Clemson Postgame

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are no excuses, but there is reality. The Abacks, WR, and BB are new and have 1 fall practice to learn. There are a large amount of injuries on a young team which magnifies the issue. The OL I cannot figure out other than possible missing confidence? CPJ said they are trying to hard.

CPJ has given Tech a 10 win, a 9 win, and a 11 win season with some medium season in between. It is hard for me to deal with purely emotional people that fail to see the reality of a rebuilding season and a coach that has given us some good to great years of football despite the requirements of GT.

Tell you the truth this could have happened last year. The O had a hard time in 2014, the D scored points in 2014 and Clemson had a good QB versus a backup.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has taken a lot of the blame and said many times over the last few weeks that the coaches need to do better.

Listen, our offense has been unbelievably awful this year by CPJ standards. That said, we still put up more points on Clemson today than they have allowed to anyone all season, as we did to UNC and as we did to Duke. At some point our defense and special teams needs to help out too. CPJ is ultimately responsible for all of that, but let's just not jump to put all the blame on the offense like so many like to do. That said, it has been bad and desperately needs to improve if we are going to have any shot at a bowl.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We just are not a good team this year. That are a lot of factors at play but the bottom line is we just have not been able to play well enough to win in the last 4 games. We have 6 games left and can still finish 8 and 4 or we might finish 2 and 10 if the players don't start executing the plays and handling their fundamental assignments. Paul Johnson has not forgot how to Coach since last year. He is the captain of the ship and it is on him to do his best to get these problems fixed, but in the end he can not go out their and run plays or make tackles. It looks llike we are being served a big old do do sandwich this year.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope today's game is kind of like the alcoholic hitting rock bottom. It is hard to imagine anything getting worse. I haven't watched the replay, but I can only imagine how tough that is going to be tomorrow. The only way some of that kind of stuff can happen over and over is by having people beaten badly. Sadly, at first viewing, it looked like men playing against boys.

I am most concerned about our body language out there. It sure looks like the kids are not bought in or they don't understand. The lack of energy is alarming, right from the get go. I cannot imagine being unable to get up for this game.

It is time to bring everything into question IMHO. We need to question how we are structuring practices. Are we protecting people too much during the week because of the injuries we have faced? We sure do play soft like that may be the case. We need to question who is starting and what positions they are in. We have guys out there who have proven they can do it in the past but are not doing it now. Each player needs to question how much he is committing to this effort emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. We need to go back to basics and strip this thing down to the ABC's. Whatever the message has been, or how it has been communicated, it isn't getting through. There is no magic pill. We are only going to be able to WORK our way out of this funk. It is the only way. It is going to take more effort on everybody's part to make it happen.

Right now, the bitter truth is that we have gone from one of the toughest, most hard nosed, resilient, and relentless teams in the land to one of the softest in the span of a single off season. There is no chemistry and there is no trust. It doesn't have to stay this way, but this is who we are right now.

Personally, I think this thing CAN get turned around. I have seen it happen before many times. It is about character and whether we really have it or not. There is no shame in losing to a team like Clemson, but there is a ton of shame in losing the way we did. Every person involved with the program, who considers himself a leader, should be taking a good long look in the mirror right about now. You can always tell more about people when things aren't going well, then when they are. I am real interested to see where this thing goes from here.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a whole lot of differences between this team and last year's team, but the coaches are essentially the same and even have one more year of experience. From my perspective, we got caught in a perfect storm this year. A really tough schedule, raw freshmen trying to replace a number of key seniors, lots of injuries...you all know the list better than me.

Give us a few years for our coaches to build skill, muscle, quickness, confidence, and experience in all those young pups and we will be OK again. This year, well, sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the tree.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
There are no excuses, but there is reality. The Abacks, WR, and BB are new and have 1 fall practice to learn. There are a large amount of injuries on a young team which magnifies the issue. The OL I cannot figure out other than possible missing confidence? CPJ said they are trying to hard.

