Fixed it for you ;)

Let's keep some perspective:
10/6/2018 Clemson at Wake Forest W 63–3
10/20/2018 Clemson vs No. 16 NC State W 41–7
10/27/2018 Clemson at Florida State W 59–10
11/3/2018 Clemson vs Louisville W 77–16
12/9/2018 Clemson vs. No. 3 Notre Dame* W 30–3
1/7/2019 Clemson vs. No. 1 Alabama* W 44–16

Yeah. We won’t know much one way or the other about our team until this weekend. Clemson as your first game in a new system with a new coach pretty much tells us nothing about our team except “we aren’t Clemson” which we already knew that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
View attachment 6580

Not the best angle, but given the locations of their feet relative to the hashmarks, I'm convinced that should have been a flag. The Clemson player's left arm is within inches of the receiver when he passes by.
You gotta wonder what the officials are actually looking at sometimes. On this play the one ref is staring directly at the infraction. Maybe it was early in the game & he was still thinking about his day job?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You gotta wonder what the officials are actually looking at sometimes. On this play the one ref is staring directly at the infraction. Maybe it was early in the game & he was still thinking about his day job?

He was thinking about how much money he put on the spread for Clemson.

I kid, I kid.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'll dub this post "An optimist's view of the 1st half":

Ok, we all know how the game started. With a friggin 3 and out. The defending national champions had all preseason to prepare for us with their presumptive Heisman winning QB and we shut. them. down. out of the gate.

giphy.gif

That looked really good for a 1st snap of the new season. SWARMING the ball.

Then we know what happened. Punt was muffed, they scored, we got the ball and were sacked some and put into 3rd and 21.

And we ran it with Oliver. On 3rd and 21. That's a choice I do not like. If our coach is going to talk about the brand of a football team and also talk about how we're going to be a spread option team that throws the ball then I feel like you gotta throw the ball. The biggest influence of brand is what's put on the field and running on 3rd and 21 makes the "brand" look like you're scared to throw it.

But anyways...the game continues. We punt, they fumble, we recover, we get sacked and punt to put them deep in their own territory and then they bust loose a 90+ yard ETN run. 0-14

Let's remember this play for a second as a great reminder as to why Tobias Oliver played so much last year and is why he was named the starter for this game. He can play.

giphy.gif

That's a badass run.
But that drive didn't go anywhere unfortunately. We give it back to Clemson and what happens? THEY DON'T SCORE. We get the ball back AND...fumble.
Give them a short field again and they score. 0-21

We get the ball back and don't do much but here's another cool run by TO.
giphy.gif

That drive was ended by a 3rd&1 and then a 4th&1. Neither of which was converted.
We give the ball back to Clemson and then we intercept their presumptive Heisman winning QB and return it to the 3. Beautiful play by Swilling

And we can't punch it in. That was very disappointing. The 4th&Goal play was there.
tqenX5v.png

It was wide open and TO just needed to float it more. Instead it got batted and intercepted.

They score on a bomb to Higgins. 0-28.
We can't move it, they can't move it. That continues and we intercept them again to end the half.

That's not how you want a half to go but all things considered I see good things on this team. 2 of the TD's were gifted with extremely short fields and the other 2 are incredible plays by 2 players that may be the best in their position in the country. Take away 1 of the TD's with short fields and then GT converts on 1 of the 4 downs at the goal line and it's a 21-7 game going into half. Likely still a loss but a very different feeling than 28-0.

I look forward to seeing what we can do against USF. Hopefully more stuff like this...

giphy.gif

And if we can do that against Clemson then we can definitely do that against USF. Temple. The Coastal. Etc.

Great points and examples of what we can do. Always easily forgotten after a L.

That wheel route call was a beautiful call by Pnude. Against a lot of teams it goes for a TD.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 6580

Not the best angle, but given the locations of their feet relative to the hashmarks, I'm convinced that should have been a flag. The Clemson player's left arm is within inches of the receiver when he passes by.

Width of receiver shoulder one yard in front. Juanyeh left foot is on the vertical inside hash line. Clemson player left foot is well inside the inside hash mark. Ergo, the clemson player is not only inside of juanyeh and not square with his body, he isn’t in front of him at all. He is a foot left of juanyeh and therefore also doesnt violate the width of shoulder one yard rule. This is all camera angle voodoo

Furthermore to be honest. Had 1 Yeah let the ball 1 bounce it probably hits the clemson player on 1 hop and the play is dead. U see you don’t need to field a punt. Therefore there should never be any turnovers on punts.

Good no call imo.
Bad player decision in his first live ball punt return. Live and learn

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The loss to Clemp was bad but it barely registered nationally. People expected the flogging and dare I say it we maybe were slightly on the positive upside even though the results were not good. The next 3 will be telling. Play well and we got a solid launch point.

