Clemson prediction.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
In the tradition of the past we usually do predictions for Saturday games ON Thursday and Thursday games get predictions on Tuesday.
Is there another predictions thread? If so, please delete admin.
If I'm the first,
UP WITH THE WHITE AND GOLD!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My prediction, our crowd makes my "tech fans are awful" thread look ridiculous by making noise the whole time Clemson has the ball. Thus disrupting their communication of calls and audibles and helping to contribute to their on field errors.

Bring plenty of favored beverage folks and please try to encourage those around you to make this happen. I promise I will be hoarse for 3 days minimum after this game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IMO...

If the D doesn't step up, it may get ugly.
I know we are 3-0 but realistically (I know some of you wear gold glasses) the O's we have played haven't been that good.

No worries. When I read, "Brain," I did not infer that you meant "feelings" or "guts" but rather that you meant something thought out.

For example, here's what thinking it out might look like:
CU had 11 or 12 drives versus Auburn and 15 versus Troy, so they scored just under 2 pts/drive and 2pts/drive in those two games. Now, obviously that's under-performing where their offense probably is this year. Last year, they averaged 2.84 pts/drive against power 5 opponents. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that they're probably around 2.5 ppd vs pwr5 at this point (still just a guestimate without considering opposition)

We had 8 drives versus BC and 12 drives versus Vanderbilt for just over 2 pts/drive and 3.0 pts/drive.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that our game versus CU will be 11 or 12 drives, say 12 (there were 13 last year). With this in mind, then, to say that CU will score 49 against us is to say that they will average over 4 pts/drive. Last year, their offense scored 3.15 pts/drive against us. Our offense scored, 17 against them, 1.31 ppd. If we score 14 in a 12 drive game, then that would be 1.17 ppd.

In other words, assuming a 12 drive game, your "Brain" prediction has us performing worse against CU this year than we did last year on both offense and defense. If the game you had in mind had more than drives making our defense better against their O, it would make our O worse against their D.

I simply see no rational basis for that prediction. I don't think you have to wear gold-colored glasses to conclude we are playing better on offense, and probably also on defense, this year, even recognizing that Vandy and BC aren't great offenses. They were both really solid defenses last year. When you consider we pulled our starting offense after the 9th drive, we actually scored over 4pts/drive for the first 9 drives. I think we have a solid rational basis for believing our O is much improved over last year.

So, maybe you need to take off your red-colored glasses rather than accusing others of wearing gold-colored glasses.

Ramblin_Rick

Georgia Tech Fan
IMO this is the best time for us to play Clemson. Our confidence is on the rise, our injury count is low, no respect by the media, short week for Venables to prepare the defense, Louisville on their upcoming week.

If things align, we win 34-31 in a close one. Go Jackets!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it's hard to know where CU is. I don't think we can know anything from the SCarSt game beyond maybe it means that they're past early-season beating of themselves.

I also don't think our D has really been tested yet, so it's hard to know how good they are. It's also hard to know how far BC and Vandy may have fallen off on D to know where our O may be at. After his 1st year or so, Venables has fielded a pretty good D against us.

I think we've improved on both Off and Def but it's hard to know how much, and I just don't have a strong sense of where CU really is. I'm thinking that we're looking at a close game, maybe like their game vs ND last year. If we score more than 30 in a 12 drive game, we're doing better than we have against them.

GT wins 30 - 28.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Head : 38 - 27 CU wins :(

Heart : GT wins regardless of the points Clemson scores, i.e. If Clemson points scored = "A" then GT scores at least "A"+1.

... hope my head is wrong.