Clemson

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So what if Louisville becomes a top 10 team? Then we play them every year instead of Clemson? Do we drop Louisville and add clemson again?
No, rotate 2 cross overs every year at random. So maybe Clemson and BC one year, then Louisvill and Wake the next, and the N.C. State and Syracuse the next. Will it be uneven some years? Probably, but at least every team will have an equal shot at that happening and it not being uneven from the get go. You don’t HAVE to have a permanent cross over.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
No, rotate 2 cross overs every year at random. So maybe Clemson and BC one year, then Louisvill and Wake the next, and the N.C. State and Syracuse the next. Will it be uneven some years? Probably, but at least every team will have an equal shot at that happening and it not being uneven from the get go. You don’t HAVE to have a permanent cross over.

So before Clemson became Alabama did you think we shouldn't play them every year?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So before Clemson became Alabama did you think we shouldn't play them every year?
Didn’t have an opinion then to be honest, I didn’t pay enough attention to the ins and out of it. Honestly thats irrelevant though, it’s about scheduling by the ACC that makes sense and is fair. The NFL schedules a specific way for a reason, of course we couldn’t totally do it like the NFL, but would you not agree the NFL system is WAY better than the college level? BTW even if Clemson wasn’t a big time program I would still think it needs to be on a rotation, because it makes sense.

Animal02

Banned
For what it's worth, I read the OP's post as having nothing to do with the strength of crossover opponents or being scared. He simply said he'd prefer to play other teams more often.

That being said, since others brought up the issue of having an imbalance in the strength of crossover opponents, I've always felt there was one solution that could satisfy almost everyone. It's been stated on the board many times. That solution is, your qualification for the ACCCG is based on division record only. In other words, if we sweep the Coastal, it doesn't matter if we lose both crossover games. We won our division with a record of 6-0. Just because VT, or Pitt, or whoever goes 7-1 based on beating Wake and Louisville, it doesn't matter. They weren't the best team in our division.
That would be an acceptable change as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll also offer that I am warm to the idea of 3 5-team divisions. You play the 4 in your division every year, then you have 5 "crossovers". In that set-up, the longest you go without playing a team in the ACC is 2 years. It's a 9 game conference schedule.

Someone smarter than me can figure out how to assign the 2 teams that play for a championship. I'm thinking it would go in the order of 1) did you win your division, 2) Head-to-head results, 3) record vs. common opponents (for which there should be many now), then hopefully the rest rarely matters or is immaterial.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t have an opinion then to be honest, I didn’t pay enough attention to the ins and out of it. Honestly thats irrelevant though, it’s about scheduling by the ACC that makes sense and is fair. The NFL schedules a specific way for a reason, of course we couldn’t totally do it like the NFL, but would you not agree the NFL system is WAY better than the college level? BTW even if Clemson wasn’t a big time program I would still think it needs to be on a rotation, because it makes sense.

We sell more tickets when Clemson is on the schedule. Having a home schedule of UNC , Va Tech , Duke and Boston college is not very exciting imo I look forward to that big game

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We keep playing Clemson because
- it gives us a better chance of a non Noon game and a night game at bds
- it gives better chance to be on national broadcast which helps recruiting.
- there fans are not jerks( like uga) or wusses (wake forest)
- they has a cool band.
- the recruits we want really want to play them.
- we will eventually upset them on national TV.

To end discussion = see 1.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We sell more tickets when Clemson is on the schedule. Having a home schedule of UNC , Va Tech , Duke and Boston college is not very exciting imo I look forward to that big game
I get what you are getting at, but like I posted before, We want to do better in keeping up with the power houses in recruiting, funding, staff size ect, but stop there? We don’t continue with wanting to schedule like they do? If we want to compete for championships we need to follow suit imo. Top teams generally don’t do what we do when scheduling. I also think winning more would bring the fans a lot more and hopefully CGC can get us packing out the stands regardless. I do agree it is fun watching the games against teams like Clemson (most years) but I’m think of the future of the whole season and the possibility of a better winning season. I’d take 9 wins with no Clemson over 8 wins with Clemson on the schedule.

