Coach Prime to Colorado

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imo it's just silly to compare Key and Deion at this point. It's three games. Let the season and their tenures breathe a bit.

That being said long term my money would be on Deion over Key because, generally speaking, he's been successful at almost everything he's done and I think he's way lot smarter than he's given credit for by most. But I'm not sure his style or plan would have worked here so the comparison is really irrelevant in my eyes.
This is exactly my take. Sanders is really smart and savvy. But, his swaggy approach is a culture clash with GT and probably would not have went well. He's a winner and will probably be successful in most things he does. He puts in the time and the effort to make his own success. That being said, I don't think he would have been a good fit.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sanders spent more capital than just $$. He used his immense cult of personality capital to bring in a number of interesting players. NIL $ helped too, but his charisma and swagger also helped. The interesting thing about him is, like Jordan, he talks and talks and talks, but he's the first in and last out and works his tail off in preparation.
To be honest, it looks to me like Sanders is an excellent Dad. His sons are all solid citizens afaik. High achievers, in fact. Say what you want about him as a coach, I value him as a positive role model for fathers everywhere.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
threads tend to wander.
We should've just had Colorado join the ACC instead of the Big 12 along with SMU and then this would still be on topic.
There could be another 100 pages of forest in this thread if Colorado manages to win one or two of their next games.

Espn Stanford GIF by College GameDay

JacketFan137

Banned
There could be another 100 pages of forest in this thread if Colorado manages to win one or two of their next games.

Espn Stanford GIF by College GameDay
at this point i’m only rooting for it to watch the goal posts continue to move farther on here and in the rest of the CFB world. we have gone from “this is just a disaster waiting to happen, tcu will blow them out” to “it’s only tcu” “it’s only nebraska”.

watching the haters and doubters fumble over themselves looking stupid i think is half the appeal of prime and colorado right now. it’s also a nice break from the monotony of the cfb world only covering bama, notre dame, clemson, uga, ohio state and texas

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Exactly ⬆️ this.

More nuanced than that. The field was always tilted to Key due to multiple big donors who favored GT ties. Batt favored Chadwell, Fritz, and some other names that were not published. GT simply did not have the money to tell those big donors to pound sand and hire who Batt/Cabrera wanted.

To Key's credit, he was willing to take the job with a salary at the lower end of the P5 spectrum and in return get more money for his staff and NIL commitments.

From what I understand, Batt navigated that situation without fracturing the high level donor base. Batt and Cabrera were looking at the long game...and Key isn't a bad coach at all. This fanbase needed some healing after the way Paul Johnson was handled towards the end, and how Collins and Stansbury treated some CPJ supporters.

I think we need to look further than what's going on the first 3 games of the season. The current administration is looking at the bigger picture, and not just making a temporary splash.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
More nuanced than that. The field was always tilted to Key due to multiple big donors who favored GT ties. Batt favored Chadwell, Fritz, and some other names that were not published. GT simply did not have the money to tell those big donors to pound sand and hire who Batt/Cabrera wanted.

To Key's credit, he was willing to take the job with a salary at the lower end of the P5 spectrum and in return get more money for his staff and NIL commitments.

From what I understand, Batt navigated that situation without fracturing the high level donor base. Batt and Cabrera were looking at the long game...and Key isn't a bad coach at all. This fanbase needed some healing after the way Paul Johnson was handled towards the end, and how Collins and Stansbury treated some CPJ supporters.

I think we need to look further than what's going on the first 3 games of the season. The current administration is looking at the bigger picture, and not just making a temporary splash.

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing that. I certainly don’t envy Batt’s position in this. It’s probably a lot of work to assuage the level of tension with the big donors after Stansbury chose to burn the boats following the 100-0 disaster to end to the 2021 season.

Any insights on why we hired a team of mutts to conduct the coaching search if Key was a forgone conclusion from the folks writing the checks? As tight as the school is with money, it seems frivolous to waste it on optics.

slugboy

Staff member
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing that. I certainly don’t envy Batt’s position in this. It’s probably a lot of work to assuage the level of tension with the big donors after Stansbury chose to burn the boats following the 100-0 disaster to end to the 2021 season.

Any insights on why we hired a team of mutts to conduct the coaching search if Key was a forgone conclusion from the folks writing the checks? As tight as the school is with money, it seems frivolous to waste it on optics.

I don’t think it was a foregone conclusion. The search firm would have generated and vetted a really good list of names. Then, those names go in front of the selection committee, with boosters on that committee or connected to it.
Even if you asked beforehand, people change their minds when they actually have to decide.
When it’s time to actually offer Deion, people who “would be ok with or consider him” might suddenly say “no”. Chadwell supporters might say “not with that DC”.
They may have also been OK with a selection before they either met them, heard their plans for the program, or heard their conditions for the job.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the word caution or cautious can have more than one connotation as we are using it here. It can mean prudent. It can mean politically expedient. It can mean “do no harm.” It can mean ruffle the fewest feathers. It can mean play the cards your dealt rather than gambling on drawing an inside straight. It can mean doing something that will create the least amount of blame if things go south. It can mean we’ve crunched the numbers.

It is the Tech way. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

slugboy

Staff member
Colorado looks like they play good defense. They were about the #120 team last year. Now, they’re ranked #19.
The experiment is successful so far, even if they lose to Oregon and USC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Colorado looks like they play good defense. They were about the #120 team last year. Now, they’re ranked #19.
The experiment is successful so far, even if they lose to Oregon and USC

They just need to be competitive against Oregon and USC, and go to a bowl game. That would be a huge success for Colorado and Deion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Colorado will be fine. Oregon is recruiting at an elite level. They are elite in the trenches and at QB. They are a top 10 team and they're trying to send a message. Colorado is probably overrated at the moment, but they will get wins against teams that recruit in the same neighborhood as they recruit.

I expect them to go bowling, which will be a massive achievement for CO and Prime.