Again the only negative was many, myself included, expected something different than an option offense. It may be we played what was best for Clemp & just need time to evolve, but our advertising pre-game was to expect something different. We solidly got that on defense. Offense was frustrating & not because we did poorly against a talented team, but that we did poorly with a scheme that we thought we had left in the rear view mirror.

Now Clemp is in the rear view mirror. We turn a page against USF and the Clemp game will be completely forgotten.
Well said, though I liked and still like the option but it has to be well run and yes, we were prompted to expect "something" else with a generically titled "pro style" offense meaning more passing. But what we saw was what we had: QBs who can run the ball, so there we were. Maybe Graham is the guy going forward, but the position needs to be settled. I don't know whether Collins is the guy or not, but I want wins. (And it is kind of jarring after 10 years to hear something encouraging about the defense. Our defense? Goodness.)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Well said, though I liked and still like the option but it has to be well run and yes, we were prompted to expect "something" else with a generically titled "pro style" offense meaning more passing. But what we saw was what we had: QBs who can run the ball, so there we were. Maybe Graham is the guy going forward, but the position needs to be settled. I don't know whether Collins is the guy or not, but I want wins. (And it is kind of jarring after 10 years to hear something encouraging about the defense. Our defense? Goodness.)

We should win the next 3. I'm not sure where this 3 wins crap is coming from. 5 should be the floor. It's not like this roster didn't win 7 with almost the exact schedule last year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We should win the next 3. I'm not sure where this 3 wins crap is coming from. 5 should be the floor. It's not like this roster didn't win 7 with almost the exact schedule last year.

There are literally 6 games we can win or lose. If we snag two; yeah 5 wins. I was guessing around there for the season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Huh? We return one of the lowest amounts of production in the country, and are completely switching offensive systems to one where a good number of our players aren't a good fit for. In terms of schedule, we're replacing UL, one of the worst ACC teams in a while, with NCSU who won 9 games last year, and UNC almost certainly won't be the auto win that they were last year. So it's not really this roster nor is it almost the exact same schedule. We have likely weaknesses along both lines and an unresolved, to be nice, situation at QB. The schedule difference alone probably accounts for one lost win from last year, and even if we were still running the option we'd likely take a step back with the lost production and experience.

There are paths to 5+ wins but saying 5 should be the floor is just to ignore the issues surrounding the team this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 6580

Anyway J Thomas let the Clemson player distract him. It is a learning experience and something he can be aware of and work on. Too bad it was such a big play in the game.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh? We return one of the lowest amounts of production in the country, and are completely switching offensive systems to one where a good number of our players aren't a good fit for. In terms of schedule, we're replacing UL, one of the worst ACC teams in a while, with NCSU who won 9 games last year, and UNC almost certainly won't be the auto win that they were last year. So it's not really this roster nor is it almost the exact same schedule. We have likely weaknesses along both lines and an unresolved, to be nice, situation at QB. The schedule difference alone probably accounts for one lost win from last year, and even if we were still running the option we'd likely take a step back with the lost production and experience.

There are paths to 5+ wins but saying 5 should be the floor is just to ignore the issues surrounding the team this year.

5 is 2 less than last year. Schedule isn't that different. This staff should be able to pull out 5 wins - anything less is a disappointment, anything more is a bonus. 3 wins is not a very good coaching job. Either way (3 or 5/6 wins) no matter the results this year not sure it says much about the staff in a negative way.

Animal02

Banned
5 is 2 less than last year. Schedule isn't that different. This staff should be able to pull out 5 wins - anything less is a disappointment, anything more is a bonus. 3 wins is not a very good coaching job. Either way (3 or 5/6 wins) no matter the results this year not sure it says much about the staff in a negative way.
Finishing below .500 is on coaching.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Nice low bar setting. That way CGC is a genius if he pulls off 6 wins.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
There are literally 6 games we can win or lose. If we snag two; yeah 5 wins. I was guessing around there for the season.
There are 11 remaining games on the schedule. Realistically UGA is out of reach. The coastal games we should have a punchers chance or a push in all of them. NCSU may be out of reach. USF and Temple are beatable along with the other gimme. Don't understand all this talk about how much better the rest of the coastal is. Really?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are 11 remaining games on the schedule. Realistically UGA is out of reach. The coastal games we should have a punchers chance or a push in all of them. NCSU may be out of reach. USF and Temple are beatable along with the other gimme. Don't understand all this talk about how much better the rest of the coastal is. Really?
I think we can beat NCST. Everyone is within reach, with uga being our biggest test.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

There are maybe 5 games we won't be underdogs in and 4 of those would be more or less tossups. We have a weakness at DL and LB, and big question marks at pretty much every position on offense except RB. Coaching can only do so much, and there's a real chance that we have too many square pieces for round holes to make it work.