our guy and we'll make it happen" favor-trading behind the scenes such that that money wasn't fully there for other candidates than Key. Rumor, yes, but also in conjunction with something that was credible enough to make a reporter jump offside about Fritz.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How dare you present facts to counter the standard excuse that we couldn’t have afforded him?
Don't get me wrong - I still don't think he would have come here in any case because of the recruiting. And no one knows he wasn't contacted and said, "no, thanks".
He was asked about us once in an interview and said, "It's nice to be considered". It's the only comment I ever saw him make about the opening.

I'm happy with the coach we have, and I'm fully on board. Last year the Jackets lost by six TDs to Ole Miss. This year it was a one TD game with eight minutes to go. I'm all in with Brent Key.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow. This thread got a little edgy. Maybe some hypothetical questions can’t be asked without opening old wounds.

For the record I agree with those who suggest Deion inherited a far worse situation than any of our previous coaches. What he has accomplished so far would have been considered a staggering accomplishment in previous eras of football but now may simply be the first example of what football will become with NIL, the new transfer rules, and having a coach who understands the role media and marketing play in building a team. Fascinating, to me at least, to ask the question of whether or not Tech would ever have bought into this new slick business pro football approach to winning.

Also, for the record, I think Key is a good coach and has already gotten us playing a much more disciplined game. I’m glad we have him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wow. This thread got a little edgy. Maybe some hypothetical questions can’t be asked without opening old wounds.

For the record I agree with those who suggest Deion inherited a far worse situation than any of our previous coaches. What he has accomplished so far would have been considered a staggering accomplishment in previous eras of football but now may simply be the first example of what football will become with NIL, the new transfer rules, and having a coach who understands the role media and marketing play in building a team. Fascinating, to me at least, to ask the question of whether or not Tech would ever have bought into this new slick business pro football approach to winning.

Also, for the record, I think Key is a good coach and has already gotten us playing a much more disciplined game. I’m glad we have him.
Yeah, they're both good coaches in their own right. I'm happy with the one we've got.

JacketFan137

Banned

i don’t see why we would have needed anywhere near as drastic of an overhaul to sign that many out of the portal. we weren’t good but we did finish 5-7 with some wins over pitt and unc who were solid. we returned basically everyone on our o line (who i think is a much better unit that colorado has now). and honestly who knows maybe the fact that colorado needed that overhaul so much worse made them a more appealing destination

i’m not sure what it will ever take for a coach to ever hit the recruiting, transfer and NIL so ferociously. the guy has been building the primetime brand since he was in an fsu dorm room all he’s done is turn it from the player version to the coach version. anyone who claims to be a football fan knows who he is and he was and i think he’s always been seen as “cool” whether it was his time as a player or even now as a coach. what he says and does whether it grinds tech fans gears or not really resonates with these players at a level you won’t see from some of the other top coaches

also i do want to say even though i have been critical of key in this thread and others i said back then and i’ll say it now for me it was 1. deion 2. key and a wide margin before anyone else and i would still take key over any of those other guys today

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
^This.

The thread really isn't about whether Deion would have come here if offered nor is it about whether we could even afford him.

It's about whether we would really want our program to become Deion-centric instead of Tech-centric.

I say no.
Deion is about Deion. Not one of the kids playing at Colorado for Prine gives a rip about the school, their history or the legacy they will leave behind. They are there for Deion and Deion only. If we had hired Deion, GT would have been the last thing he was selling. Good for him, but in 2 or 3 years when he's gone to greener ($) pastures, UC will have some history with players who will never remember them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i don’t see why we would have needed anywhere near as drastic of an overhaul to sign that many out of the portal. we weren’t good but we did finish 5-7 with some wins over pitt and unc who were solid. we returned basically everyone on our o line (who i think is a much better unit that colorado has now). and honestly who knows maybe the fact that colorado needed that overhaul so much worse made them a more appealing destination

i’m not sure what it will ever take for a coach to ever hit the recruiting, transfer and NIL so ferociously. the guy has been building the primetime brand since he was in an fsu dorm room all he’s done is turn it from the player version to the coach version. anyone who claims to be a football fan knows who he is and he was and i think he’s always been seen as “cool” whether it was his time as a player or even now as a coach. what he says and does whether it grinds tech fans gears or not really resonates with these players at a level you won’t see from some of the other top coaches

also i do want to say even though i have been critical of key in this thread and others i said back then and i’ll say it now for me it was 1. deion 2. key and a wide margin before anyone else and i would still take key over any of those other guys today
Yeah, for me the short answer is I think Deion could be successful anywhere, including Tech. He is a force of nature.

The larger speculation, since we will never know, is whether in the long term he would have been a good culture fit and whether his hiring would have created some untenable frictions. I would have the same kinds of questions with a few other schools. But I can not imagine anyone hiring him would see the eventual outcome as damaging to the program, like a certain former coach.