CPJ has given Tech a 10 win, a 9 win, and a 11 win season with some medium season in between. It is hard for me to deal with purely emotional people that fail to see the reality of a rebuilding season and a coach that has given us some good to great years of football despite the requirements of GT.

Tell you the truth this could have happened last year. The O had a hard time in 2014, the D scored points in 2014 and Clemson had a good QB versus a backup.

Longest, I don't have a problem with the O looking horrid. Well not quite, mainly because we are not even able to line up right. But I'm willing to give all of that a pass, because of injuries and attrition. What I cannot accept is the trend of bad defenses an ST year after year in CPJ's tenure.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched the replay, but I can only imagine how tough that is going to be tomorrow.
Film review is to understand why effort is not producing results. So I'm not sure there is any reason to review the film.

Our confidence is completely shattered. As much as I love CPJ as a field general, his strong suit is not building up the psyche and confidence of our team. That is why they are giving up. Coach is being even more demanding but they have no idea how to get from where they are to where coach wants them to be.

CPJ better figure this out quick or every game we have left is going to look just like today's.

And another thing: when we punt from the Clemson 37 yard line on 4th and 3 down by 3 TD, the team then understands that the coaches have given up. Pretty obvious what happens next.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The fall off from last year has been crazy. I expected some fall off on O, but I have never seen us have this much trouble executing the plays correctly, or getting the correct one called.

Boomer did point out something I had not really thought of. We really are pretty soft. I have no idea where that comes from. Our O line went up against a better Clemson line last year. It was virtually a stale mate. This year we appear to get pushed around.

I really wonder how we can practice all week, and not know how to run a trap play on Saturday. What the heck are we doing all week?

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't get the quote because I'm on my phone. But we have to stop saying that "TECH scored the most points on Notre Dame, Clemson, and Duke"

This isn't a good team that just isn't getting the breaks. This is a bad team. It's almost as of wit last year's success and the two cupcakes to open the season that the expectation was it would be easy.

I listened to this game on the radio, and say what you will about the defense, but I could at least listen to the game when they were on the field. Effort seemed to be there. On O, we were averaging 3rd and 11. Which means 1st and 2nd down were actually negative.

I fully expected Clemson to win but I can't remember a recent game where we just that uncompetitive. Inexperience and injures are hurting, but a young team should be improving. The alternative is a lack of talent or coaching that is indicative of bigger issues.

What I hope to hear this week is that we'll have a reason to go cheer the brave and bold next weekend against Pitt. Right now, I wouldn't favor Tech in any remaining game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Still boggles my mind how we can look worse this year, with an All ACC QB, a very seasoned OL...then we did in 2008. I mean, 2008 was literally the first year we ran this offense, so everyone was learning on the job. There are enough guys on the team this year with enough experience that we should not look like we have no clue how to run this offense.

I think the world of Shaq Mason, but his loss should not signal the collapse of an entire OL, when the guy replacing him is twice as physically gifted and actually playing well for a first year starter.

I get that our ABs are injured, and they're young, and our WRs are young. But they are no worse than a redshirt Roddy Jones and Embry Peebles, a true freshmen Marcus Wright...and all the other ABs I can't even remember right now. Yes we had BayBay, but he wasn't really "BayBay" until later in the season and 2009. On the other side was Tyler Melton.

Everyone wants to blame JeT, but the guy is literally running for his life on almost every play...I mean, he can't even make his reads because defenders are on him at the snap. This is exactly what I saw in 2013 with Vad running for his dear life on almost every snap.

Let's not even start with the defense...holy crap...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope today's game is kind of like the alcoholic hitting rock bottom. It is hard to imagine anything getting worse. I haven't watched the replay, but I can only imagine how tough that is going to be tomorrow. The only way some of that kind of stuff can happen over and over is by having people beaten badly. Sadly, at first viewing, it looked like men playing against boys.

