Clemson prediction.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Assuming no turnovers and guessing 10 possessions each:
Clemson 42 (they scored 43 last year and their O is mostly back so they score on 6 of 10 possessions)
GT 28 (we scored 28 in 2014 (the 11th game of the year when we were hitting our stride) and 24 last year (some trash time). With most of their experience on their D gone but better athletes overall, they'll get used to our speed so I used 2014's 28 points)

For each turnover, take off 3.5 from the team that lost it. Atomic has it at 23-30 Clemson. As you can tell, I don't think the score is going to be that low but could be with enough turnovers.

I'm with @jwsavhGT , I predict chat is going to be lively.
Sooooo, all we have to do is win the TO battle 4-0 and this thing goes to OT. So let it be written, so let it be done.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Predicting any game is a folly. Your point? (kidding sort of since I've never been right and don't expect to start this weekend.)

If we play twice in the season, the advantage goes to the more physically talented team ........ but Clemson won't make the ACCCG. L'Ville is going to destroy Clemson IMHO. We have as good or better a chance to make the ACCCG as Clemson since we don't have 1) L'Ville, 2) Clemson or 3) FSU in our division.

I hope people realize that Clemson is #3 by Football Outsiders ( http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei ) and J Howell (http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2016.htm ). They are "miles" better than other teams we have played with "a lot of cats" as CPJ has said.

I hope you realize that you are the only person I know who thinks GT's D i that much worse than last year or CU is that much better on O--even though they didn't show it v Aubie and Troy.

Last year's CU team averaged less than 3ppdvpwr5, and you just predicted they'll score 4.2 vs us.

Smdh

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope people realize that Clemson is #3 by Football Outsiders ( http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei ) and J Howell (http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2016.htm ). They are "miles" better than other teams we have played with "a lot of cats" as CPJ has said.

Word to the wise, having lots of cats isn't as great as you initially think.

I mean sure, 1 isn't enough. and they are so small and sleep 22 hours a day that you definitely should get 2.

but then you cross that line of no return and let that adorable outdoor cat come inside and be your 3rd cat... and once you have 3, there's nothing stopping you from getting 1 more. . . and 1 more . . . and 1 more (continue runaway feedback loop).

If ever you find yourself with a lot of cats, you need to seek professional help immediately. You've already lost control of your life.

Ergo, GT's two-cat offense, featuring JeT and Qua > Clemson's multi-cat mid-life-crisis offense --> GT will definitely win.

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
scott-blair-clemson-game-winning-kick-300x241.jpg

Ramblin Wreck-31
Clempson- 28
......Butker summons the spirit of Scotty Blair and hits a 36 yarder to win circa 2009!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
16-14 GT. Butler kicks 3 field goals including the game winner with seconds left. He's due to win us a game after 2 big ones in 2014 and none last year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope you realize that you are the only person I know who thinks GT's D i that much worse than last year or CU is that much better on O--even though they didn't show it v Aubie and Troy.

Last year's CU team averaged less than 3ppdvpwr5, and you just predicted they'll score 4.2 vs us.

Smdh

Even if their O isn't as good and our D is better, which is what I think is marginally the case, they should be expected to score about 42 with no turnovers. We got beat a lot worse than the 24-43 score shows last year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400756948

Their O did what they wanted last year and could have scored a lot more. They played the second string in the 4th quarter. They gave up 2 fumbles and one int. And they still got 41 points on O (2 were a D safety). So our D can be better, and with no turnovers still give up 6 TDs. That's how big the gap was last year. Clemson leading 33-10 at the half. Note that if Clemson has 3 turnovers again, I'd put them at 30 points or so.

Our O scored 10 points when the game was in question and 3 were a gift. Our first FG was after a fumble recovery on the 20 and a 3 and out. In the third qtr, Gtotsis got a fumble and took in from 22 yards out. And we got a trash time TD in the 4th qtr with the score 43-17. Also we gave up a saftey in the first qtr.

This is why CPJ said at a presser this week that Clemson beat us a lot worse than the score indicated.

@Whiskey_Clear is right that to use last year's game is folly, but IIWII as past performance is what I use. There aren't enough games this year to really know. This year we had a close game with BC who stunk against VT. Clemson won a close one with Auburn, who also lost to #10 Texas A&M. We weren't in the same league last year with Clemson. We'll see tonight if we are. I expect a competitive game unlike last year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm predicting [UVA 1990] again. Clemson games are always close, with 3 pts being the most common margin of victory. I'm putting it on Butker's shoulders after JT drives at the end of the game to put us in position to win. Don't know if it'll be a high scoring game or a low scoring game, just that it'll be colse.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Word to the wise, having lots of cats isn't as great as you initially think.

I mean sure, 1 isn't enough. and they are so small and sleep 22 hours a day that you definitely should get 2.

but then you cross that line of no return and let that adorable outdoor cat come inside and be your 3rd cat... and once you have 3, there's nothing stopping you from getting 1 more. . . and 1 more . . . and 1 more (continue runaway feedback loop).

