Clemson Postgame

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
not sure if it was mentioned or not but wasnt sewak on the hotspot a spring ago? is that an area of concern?

He was, but the line played well last year. And with all those guys with all those starts under their belts, they should be better this year. By this time, they should have seen every front and can make these calls and adjustments in their sleep. That's not to say they don't need coaching, but they bear a lot of the line's failings, even though for the most part the line hasn't been that bad. They got whipped up on pretty good by Clemson, maybe more than anyone else, including ND.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not really that true. Problem is, PJ has enough problems on offense to fix right now he can't devote any time to the defense. He may not get involved to a great extent on Saturdays, but he is Sunday-Friday. He knows the shortcomings on defense and I'm sure he's communicated his thoughts to CTR.

dude doesn't touch the D. Now, he many input, but film room, gameplan etc...its all created by that staff and he listens in and inputs as needed. But he does not meddle with it at all during the week. I am not sure how much time you have spent at practice or around the program. But in the dozens of times on the sidelines i never once saw him walk over to the D one moment and do one thing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
1998? Noob.

dude...you do realize, 1998 was 17 years ago. And if a kid started following GT then, lets say at the age 6, that would make him 23 at the youngest, an age where he graduated from GT now. A noob maybe.....but we are getting old :)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
To CPJ's credit today, he pretty much admitted it's all on him.

"“We look like we’re a poorly coached team, and that starts with me....I’ve never experienced anything like that in my coaching career, to be this inept on offense. … It’s one thing to be physically dominated; it’s another not to give yourself a chance. We can’t count on the offense. We can’t count on the defense. We can’t count on special teams."

At least he admits they suck and it starts with coaching. Because that is nothing different than all of us are saying.

I like Paul. I hope he does well. But he has laid an egg this year. Get off the golf cart paul...please...your program will never be on auto. (tongue in cheek i know the golf cart isn't the issue,. I am just relaying to potential lack of focus around the whole program)

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The offense did not score more points on Clem. We had a fumble td on defense.

I hope no one should every repeat that point. Our o is terrible right now.
Exactly. Also when our O goes 3 and out constantly it gives the Clemson offense more opportunities to score and so forth. When we score 24 points or so on 15 possessions... that's not very good. No I didn't look that up.. just an average guess.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point, I would simplify everything and tell the team to go out there and have fun...there is nothing to lose at this point IMO. Everyone looks so unenthusiased and disinterested. Know this is simple advice, but I other than other things I have posted, I am not sure what else can be done.
This exactly. Possibly the best advice I have read anywhere.

Unenthused and disinterested can come from being overwhelmed. Simplify. Give them, at least those who have been thrown in before they were ready, something they can do well, feel good about, and have fun with. Rebuild confidence by building up small satisfactions, one at a time. It'll happen quicker than you might think.

Last edited:

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The offense is young, and I have faith in them. I don't have faith in Roof, but hopefully we just start bringing 6 or more on every play and can create some turnovers. I still think we get to 6-6 or 7-5. Go Jackets!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The offense did not score more points on Clem. We had a fumble td on defense.

I hope no one should every repeat that point. Our o is terrible right now.

Fair enough, but don't fall over patting yourself on the back with that distinction while missing the point. Clemson's D is really good. Going into the 4th qtr, ND had only scored 3 points on them. We scored 17 on offense and they ended up scoring 22. Not a world of difference there. The big difference was that ND's defense made 22 points almost enough to win, while our 24 were a blow out.

Yes, our offense has been bad and is largely to blame, but it is not quite the monstrosity some are making it out to be (especially considering the injuries and true freshman/walkons we are playing). With just better special teams, we have scored enough points we should probably be 4-2. To be fair, ND and Clemson are just better. Duke and UNC are not, and our offense was only partially to blame there, and probably not even the biggest part.

If it doesn't get better, we will lose to Pitt. I am just keeping hope that some of these young guys will start to get it and turn things around.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This exactly. Possibly the best advice I have read anywhere.

Unenthused and disinterested can come from being overwhelmed. Simplify. Give them, at least those who have been thrown in before they were ready, something they can do well, feel good about, and have fun with. Rebuild confidence by building up small satisfactions, one at a time. It'll happen quicker than you might think.

At this point, I see no reason to not start MM.

To not play more, if not start, guys like Andrew Marshall, Klock, AJ Gray should start.

We are losing anyway. MM gives you explosiveness no one else does. Even if he doesn't know the O...we already are crap and so inept; it can't get worse. But at least he learns and will give a big play now and then.

I just see no reason to not make it a youth movement and prepare for next year. This season is TOAST.

And based on the performance of our seniors...they haven't earned to right to continue to play IMO. On top of being silent leaders.

I don't want to pile on. But if we Vine'd the OL blocking on some plays its astonishing. On one pass, I literally watched a certain OL block by turning inside and just touching the DT with his hand, the DT was like ok, just ran past him and hit JT. It was a joke. A total joke. It was clearly the scheme, and clearly a player or two simply not on the same page. That goes back to the coaches.

Declinometer

Banned
At this point, I see no reason to not start MM.

To not play more, if not start, guys like Andrew Marshall, Klock, AJ Gray should start.

We are losing anyway. MM gives you explosiveness no one else does. Even if he doesn't know the O...we already are crap and so inept; it can't get worse. But at least he learns and will give a big play now and then.

I just see no reason to not make it a youth movement and prepare for next year. This season is TOAST.

And based on the performance of our seniors...they haven't earned to right to continue to play IMO. On top of being silent leaders.

I don't want to pile on. But if we Vine'd the OL blocking on some plays its astonishing. On one pass, I literally watched a certain OL block by turning inside and just touching the DT with his hand, the DT was like ok, just ran past him and hit JT. It was a joke. A total joke. It was clearly the scheme, and clearly a player or two simply not on the same page. That goes back to the coaches.
I liked your post. Just want to say that certain lineman was TB

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i have also noticed that some of our backs cut to the wrong side of a block. if the guy who is blocking is not engaged why try to run around the d man from that side. its almost as if ... they are going to make that play work regardless of how the block turned out.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
You don't recall correctly. Groh was fired after 21/2 yrs without improvement and an unwillingness to move to 1gap as requested by HC.

Our performance was and has been embarrassing, but let's not be stupid.
He does recall correctly. I well remember PJ talking about Groh and how smart he was but his system for college was too complicated for kids to learn because of classes, study time, and particularly lab time for us. Better to simplify and have the guys playing more and thinking less.