JacketFan137

Banned
Deion is about Deion. Not one of the kids playing at Colorado for Prine gives a rip about the school, their history or the legacy they will leave behind. They are there for Deion and Deion only. If we had hired Deion, GT would have been the last thing he was selling. Good for him, but in 2 or 3 years when he's gone to greener ($) pastures, UC will have some history with players who will never remember them.
i feel like this is more of a personal bias and coming from a place of dislike of deion rather than reality. history is exactly that…history.

while many of the swarm will reference games of the 60s-90s as the glory days of tech football, i don’t think many of todays players care and i certainly don’t think it’s gonna be as revered in the next 30 years as new tech alumni enter the fold that were born after the year 2000.

getting 2-3 years of a great team with a deion esque coach that creates this much buzz and energy around the program would do far more for any school than bringing in some guy that “loves the campus and history”

i also think based on some of deion’s interviews he is selling some of these kids an opportunity to actually be the legacy of these schools.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
i feel like this is more of a personal bias and coming from a place of dislike of deion rather than reality. history is exactly that…history.

while many of the swarm will reference games of the 60s-90s as the glory days of tech football, i don’t think many of todays players care and i certainly don’t think it’s gonna be as revered in the next 30 years as new tech alumni enter the fold that were born after the year 2000.

getting 2-3 years of a great team with a deion esque coach that creates this much buzz and energy around the program would do far more for any school than bringing in some guy that “loves the campus and history”

i also think based on some of deion’s interviews he is selling some of these kids an opportunity to actually be the legacy of these schools.
Deion has been about selling "Prime" since he left FSU. I have no problem with that as he was arguably the best athlete ever on the pro level. He was the best CB of his day and arguably ever as he took away a complete half of the field from a QB. His speed and ability to see the play before it happens was unbelievable.

On a baseball diamond, his speed was a weapon and a single was always at least at double since he stole bases so successfully. He was a force on both fields.

Having said all that, he didn't recruit a single player to UC to play for the University or the Buffs; it's all about him, his personality and how they win. If he leaves after this year, 90% of those players will follow him or leave for someone else. Is that what GT wants as our signature? I have listened to Prine talk to his players and he says a lot of good things, but I find it hard to believe he will be there in 3 years. When he's gone, Colorado will be right back to where they started, wondering what the heck happened to their integrity along the way.

That's not what I want for GT, but maybe I'm old school. Back in the day, the players couldn't leave on a whim because they weren't starting their freshman year or their feelings got hurt. They committed to the school because they could use football to get a valuable degree. If the coach left, they still cared about the school and how their legacy was remembered. Calvin was here when we had a less than optimal QB passing the ball. He came here because the degree meant something to him and his family. He didn't transfer and stuck it out to become the #2 pick in the NFL draft and a first ballot HOF player. We are proud of that and rightly so.

Not one of UC's Deion stars gives a rip where Deion landed; they would have followed him to UC, Liberty. GT or East Bumble. Maybe that's what some want for our coach, but I'm on the page of wanting a good representative of the Institute to sell our brand. Key is that, CPJ was that, Collins was not that.

Knock CPJ all you want (and many will), but he sold GT for what it can do for you after football and was clear to his players. Football is temporary; use football to advance your life.

You appear to be all about winning and I get that appeal, but winning at any cost and not helping the players become better people is not in our mission. If you feel that winning is all that matters in the college game, we will have to agree to disagree.

JacketFan137

Banned
Not one of UC's Deion stars gives a rip where Deion landed; they would have followed him to UC, Liberty. GT or East Bumble. Maybe that's what some want for our coach, but I'm on the page of wanting a good representative of the Institute to sell our brand. Key is that, CPJ was that, Collins was not that.
i strongly disagree with what you have said here and it leads me to believe yours stance is built more on personal feelings towards coaches rather than what is actually done and said. you can say a lot of things about collins and he will forever be at best the second worst coach we’ve ever had but he did actually make it a major point that tech was giving players opportunities outside of football. many uga fans were pissed for him saying things along the lines of “we actually offer a meaningful degree along with the chance to play major college football”. from day 1 he did always have a lot of great things to say about tech as a college and what you said here is just not true. he was just a god awful coach

frankly i think most of what you’re saying is just holding onto a bygone era of college football that really won’t ever come back. i would rather play the game of today than reminisce about how great things used to be back in the day. i’m sure deep down many of these other posters feel the same they just don’t like deion and don’t wanna budge on their incorrect takes from before he started at colorado

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
frankly i think most of what you’re saying is just holding onto a bygone era of college football that really won’t ever come back. i would rather play the game of today than reminisce about how great things used to be back in the day.
I compare the way it IS versus the way it WAS and the way it OUGHT to be.

That's not terribly pragmatic, but my compass points toward ideals.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
One other thought.

Consider two sports legends - Deion Sanders and Cal Ripken.

IMO, one is a cultural icon and marketing brand; the other is a hero and role model.

Am I wrong?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A person can be a showboat, have a shtick, revolutionize a sport, and still be a decent human being. I did not like Muhammad Ali when he first started professionally boxing but I was soon converted. He understood the game, had godlike athletic skills, and used those to take boxing to another level. But he never lost his core integrity and he proved through his behind the scenes philanthropic work that he cared deeply about the human condition. Deion may be a similar type. I will say for the 100th time that I am glad Key is our coach but some of the attacks on Deion seem to reflect negative assumptions about him that I have yet to see evidence for.

slugboy

Staff member
Then you should be happy with our offense this year.

Liberty 763 yards 9 TDs us 930 yards 9 TDs

Liberty rushing 721 yards avg 5.3 us 610 yards Avg 5.2

I looked at their schedule—we’d easily be 3-0 with their opponents, and it doesn’t get much tougher. Sagarin has them as the #155 strength of schedule, including FCS teams. They could be favored in every game.

Ours is the #36 strength of schedule. If we played Liberty’s schedule, fans would be talking about how we should be ranked in the top 25.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The ACC is certainly superior to the rebuilt Big12. What are the B12 marquee names? Utah is it. After them, who? Kansas State? Baylor? Texas Tech? UCF?

Colorado as long as Prime is there.