BTW thanks for the good conversation, most get mad when disagreeing lol.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are getting at, but like I posted before, We want to do better in keeping up with the power houses in recruiting, funding, staff size ect, but stop there? We don’t continue with wanting to schedule like they do? If we want to compete for championships we need to follow suit imo. Top teams generally don’t do what we do when scheduling. I also think winning more would bring the fans a lot more and hopefully CGC can get us packing out the stands regardless. I do agree it is fun watching the games against teams like Clemson (most years) but I’m think of the future of the whole season and the possibility of a better winning season. I’d take 9 wins with no Clemson over 8 wins with Clemson on the schedule.

BTW thanks for the good conversation, most get mad when disagreeing lol.

Really it goes back to the media. Uga can schedule 3 ooc games that are terrible and then if they lose an sec game it's because the sec is just so damn good lol. We do need to fix the game before uga needs to be UMass or some other division 1AA school

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I love playing Clemson, but I also see how it hurts GT in the Coastal race. This year is a perfect example. There are several times in the last decade where we win the Coastal if someone else had to play Clemson and we got to play a weaker Atlantic team. I’d rather play Clemson in Charlotte.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Fabricated rival in my view. We NEVER played them my 5 years at Tech.

I guess you went to school when the rivalry took a break. GT has played Clemson 83 times. Most of the other ACC schools (including Coastal) have played GT around half that. I consider them to be a rival.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe Tech is tied with Fla State for most wins against Clemson over the last 11 years ( CPJs tenure). I think we are 5-7 ( one year we played them twice ) while State is 5-6 during that period. Everyone else has really struggled much more than us.

We shouldn’t bail simply b/c they are good, ultimately it makes us look better when we start beating them

crazy4GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we should play nine conference games rotating 3 from Atlantic every year. ND should go away unless they are willing to join as a full member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I believe Tech is tied with Fla State for most wins against Clemson over the last 11 years ( CPJs tenure). I think we are 5-7 ( one year we played them twice ) while State is 5-6 during that period. Everyone else has really struggled much more than us.

We shouldn’t bail simply b/c they are good, ultimately it makes us look better when we start beating them
It is not a matter of bailing....it is a matter of fair play across the board. Why should Tech, Cemp, UM, FSU, be stuck playing each other every year while VT plays Wake? Whoever the top team in the Atlantic is, we would have to play in the Championship anyway.
The goal is to win,
A) The coastal
B) The ACC
C) The NC.

Will rarely do any with one hand tied behind your back.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It is not a matter of bailing....it is a matter of fair play across the board. Why should Tech, Cemp, UM, FSU, be stuck playing each other every year while VT plays Wake? Whoever the top team in the Atlantic is, we would have to play in the Championship anyway.
The goal is to win,
A) The coastal
B) The ACC
C) The NC.

Will rarely do any with one hand tied behind your back.

Not saying it should t be rotated just don’t want to eliminate them from the schedule. Fact is that as long as Clemson is in the ACC we will play them later if not sooner, either way we aren’t in the name game until we beat them.

Animal02

Banned
Not saying it should t be rotated just don’t want to eliminate them from the schedule. Fact is that as long as Clemson is in the ACC we will play them later if not sooner, either way we aren’t in the name game until we beat them.
When the B10 first went to divisions, MSU and U of Mich were in opposite divisions, The cross division rotated, so the opted to play each other out of conference the other years IIRC.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
i hope I’m not having a loser’s mentality here , but I for one would like to quit playing Clemson every year. I know people are gonna day it’s cause I think we can’t beat them , but I think it’d just be nice to change things up some , I mean we’ve never played Syracuse , BC, Louisville very much over the years , why not mix it up?
Remove them from a scheduled game and we probably end up playing them every year in the championship ;)