Coach Collins has lost to a FCS school two straight years

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hope isn’t much of a strategy, though I accept it’s all we can really do as fans.

Not just hope my friend ...apparently many amongst us believe that getting on a message board anonymously and repeating the same things over and over ad infinitum is another tool in the fan's limited toolbox!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Not just hope my friend ...apparently many amongst us believe that getting on a message board anonymously and repeating the same things over and over ad infinitum is another tool in the fan's limited toolbox!

You are correct, complaining is not much of a tool. That's why I decided that I am not going to watch any more games this season... At least that way my entire fall won't be ruined by being in a foul mood the whole time.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is from a Temple board.....
HC Collins got Temple 2 winning seasons and a 3RD Bowl victory. I am thankful for these legacies.

HC Collins went to Georgia Tech. He took tge loathed OC Patenaude with him. For this I am very grateful.

Getting to play HC Collins as head of Georgia Tech with OC Patenaude still OC the year after he left, well, this is Divine justice!!!

These people should be your guiding light - certainly not any phoney concern with GT.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
His first losing season was the season after an ACC Championship. His second losing season was a season after finishing #7 in the country(our second highest final ranking in 50 years). His third losing season was a season after a 9 win season that included a win against UGA. If Collins is just losing without any of those highs, he won’t last more than 3 three seasons.

But the money boys and people with at least one ounce realize what CPJ inherited compared to what he left.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, I don't think we have time. We were expected to be down this year, but certainly not like what we saw yesterday. If he doesn't get things in order FAST, neither he nor GT football will survive.

SS: I don't believe people really understand this is a real possibility. It makes me sad. It would seem to me that if CGC had hired an innovative OC who could properly "transition" from what we have to what he wants, that would have made a lot more sense.

MAT 2005

Georgia Tech Fan
Hate to be pessimistic, but 8 wins is not happening lol
Well 8 wins wasn’t happening even if PJ was still here. I think what’s being missed here is that GT needed something new!! Kids didn’t wanna come here and honestly the way Kirby is recruiting PJ didn’t stand a chance of beating them again!! To run a pro-style offense you need pro-style players!!! Not 260 pound linemen and only 7 players that can bench 225!!

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Well 8 wins wasn’t happening even if PJ was still here. I think what’s being missed here is that GT needed something new!! Kids didn’t wanna come here and honestly the way Kirby is recruiting PJ didn’t stand a chance of beating them again!! To run a pro-style offense you need pro-style players!!! Not 260 pound linemen and only 7 players that can bench 225!!
I dont disagree

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont disagree
I do disagree.

I think the rule changes made an 11 win season unlikely, but I would have expected at least 6 wins against this schedule, with a chance at 9 if things broke out way.

That said, PJ is gone, so it doesn't really matter.

I had hoped that our current staff was good enough to muddle through with players that didn't match their system, maybe get to 4 or 5 wins this year and next. Now I'm just hoping the current staff is good enough to win when they have their players in system, and that they can recruit well thru the next two rough years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yeah, he lost to Villanova last year. And then Temple finished 7-1 in conference and won 8 of their last 10 games. The Temple players and coaches didn't give up and we've got to hope ours don't either. For what it's worth, Temple knocked off a ranked Maryland team yesterday 20-17. The state Collins left that program seems solid, but it clearly took him time to get it right.

Agree about how they rebounded last year. CGC didn’t build Temple up though. He inherited a pretty decent program and by and large maintained what he inherited.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Unfortunately, I don't think we have time. We were expected to be down this year, but certainly not like what we saw yesterday. If he doesn't get things in order FAST, neither he nor GT football will survive.

We have a bye and then Temple. As bad as Saturday was I expect a much better game from us next week. That’s all I want. I’m not even demanding a W...Temple looks pretty good. Just clean things up, play hard, and let the chips fall where they may.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I've waited until Monday to put down my thoughts about Saturday and what I've read since then. I think there's too much negativity.

