Clemson Post-game Thread

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
If you're fine with losing by 66 points then you have absolutely no pride or expectations for this program! I could see losing 49-7, Clemson is Clemson and we're in a transition but even Joe Hamilton said on the radio today that he's embarassed
49-7, 73-7.......what’s the difference. Still an *** whooping.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm still under the thought that Clemson needs to move out of the ACC. Yeah clemson in the NC makes the acc look good, but clemson really has zero competition in the acc. The SEC as an example has a few schools that can at least compete at Alabamas level. Just looking at the ACC as a whole, most schools are competitive against the rest of the ACc and we will be , but most schools will not be at Clemson's level. And really how is it fun to just steamroll every team you play .

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm still under the thought that Clemson needs to move out of the ACC. Yeah clemson in the NC makes the acc look good, but clemson really has zero competition in the acc. The SEC as an example has a few schools that can at least compete at Alabamas level. Just looking at the ACC as a whole, most schools are competitive against the rest of the ACc and we will be , but most schools will not be at Clemson's level. And really how is it fun to just steamroll every team you play .
It used to be FSU that was the dominant team. These things go in cycles and someday dabo will be gone just like Bowden is gone. The guy following a legendary coach has a difficult job measuring up and usually doesn't.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I am guessing you are a young fan with a short memory. Clemson is on a great run, but we still have an all time winning record against them. As the poster above says, these things are cyclical over the long term. FSU and to an extent VT have had some dominant runs while Clemson was more of a 7-8 win type program before Dabo got there. You can't make long term decisions based on short term trends.

slugboy

Staff member
I am guessing you are a young fan with a short memory. Clemson is on a great run, but we still have an all time winning record against them. As the poster above says, these things are cyclical over the long term. FSU and to an extent VT have had some dominant runs while Clemson was more of a 7-8 win type program before Dabo got there. You can't make long term decisions based on short term trends.
The Big East used to be a good conference, and Miami was almost the Clemson of their day—always in the title hunt. (I’ve never seen two programs like Alabama and Clemson over the past 5 years, but Miami and Notre Dame were recurring rivals for the Natty in their day)

Miami moved into the ACC with VT, and the football Big East fell apart. The ACC was supposed to be a new super conference.

Cycles happen.

Also, letting your best team leave the conference is a bad idea. The good idea is to work your way up to competing

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It used to be FSU that was the dominant team. These things go in cycles and someday dabo will be gone just like Bowden is gone. The guy following a legendary coach has a difficult job measuring up and usually doesn't.
FSU’s demise was self-inflicted. The administration refused to invest in Upgrading facilities and Jimbo was gone.

Alabama has dominated college football for a century because it’s central to their identity.

The stratification of D1 will only continue ... as the Top 10 programs are just that much better than everyone else.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

We are in a completely new era of college football. I would argue that anything prior to 2010 is ancient history.

SA’s today are working on developing HUGE social media followings before they even get to college which they hope to then accelerate. Why? Because they can monetize it on graduation (and now, if not sooner if the rules change.) Trevor Lawrence is valued at over $1 million today just on NIL.

That means high quality athletes are going to go where the fan volume is, the merchandising, and the publicity.

The game isn’t sports anymore. It’s entertainment. And big money. This is why you see the same programs getting bigger and stronger and it will continue ...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind not all dominating is the same. Clemson is at a high point of even high points, in large part because of Lawrence. The year before him they were a playoff team, but lost to Cuse, and had several games where they looked weaker in wins (28-14 against Wake, 38-31 against NCSU, 24-10 against us). In 2016 when they won the title they lost to Pitt, needed OT against NCSU, and had 3 other one possession wins against ACC teams, and a one possession win against Troy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Even more idiotic with how long Dabo has left Lawrence in games this year. Maybe he’ll finally learn.
He has routinely pulled him after the first series of the second half. If he plays him less than that there is no reason for him to have played at Clemson. The backup got dinked in practices. The No. 3 got hurt after two series in the second half. (Maybe he should just play one series?) Try recruiting a 5-star by telling him he will get one quarter a game. Good luck with that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We are in a completely new era of college football. I would argue that anything prior to 2010 is ancient history.