I am most concerned about our body language out there. It sure looks like the kids are not bought in or they don't understand. The lack of energy is alarming, right from the get go. I cannot imagine being unable to get up for this game.

It is time to bring everything into question IMHO. We need to question how we are structuring practices. Are we protecting people too much during the week because of the injuries we have faced? We sure do play soft like that may be the case. We need to question who is starting and what positions they are in. We have guys out there who have proven they can do it in the past but are not doing it now. Each player needs to question how much he is committing to this effort emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. We need to go back to basics and strip this thing down to the ABC's. Whatever the message has been, or how it has been communicated, it isn't getting through. There is no magic pill. We are only going to be able to WORK our way out of this funk. It is the only way. It is going to take more effort on everybody's part to make it happen.

Right now, the bitter truth is that we have gone from one of the toughest, most hard nosed, resilient, and relentless teams in the land to one of the softest in the span of a single off season. There is no chemistry and there is no trust. It doesn't have to stay this way, but this is who we are right now.

Personally, I think this thing CAN get turned around. I have seen it happen before many times. It is about character and whether we really have it or not. There is no shame in losing to a team like Clemson, but there is a ton of shame in losing the way we did. Every person involved with the program, who considers himself a leader, should be taking a good long look in the mirror right about now. You can always tell more about people when things aren't going well, then when they are. I am real interested to see where this thing goes from here.
Maybe it is the players as you allude
1-alcoholic/Rock bottom, 2. really do lack talent, 3. Lack of energy/ not up,4 whose a leader.. Winning and some big plays will help here.
Structurally
Would be interested in your take on the efficacy of the play calling methods. I wonder if OC coach - who makes the final call on the play and blocking can clearly see the precise location and movement of all the defenders. At what point in loosing does this come into question? I don't know if there is someone calling the plays from the booth - but coach took credit last year. My home seats are right behind bench and I am amazed at how little I can see across the field.

During game - Is the head coach supposed to be listening in on the defensive calls and contributing to that effort. Sure seems like we are too busy calling plays, coaching up players who make mistakes, rallying the ol etc. I will never forget how furious I was when "MTSU scores again" - they had the defensive signals and head coach can't be bothered cause he is calling the plays. This has gotton much better but in tight games I think we need coach in the whole game. Perhaps add an OC?

The last 4 games the defense leaves the backside un covered or our WR with single coverage - shouldn't we concentrate on challenging this verses Doing the inside out series of plays.

Thanks for all you do and enjoy the film study. I think we were outclassed totally at the point of attack and did not do enough to throw them off.

Love me some jackets.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To CPJ's credit today, he pretty much admitted it's all on him.

"“We look like we’re a poorly coached team, and that starts with me....I’ve never experienced anything like that in my coaching career, to be this inept on offense. … It’s one thing to be physically dominated; it’s another not to give yourself a chance. We can’t count on the offense. We can’t count on the defense. We can’t count on special teams."

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I would simplify everything and tell the team to go out there and have fun...there is nothing to lose at this point IMO. Everyone looks so unenthusiased and disinterested. Know this is simple advice, but I other than other things I have posted, I am not sure what else can be done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To CPJ's credit today, he pretty much admitted it's all on him.

"“We look like we’re a poorly coached team, and that starts with me....I’ve never experienced anything like that in my coaching career, to be this inept on offense. … It’s one thing to be physically dominated; it’s another not to give yourself a chance. We can’t count on the offense. We can’t count on the defense. We can’t count on special teams."
It's all on him, excuse me he said it's all on whoever can't count?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck

2 eleven win seasons, lets not even dignify the ncaa. I agree he has earned the benefit of the doubt.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I just want to know if they will fix special teams. 3 games now we have had a horrible pass to the punter

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Paul doesnt touch the d.

Not really that true. Problem is, PJ has enough problems on offense to fix right now he can't devote any time to the defense. He may not get involved to a great extent on Saturdays, but he is Sunday-Friday. He knows the shortcomings on defense and I'm sure he's communicated his thoughts to CTR.