Clemson

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't remove them.put them in a rotation with other teams in the ACC Atlantic Division.
I was being silly and insinuating we’d see them every year in the ACC championship if they weren’t a permanent rival. I don’t really care either way, but I do think it’s dumb we only play the other Atlantic teams once a decade.

Jmonty71

Banned
i hope I’m not having a loser’s mentality here , but I for one would like to quit playing Clemson every year. I know people are gonna day it’s cause I think we can’t beat them , but I think it’d just be nice to change things up some , I mean we’ve never played Syracuse , BC, Louisville very much over the years , why not mix it up?
Clemson and Ugag are rival games. We just need to get better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we should keep the permanent rivals but seed the divisions every year based on the previous year's results. I want to play CU every year, but I'd like to play FSU rather than d'oh U some years or Cuse rather than Pitt. Heck, CU is the only ACC team that I care about seeing every year.

I'm sure there's a way to seed the divisions that can maximizes a rotation through the whole conference more regularly.

It would maximize the chances of the championship game being between two of the best teams as well as keeping the divisions from being either too top-heavy or too much of a parody.

slugboy

Staff member
Just round robin the conference schedule and drop the divisions entirely. Have the top two teams by record play in the championship.
Syracuse against Clemson would have made a lot more sense for the ACC championship.
It’s not like anyone knows why one division is “Atlantic” and the other is “Coastal” instead of the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just round robin the conference schedule and drop the divisions entirely. Have the top two teams by record play in the championship.
Syracuse against Clemson would have made a lot more sense for the ACC championship.
It’s not like anyone knows why one division is “Atlantic” and the other is “Coastal” instead of the other way around.

I believe there is more to it though. I think UVA and VT are legally required to play each other each year. I don't see UNC and NCState giving up their series either. Would you want round robin with one permanent rivalry? That would fix some things, but still have issues. Would you force those schools to use their rivalry game as a non-conference game? This is how I think it should be done, but I understand it has its own issues as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I believe there is more to it though. I think UVA and VT are legally required to play each other each year. I don't see UNC and NCState giving up their series either. Would you want round robin with one permanent rivalry? That would fix some things, but still have issues. Would you force those schools to use their rivalry game as a non-conference game? This is how I think it should be done, but I understand it has its own issues as well.

True, but on the other hand, UNC gets to use a conference game to play NCST, while FSU has to use one of their few non-conference games to play Florida. UNC gets to use that non-conference game to schedule a Bowling Green or Marshall or another team to boost their record. That’s not fair.

The ACC could generate a multi year schedule, and on the years that VT and UVA aren’t assigned a conference game, they put the rivalry in their non-conference schedule. On those years, the rivalry game would count to overall record and head to head tiebreakers, but not to their conference record.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
True, but on the other hand, UNC gets to use a conference game to play NCST, while FSU has to use one of their few non-conference games to play Florida. UNC gets to use that non-conference game to schedule a Bowling Green or Marshall or another team to boost their record. That’s not fair.

The ACC could generate a multi year schedule, and on the years that VT and UVA aren’t assigned a conference game, they put the rivalry in their non-conference schedule. On those years, the rivalry game would count to overall record and head to head tiebreakers, but not to their conference record.

I agree that the schedules as they are give some teams competitive advantages and other teams disadvantages. I was just trying to point out that it isn't as simple as making it round robin and calling it quits. The partner teams would have to agree that they are willing to schedule their rivalry games as non-confernece games, which I am not sure has been done in any conference.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We keep playing Clemson because
- it gives us a better chance of a non Noon game and a night game at bds
- it gives better chance to be on national broadcast which helps recruiting.
- there fans are not jerks( like uga) or wusses (wake forest)
- they has a cool band.
- the recruits we want really want to play them.
- we will eventually upset them on national TV.

To end discussion = see 1.
I agree with all of your points except the fourth one. Cool bands don’t need mics at home.