Coach Prime to Colorado

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Colorado defense has given up 42, 14 and 35. Why are people not calling Deion a clown for allowing his program to be putrid on D? Oh and they gave up nearly 600 yards to TCU. Funny. Also heisman candidate Sanders has one more touchdown pass than Haynes King.
They’ve had 1 season where they won more than 6 games in the last 18 yrs. They are 3-0 now. He came in, cleaned house and is winning. You don’t get called a clown when you go from epic losing to winning 3IAR to start your tenure at a new place particularly when you’re playing real programs not ScSt, etc. He’s selling out games, sold out season tickets, donations thru the roof. None of that is clownish.

Sad thing is the ACC probably could have courted the entire B12 plus Colorado and had a solid national conference. Too timid, just like GT. We keep Thacker, nice and safe play.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Dude 3 players remain from that 1-11 team. You act like Deion took this same group of guys that 1-11 and started out 3-0. He replaced the entire two deep roster which you can not seem to comprehend
That was the problem. Colorado decided to burn the house down and rebuild, went after a candidate that would get the job done. He’s doing it.

He’a likely going to lose to Oregon and USCw, Wash and most of the other ranked teams they play. Last year they were losing games by 4-6 TDs every damn week. Complete turnaround and in record time.

Lots of talking heads said it wouldn’t work. They were wrong again.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
This comparison doesn’t matter because if we couldn’t afford Fritz then we sure as hell couldn’t afford Deion. You might as well ask Kiffin vs Key, because that was the same realm of possibility of Deion sanders coming here

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They’ve had 1 season where they won more than 6 games in the last 18 yrs. They are 3-0 now. He came in, cleaned house and is winning. You don’t get called a clown when you go from epic losing to winning 3IAR to start your tenure at a new place particularly when you’re playing real programs not ScSt, etc. He’s selling out games, sold out season tickets, donations thru the roof. None of that is clownish.

Sad thing is the ACC probably could have courted the entire B12 plus Colorado and had a solid national conference. Too timid, just like GT. We keep Thacker, nice and safe play.
I don't think Deion's a clown at all, and he'll be successful at Colorado. But he wouldn't have considered coming here IMO because of recruiting restrictions, so the question is moot.
And even if he would have come here, consider that the enormous expense of getting him here would have been a much bigger gamble for a program that's 200 million dollars in the hole. The fan base in Colorado is way bigger and it's a totally different situation.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Sanders looks to me to be proving out the ultimate high velocity purified model for pro football hosted by a college, but otherwise disassociated from academics. It’s a different game.

It looks easier than assembling the greatest NFL team: No player contracts (so no commitment - you had a bad year, get your *** out of here), no spending limits, players can be bought relatively cheaply, no draft designed to help weaker teams become competitive. Go get the best players, make sure their NIL is solid enough, surround them with the best player development coaching staff money can buy. Tell them they’re all heading to the NFL, immediately on tv all the time, media stars, led by the ultimate self promoter.

We can’t play that game. The folks who should nervous imo are the SEC factories who thought they had the success formula down. Sanders appears to me to be taking what the SEC does to another level.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I think the administration here would have never let Deion transfer in 70 guys like he did at Colorado so it would be a very different situation

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This comparison doesn’t matter because if we couldn’t afford Fritz then we sure as hell couldn’t afford Deion. You might as well ask Kiffin vs Key, because that was the same realm of possibility of Deion sanders coming here
I have wondered if Fritz wasn't interested in the job last year. Money may have been part of it but he may have wanted to finish his season and bowl game before making a decision. We probably wanted to make a quicker announcement with signing date approaching. This is just speculation on my part but coaches can have team loyalty to players. **** Sheridan pulled out of the UGA job when they announced he was coming there from Furman before his season was over and he wanted it kept secret. He went to NC State.
I have always thought Fritz was a good coach after watching GA Southern almost beat us. JT pulled that one out with his great play late in the game.
I would have been pleased if Fritz had come here but I am 100% on board with Key. Now just fix the defense.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
3 things
1) Y’all really think Deion was interested in this job? Probably not
2) I highly doubt we could take on the transfers like he has at CU because of our own rules. We seen to only allow Fr or Grad transfers in…
3) We can’t even come close to affording him and a staff he wanted.

We are what we are. A low/mid level P5 athletic association. We’re basically broke financially.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
but more seriously you seem to ignore the fact we are entering year 5 with thacker in charge of our defense and deion in year 1 has taken over a 1-11 team that was far worse than anything collins and thacker inherited from paul johnson.

you are very clearly just looking to argue because you seem to be ignoring any and all nuance surrounding the situation.
I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up Johnson as if he were the reason Collins failed.

I’m honestly surprised it took you until Page 3.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone here would be complaining if Key had brought in a few defensive playmakers like he brought in King on offense, so the "relying on transfers" thing is a bit of a non-issue to me. I'm sure there are a good number out there that could've made the transfer in, it's not like we didn't take anyone talented in the portal. I'm sure Sanders would've gotten even more impact players even if he couldn't have turned the roster over as much - call it half as much and we'd still probably be in much better immediate shape.

I have my doubts about how long he'd stay and how much you could capture of that success for the next coach, but you could still probably capture enough $$$ in three years or so to be in a better position than we were right after Collins. So maybe it would've been a wortwhile gamble, except that based on what we apparently couldn't pay for other coaches in the running and what we are paying Key, it's not clear we could've made it anyway unless a handful of big-money-people were fully on board and coughed up much more.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
3 things
1) Y’all really think Deion was interested in this job? Probably not
2) I highly doubt we could take on the transfers like he has at CU because of our own rules. We seen to only allow Fr or Grad transfers in…
3) We can’t even come close to affording him and a staff he wanted.

We are what we are. A low/mid level P5 athletic association. We’re basically broke financially.
Regarding 3)
People keep saying this, but GT and Colorado are basically, paying the same amount in salaries, to their football staffs.
Deion makes about 3 mil more, per year than Key, but Key, has about 3 mil more to spend on assistants and staff.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
But can we please acknowledge Colorado has one signature win and it was TCU? Hell even TFG beat a ranked team once. Colorado will finish 5-7 and allow 110 points over the next two games then the hype will die

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Sanders looks to me to be proving out the ultimate high velocity purified model for pro football hosted by a college, but otherwise disassociated from academics. It’s a different game.

It looks easier than assembling the greatest NFL team: No player contracts (so no commitment - you had a bad year, get your *** out of here), no spending limits, players can be bought relatively cheaply, no draft designed to help weaker teams become competitive. Go get the best players, make sure their NIL is solid enough, surround them with the best player development coaching staff money can buy. Tell them they’re all heading to the NFL, immediately on tv all the time, media stars, led by the ultimate self promoter.

We [DON'T WANT TO] play that game. The folks who should nervous imo are the SEC factories who thought they had the success formula down. Sanders appears to me to be taking what the SEC does to another level.
FIFY.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pundits already speculating on his next head coaching job. Once his very talented kid is gone, he may not be quite so successful. His kid is a player!!
Colorado will have a tough time the next two weeks with Oregon and USC. Sanders will have no issue getting very good recruits and transfers. Few other coaches will be able to do what he has. He is a celebrity. Just look at all the celebrities' who were in Boulder yesterday. That resonates with young football players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Regarding 3)
People keep saying this, but GT and Colorado are basically, paying the same amount in salaries, to their football staffs.
Deion makes about 3 mil more, per year than Key, but Key, has about 3 mil more to spend on assistants and staff.

I was surprised to find you are correct.

Last edited:

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding 3)

How dare you present facts to counter the standard excuse that we couldn’t have afforded him?