Coach Prime to Colorado

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Colorado as long as Prime is there.

Eyeballs on Sanders is going to pay dividends. I would have been onboard if he didn't go by the moniker "Coach Prime." That's a little too "look at me" for my taste.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Colorado as long as Prime is there.

The "new" will be gone on that by next year, the following year for sure. The ACC clearly has more names & better programs than the revamped B12.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The "new" will be gone on that by next year, the following year for sure. The ACC clearly has more names & better programs than the revamped B12.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We always say winning solves everything, and here he is winning in Colorado. Why does winning only work with us and not there? If he continues to win big games there, he can honestly build Colorado into a juggernaut.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. We always say winning solves everything, and here he is winning in Colorado. Why does winning only work with us and not there? If he continues to win big games there, he can honestly build Colorado into a juggernaut.
I like Prime, so let me say that first.
I also believe once his sons - and Travis Hunter - are in the league, he will move on to something else. IMO he's not interested in building something longterm at Colorado.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Funny how the bar keeps getting moved with Prime. We’ve gone all the way from “he’s never coached at the P5 level, to he hasn’t proven he can win consistently at this level, to it won’t last, to he’ll be moving on shortly.” No matter what success he has, and it’s been pretty sensational, there’s always a “yes, but…”

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I like Prime, so let me say that first.
I also believe once his sons - and Travis Hunter - are in the league, he will move on to something else. IMO he's not interested in building something longterm at Colorado.

My original reply was "Colorado as long as Prime is there."

Whether he goes or stays is immaterial to the question posed. As long as Prime is winning at Colorado then Colorado will be a marquee B12 program.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do we keep saying as long as Prime keeps winning at Colorado? He's 3-0 and beaten two bad teams. Let's crown his *** after they play Oregon and USC over the next 10 days.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why do we keep saying as long as Prime keeps winning at Colorado? He's 3-0 and beaten two bad teams. Let's crown his *** after they play Oregon and USC over the next 10 days.

Going 3-0 with two wins against "bad teams" is monumentally better than 2022 Colorado. When Collins spent an entire offseason preaching about the biggest rebuild in NCAA history, he was actually prophesying the coming of Deion Sanders to Colorado. Colorado is going to lose games this year, most likely beginning this weekend, but that that is in large part due to the train wreck he needed to turn around. The defense is truly abysmal, and the offense isn't going to consistently move the ball with its current offensive line. That doesn't mean Colorado and Prime don't deserve they hype, as they would have been 0-3 to start the season otherwise.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Imo it's just silly to compare Key and Deion at this point. It's three games. Let the season and their tenures breathe a bit.

That being said long term my money would be on Deion over Key because, generally speaking, he's been successful at almost everything he's done and I think he's way lot smarter than he's given credit for by most. But I'm not sure his style or plan would have worked here so the comparison is really irrelevant in my eyes.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Going 3-0 with two wins against "bad teams" is monumentally better than 2022 Colorado. When Collins spent an entire offseason preaching about the biggest rebuild in NCAA history, he was actually prophesying the coming of Deion Sanders to Colorado. Colorado is going to lose games this year, most likely beginning this weekend, but that that is in large part due to the train wreck he needed to turn around. The defense is truly abysmal, and the offense isn't going to consistently move the ball with its current offensive line. That doesn't mean Colorado and Prime don't deserve they hype, as they would have been 0-3 to start the season otherwise.
I can’t tell if you agree or disagree, but I think you both are 100% correct.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the hype around Prime makes sense, but that Colorado has a lot of work before they are elite. I think the turnaround has been remarkable.
He got rid of the entire team and purchased a brand new team. 2023 shouldn't remotely compare to 2022 Colorado because there might be 10 players that played on both teams? I'm not putting Sanders down. He has the name value and NIL funding to go recruit the players he recruited but let's not act like he took a 1-11 roster and is winning with that mess.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He got rid of the entire team and purchased a brand new team. 2023 shouldn't remotely compare to 2022 Colorado because there might be 10 players that played on both teams? I'm not putting Sanders down. He has the name value and NIL funding to go recruit the players he recruited but let's not act like he took a 1-11 roster and is winning with that mess.
Colorado has vastly different players and coaches. It is still Colorado. Ole Miss has had like 40 transfers in since 2022. Some teams are going to make heavy use of the portal, some aren't. It ignores an entire facet of college football to say Colorado of 2022 can't be compared to 2023 just because Colorado went crazy on the portal.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think “purchased” a brand new team is unfair - if it was just money there are a lot of places who could outspend Colorado.
I think you’re assigning a negative connotation to the word “purchased” when no such negativity exists. Purchasing a college football team is neither against the rules nor even frowned upon. In fact, its being encouraged.

JacketFan137

Banned
if they go to a bowl game that is basically double their projected win total this off-season and would place him at the front runners of coach of the year. there is no shame in losing to oregon or usc when you are in the position they’re in.

he’s already turned colorado into the biggest draw in college football and that in turn leads to more NIL and funding for recruiting, facilities etc. for all of the deion doubters and haters i really hope y’all are prepared cause they will continue to get better and deion will be on tv even more in the coming years

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you’re assigning a negative connotation to the word “purchased” when no such negativity exists. Purchasing a college football team is neither against the rules nor even frowned upon. In fact, its being encouraged.
It's not negative on its own but it's being used to discount the value of charisma and recruiting and sales ability and emphasize the importance of spending.

But there are far more programs out there that can spend $$$$$ who aren't bringing in the players to turn things around that quickly.

So there's something more unique to what Sanders can do, and it's inaccurate to ignore that when evaluating him as a coach.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not negative on its own but it's being used to discount the value of charisma and recruiting and sales ability and emphasize the importance of spending.

But there are far more programs out there that can spend $$$$$ who aren't bringing in the players to turn things around that quickly.

So there's something more unique to what Sanders can do, and it's inaccurate to ignore that when evaluating him as a coach.
Sanders spent more capital than just $$. He used his immense cult of personality capital to bring in a number of interesting players. NIL $ helped too, but his charisma and swagger also helped. The interesting thing about him is, like Jordan, he talks and talks and talks, but he's the first in and last out and works his tail off in preparation.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Of course you compare the 2022 and 2023 teams. Sanders rebuilt a roster basically from scratch in one offseason. How many coaches do you think could do that and field a decent team? No doubt Oregon and USC are much better teams and will win their games against Colorado. With Hunter out 3 weeks with a lacerated kidney from a complete cheap shot they are playing without one of their 2 true difference makers. Still they are a fascinating story and play entertaining football.

JacketFan137

Banned
Of course you compare the 2022 and 2023 teams. Sanders rebuilt a roster basically from scratch in one offseason. How many coaches do you think could do that and field a decent team? No doubt Oregon and USC are much better teams and will win their games against Colorado. With Hunter out 3 weeks with a lacerated kidney from a complete cheap shot they are playing without one of their 2 true difference makers. Still they are a fascinating story and play entertaining football.
travis is basically 2 players since he’s the best defender and a stud offensive weapon lol