The Citadel did to us what we did to others. We have a young defense that has been charged with being aggressive and flying to the ball. I wondered if we would have similar problems as some of our more undisciplined opponents had in the earlier years (Miami, FSU, uga, etc.). I guess we did. I thought we'd be able to just muscle through them, but, no.

I think against Temple, our defense will not look as porous and we'll play much better. I think that will be true for every team we play from here on out. It will be interesting to see if Cutcliffe runs some spread option football against us after seeing us struggle against it. I think our offense is what it is, a work in progress. Eventually something will click into place and that is what we'll have moving forward.

We lost an embarrassing game. It's yesterday's news. It's unfortunate that we have to wait two weeks to get back in the saddle, but I think by the time we get Temple, some things will be more settled. Hopefully, this time will help us get some of our OL healthier.

I am not a hype guy. I don't like flash. I'm a show me don't tell me kind of guy. That being said, I understand this is what the kids today want to see. I understand that CGC has to distance his staff and GT from the Spread Option as CPJ ran it for recruiting purposes. I understand that 17/18 year old kids don't look at life and life decisions the way we do. Teenage brains = underdeveloped prefrontal cortex. I think CGC gets that. I believe CGC understands that there has to be substance behind the hype, and that we haven't looked as good as we should have (even with players not matched well with what we're trying to do).

I believe that our coaching staff is more qualified than anyone on this board to determine what players should be playing and why the players that are playing are playing. I believe they have knowledge and information not available to us, and that we scratch our heads at some of the calls. But they're still more qualified that we are. That being said, they're fallible, so they will make mistakes. CGC made a costly one at the end of the game. They're still more qualified that we are. I'm going to trust them.

I'm not giving up on this team improving this year. I think we have an opportunity to win many more games this year. I'd say we have 1 game that I'm not sure we can be competitive in, but that's a season away and many things can happen between now and then. We could go 1-11 or go to a bowl game. But the angst I've been reading on this board is crazy.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Okay, I've waited until Monday to put down my thoughts about Saturday and what I've read since then. I think there's too much negativity.

The Citadel did to us what we did to others. We have a young defense that has been charged with being aggressive and flying to the ball. I wondered if we would have similar problems as some of our more undisciplined opponents had in the earlier years (Miami, FSU, uga, etc.). I guess we did. I thought we'd be able to just muscle through them, but, no.

I think against Temple, our defense will not look as porous and we'll play much better. I think that will be true for every team we play from here on out. It will be interesting to see if Cutcliffe runs some spread option football against us after seeing us struggle against it. I think our offense is what it is, a work in progress. Eventually something will click into place and that is what we'll have moving forward.

We lost an embarrassing game. It's yesterday's news. It's unfortunate that we have to wait two weeks to get back in the saddle, but I think by the time we get Temple, some things will be more settled. Hopefully, this time will help us get some of our OL healthier.

I am not a hype guy. I don't like flash. I'm a show me don't tell me kind of guy. That being said, I understand this is what the kids today want to see. I understand that CGC has to distance his staff and GT from the Spread Option as CPJ ran it for recruiting purposes. I understand that 17/18 year old kids don't look at life and life decisions the way we do. Teenage brains = underdeveloped prefrontal cortex. I think CGC gets that. I believe CGC understands that there has to be substance behind the hype, and that we haven't looked as good as we should have (even with players not matched well with what we're trying to do).

I believe that our coaching staff is more qualified than anyone on this board to determine what players should be playing and why the players that are playing are playing. I believe they have knowledge and information not available to us, and that we scratch our heads at some of the calls. But they're still more qualified that we are. That being said, they're fallible, so they will make mistakes. CGC made a costly one at the end of the game. They're still more qualified that we are. I'm going to trust them.

I'm not giving up on this team improving this year. I think we have an opportunity to win many more games this year. I'd say we have 1 game that I'm not sure we can be competitive in, but that's a season away and many things can happen between now and then. We could go 1-11 or go to a bowl game. But the angst I've been reading on this board is crazy.
I respect your position... Here is a question for everyone ...if we lose to Temple does 28K show like the Citadel game or do we see less on gameday once ACC play starts?