Clemson Postgame

Milwaukee

Banned
Did Griffin get any other touches besides the fumble? Looked like a miscommunication on the give that TO should’ve kept outside. He didn’t have much of a chance outside either but beating them to the edge was the only shot on that play. Didn’t like the call vs the box.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Did Griffin get any other touches besides the fumble? Looked like a miscommunication on the give that TO should’ve kept outside. He didn’t have much of a chance outside either but beating them to the edge was the only shot on that play. Didn’t like the call vs the box.

Box score shows 2 carries for a yard.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow

Box score has Griffin with 2 carries for 1 total yard with a long of 5. I think he had a carry a play or two before the fumble.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm encouraged, with a bit of a caveat.

First of all, I think our D did really well to start the game. I'm really disappointed that we gave up those two turnovers in the redzone in the first quarter. What's worse, neither of them was forced by CU.

Secondly, I liked the plan to focus on running the QB in the first half. Tobias had played significant snaps in a hostile stadium and was best prepared to keep his cool. He even moved the ball pretty well at first.

However, it didn't look like we made any adjustments when they put 9 in the box. I also have no idea why we ran a true freshman in the first half when the game was still theoretically in reach. The TD was the only play that jumped out at me as having a pitch option.

The second half was concerning only to the extent that I was hoping that we'd be able to perform better against their 2nd and third string.

Still, on the whole I'm encouraged, especially by our D. I have some concerns about coordination of the offense, especially the running game, but I suspect that our opponent may have been the biggest factor.

Go Jackets!
Well said - we saw the same game.

I hated to see the manly option go but several years ago I realized we can't run thru these guys. The toll the option blocking takes on our players is large. Working on a list that I started during the attrition discussion.

To be able to be meaningful with Clemson I concluded we need a team that is credible in all aspects (recruiting , fan support, coaching, defense, offense , special teams ) and has a good qb and an good WR. Be credible in all phases and we can attract a very very a good Qb and maybe we start acstr this streak.

I want to be clear - I do not support railroading players off the team to churn the roster for quick gain. As you made me realize, if we quickly start winning we could get a number of high star players self recruiting which would make railroading tempting.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody have me on ignore, officially?

If so, should I be proud or ashamed?
Dude, you don’t know the half of it. We have entire threads that are invisible to you, thanks to the “Hide This Thread From kg01” button, in the options at the bottom of the thread creation page.

So in a sense, the whole board has a reverse-ignore feature, just for you...

Be proud. You’re special.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Dude, you don’t know the half of it. We have entire threads that are invisible to you, thanks to the “Hide This Thread From kg01” button, in the options at the bottom of the thread creation page.

There are a few threads which I wish used an option like that against me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Gary, is he ... serious?

Gary-Coleman-wtf.gif

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
We learned:
That there should not be shotgun in the red zone, 3rd and two, or fourth and one.
No pass rush, still.
Pass pro blocking still needs a lot of work
DL getting push around, no surprise.
Inside LB play still not where we need it to be.
Still cannot run back kickoffs from the goal line
On the good side:
Good effort, no quit
Mason ran really well
Graham looked better than I expected
Passing skills somewhat disappointing but some hope
Our QBs are running weapons but too much of it looks too much like the last two years
Noted improvement in the secondary
Kicking overall is a plus
Still scary on KO coverage but no disasters.
Clemson has some terrific athletes

The one on this list that drives me crazy is the shotgun handoff on 3rd /4th and goal.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely loved what I saw from the defense. Sure, they can improve. But tackling is way better than last year already. DBs made some great plays. Number of points given up doesn't bother me too much because our offense wasn't doing anything. Hard to not give up points if you keep giving the other team the ball back via turnovers or 3 and outs.

I think the offense will get better. I hoped to see more passing but I'm not gonna throw p node under the bus after one game.
You loved giving up 400 yards rushing? Clemson could’ve beat us without throwing a pass easy.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll dub this post "An optimist's view of the 1st half":

Ok, we all know how the game started. With a friggin 3 and out. The defending national champions had all preseason to prepare for us with their presumptive Heisman winning QB and we shut. them. down. out of the gate.

giphy.gif

That looked really good for a 1st snap of the new season. SWARMING the ball.