If ever you find yourself with a lot of cats, you need to seek professional help immediately. You've already lost control of your life.

Ergo, GT's two-cat offense, featuring JeT and Qua > Clemson's multi-cat mid-life-crisis offense --> GT will definitely win.

LOL, we have four now and have sworn any more off. 1 rescue and 3 ferals. Cats are great until you get more than one or maybe two. Personality conflicts go up exponentially with the number. Otherwise, I agree, seek professional help. Run, do not walk.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Even if their O isn't as good and our D is better, which is what I think is marginally the case, they should be expected to score about 42 with no turnovers. We got beat a lot worse than the 24-43 score shows last year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400756948

Their O did what they wanted last year and could have scored a lot more. They played the second string in the 4th quarter. They gave up 2 fumbles and one int. And they still got 41 points on O (2 were a D safety). So our D can be better, and with no turnovers still give up 6 TDs. That's how big the gap was last year. Clemson leading 33-10 at the half. Note that if Clemson has 3 turnovers again, I'd put them at 30 points or so.

Our O scored 10 points when the game was in question and 3 were a gift. Our first FG was after a fumble recovery on the 20 and a 3 and out. In the third qtr, Gtotsis got a fumble and took in from 22 yards out. And we got a trash time TD in the 4th qtr with the score 43-17. Also we gave up a saftey in the first qtr.

This is why CPJ said at a presser this week that Clemson beat us a lot worse than the score indicated.

@Whiskey_Clear is right that to use last year's game is folly, but IIWII as past performance is what I use. There aren't enough games this year to really know. This year we had a close game with BC who stunk against VT. Clemson won a close one with Auburn, who also lost to #10 Texas A&M. We weren't in the same league last year with Clemson. We'll see tonight if we are. I expect a competitive game unlike last year.

I was referring to your earlier post that said scoring 6 of 10 possessions. They had more than 10 possessions last year when they scored 41. You ignored my post's ref to ppd where I indicated a 10+ pt diff between your prediction and last year's game, given a ten drive game.

There's no doubt that their D has held our O in check the last couple years. We scored 31 in each of the three previous years.

You're right. We'll see.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish I had some sort of gauge to quantify the effect of the short week on each team. And specifically, this week on these two teams. It's easy to see that blown coverage on the 1st series or the fumbled snap on a FG; but no way to see good (or bad) preparation. The fruit of that labor will be exaggerated on a short week. It seems with such a small amount of time to prepare, it is quite possible one of the two teams could already have a significant advantage....before a single snap. I realize preparation occurs each week; but teams (coaches and players) are accustomed to preparing for a Saturday game...a minimum of one week of prep. These really short weeks are rare. ...and typically, a Thurs conference game follows a Sat bye if I'm not mistaken.

With a short week, the margin of error is much thinner. I'd like to think this works to our advantage...I believe our O creates too many problems (prep-wise) for an opponent. At least its more difficult for Clemson to prepare than for us to prepare. The wild card? Which team's 18-23 yr old athletes and coaching staffs optimize the limited preparation time. Again... I really want to believe Tech has a significant advantage here; but I wonder.

Short week (this week) prediction: GT 38 - CU 28

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish I had some sort of gauge to quantify the effect of the short week on each team. And specifically, this week on these two teams. It's easy to see that blown coverage on the 1st series or the fumbled snap on a FG; but no way to see good (or bad) preparation. The fruit of that labor will be exaggerated on a short week. It seems with such a small amount of time to prepare, it is quite possible one of the two teams could already have a significant advantage....before a single snap. I realize preparation occurs each week; but teams (coaches and players) are accustomed to preparing for a Saturday game...a minimum of one week of prep. These really short weeks are rare. ...and typically, a Thurs conference game follows a Sat bye if I'm not mistaken.

With a short week, the margin of error is much thinner. I'd like to think this works to our advantage...I believe our O creates too many problems (prep-wise) for an opponent. At least its more difficult for Clemson to prepare than for us to prepare. The wild card? Which team's 18-23 yr old athletes and coaching staffs optimize the limited preparation time. Again... I really want to believe Tech has a significant advantage here; but I wonder.

Short week (this week) prediction: GT 38 - CU 28

I fear Thursday night works against us, especially around midterms.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I say GT for the win...score be damned! I can't wait to be there tonight. I am going to stay and cheer no matter the flow of the game. When it's over, if the evil Tiggers won the field...I'll still cheer our guys!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If Watson stays healthy all night, I am afraid I have to prognosticate:

Clem's Son 41-21

I want to be wrong like nobody's business, but I don't think our D is better than it was 2 years ago, and he was killing us on the first drive before he got hurt. And, he is a much better player now than then. He single-handedly almost beat the crimson red devil last year. Again, hope I am wrong.....