Then we know what happened. Punt was muffed, they scored, we got the ball and were sacked some and put into 3rd and 21.

And we ran it with Oliver. On 3rd and 21. That's a choice I do not like. If our coach is going to talk about the brand of a football team and also talk about how we're going to be a spread option team that throws the ball then I feel like you gotta throw the ball. The biggest influence of brand is what's put on the field and running on 3rd and 21 makes the "brand" look like you're scared to throw it.

But anyways...the game continues. We punt, they fumble, we recover, we get sacked and punt to put them deep in their own territory and then they bust loose a 90+ yard ETN run. 0-14

Let's remember this play for a second as a great reminder as to why Tobias Oliver played so much last year and is why he was named the starter for this game. He can play.

giphy.gif

That's a badass run.
But that drive didn't go anywhere unfortunately. We give it back to Clemson and what happens? THEY DON'T SCORE. We get the ball back AND...fumble.
Give them a short field again and they score. 0-21

We get the ball back and don't do much but here's another cool run by TO.
giphy.gif

That drive was ended by a 3rd&1 and then a 4th&1. Neither of which was converted.
We give the ball back to Clemson and then we intercept their presumptive Heisman winning QB and return it to the 3. Beautiful play by Swilling

And we can't punch it in. That was very disappointing. The 4th&Goal play was there.
tqenX5v.png

It was wide open and TO just needed to float it more. Instead it got batted and intercepted.

They score on a bomb to Higgins. 0-28.
We can't move it, they can't move it. That continues and we intercept them again to end the half.

That's not how you want a half to go but all things considered I see good things on this team. 2 of the TD's were gifted with extremely short fields and the other 2 are incredible plays by 2 players that may be the best in their position in the country. Take away 1 of the TD's with short fields and then GT converts on 1 of the 4 downs at the goal line and it's a 21-7 game going into half. Likely still a loss but a very different feeling than 28-0.

I look forward to seeing what we can do against USF. Hopefully more stuff like this...

giphy.gif

And if we can do that against Clemson then we can definitely do that against USF. Temple. The Coastal. Etc.

Attachments

• TO TD Possibility.png
    TO TD Possibility.png
    498.5 KB · Views: 58

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i just saw the comment about that muffed punt. it should have been flagged and it would have been had tre leaned to his left a tad instead of flinching away from the contact. non the less it was still interference

that was a major turning point in this game imo. not that we would have won but it could have been a far more competitive game than it was.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
i just saw the comment about that muffed punt. it should have been flagged and it would have been had tre leaned to his left a tad instead of flinching away from the contact. non the less it was still interference

that was a major turning point in this game imo. not that we would have won but it could have been a far more competitive game than it was.

I didn't realize the rule was 1 yard. Definitely interference then. He was about 3 inches from making contact with Juanyeh (not Tre). I agree if he had leaned into the punt to receive it there would have been obvious contact/interference, but when your peripheral vision suddenly spots something moving at high speed inches from you, your instinct is definitely not to put yourself right in its way. Just bad luck and bad call by the refs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I didn't realize the rule was 1 yard. Definitely interference then. He was about 3 inches from making contact with Juanyeh (not Tre). I agree if he had leaned into the punt to receive it there would have been obvious contact/interference, but when your peripheral vision suddenly spots something moving at high speed inches from you, your instinct is definitely not to put yourself right in its way. Just bad luck and bad call by the refs.
From what I can gather on the internets, the NCAA did away with the halo rule a while back.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Finally got around to watching at least the first half. I don't believe we looked that bad overall. Need to clean up a few mistakes and learn some short yardage plays. Thought Oliver and Mason looked pretty good. That first half should've been at around a 14-7 Clemson lead at worst. Somehow it was much worse.