SA’s today are working on developing HUGE social media followings before they even get to college which they hope to then accelerate. Why? Because they can monetize it on graduation (and now, if not sooner if the rules change.) Trevor Lawrence is valued at over $1 million today just on NIL.

That means high quality athletes are going to go where the fan volume is, the merchandising, and the publicity.

The game isn’t sports anymore. It’s entertainment. And big money. This is why you see the same programs getting bigger and stronger and it will continue ...

I agree with a lot of this. And I think Geoff Collins would, as well, with his focus on branding and taking advantage of a major market.

That said, Clemson and even Bama are one bad coaching hire away from at least a temporary decline, IMO. And there are always rule changes with the potential for unintended consequences. We could have another round of realignment. There could be lasting impacts from this covid season we don't know about yet.

I just don't think everything is completely set in stone.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
But look at the positive side. He loves the players. Unlike other head coaches.
By the way, and this is purely subjective and personal and has nothing to do with coaching.

Collins does not look like a coach on the sideline. He just doesn't. He looks like a chunky strength coach handed a headset who will choke if he shows any enthusiasm. Like I said, it is personal. I just think the head ball coach should really be invested on the field, up to an including yelling at his players and if necessary grabbing 'em by the jersey to show his passion. (I have seen Swinney chase a player down the sideline all the way to the 20 to dress him down while the player is frantically pretending to not hear him and escape.)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

And, this is why I believed that if GT was going to occasionally make inroads into competing at this high level, we had to do it with innovation. In other words, do something much different than what the "big boys" are doing. So, that is why I have been so reticent with my support for our current plan - it is not "thinking out of the box" - it is trying to do what other "non-STEM" schools do.

And, in my mind, the best to expect is what Chan was able to do, and I am not sure that now (in today's big $$ environment) we can even get there, but we will see.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with a lot of this. And I think Geoff Collins would, as well, with his focus on branding and taking advantage of a major market.

That said, Clemson and even Bama are one bad coaching hire away from at least a temporary decline, IMO. And there are always rule changes with the potential for unintended consequences. We could have another round of realignment. There could be lasting impacts from this covid season we don't know about yet.

I just don't think everything is completely set in stone.
I wonder if Dabo will be the next Bama coach.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I guess it is possible, but Dabo will continue to be a football "god" for Clemson. If he comes to Bammer, he would be following their "god". I think he is pretty smart, and for a head coach, has some humility about him, so I believe he will most likely stay where he is.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would he want it? He’s built his own kingdom at Clemson and could retire there if he wants. The level that Clemson has achieved is credited to Dabo and pretty much Dabo alone. He can have whatever he wants for the program if he says it’s needed. He’s a god there and will be. He’s their Bobby Bowden.
If you go into Bama as Saban’s replacement, those are extremely lofty shoes to fill. There’s literally no level of success you could have that’s not expected after the bar that’s been set by Saban. Win 4 national titles in a decade in the toughest conference in football...that’s just continuing what Saban did. And anything less would probably get you run out of town. Seems like a lose-lose all the way around for Dabo to take over after Saban.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
And, this is why I believed that if GT was going to occasionally make inroads into competing at this high level, we had to do it with innovation. In other words, do something much different than what the "big boys" are doing. So, that is why I have been so reticent with my support for our current plan - it is not "thinking out of the box" - it is trying to do what other "non-STEM" schools do.

And, in my mind, the best to expect is what Chan was able to do, and I am not sure that now (in today's big $$ environment) we can even get there, but we will see.

So we are going off on a tangent but I guess that's okay in a "postgame" thread.

Here's the thing: Doing things much different than the big boys on the field was only widening the gap between them and us. Also, Collins is ahead of the curve with his marketing stuff, so I think one would be mistaken to say he is simply doing what other schools do. We'll see how it works out. To me, the biggest challenge is going to be finding the money to hire the additional staff and top flight coordinators we are going to need.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So we are going off on a tangent but I guess that's okay in a "postgame" thread.

Here's the thing: Doing things much different than the big boys on the field was only widening the gap between them and us. Also, Collins is ahead of the curve with his marketing stuff, so I think one would be mistaken to say he is simply doing what other schools do. We'll see how it works out. To me, the biggest challenge is going to be finding the money to hire the additional staff and top flight coordinators we are going to need.

That is an opinion that so far is being proven massively wrong . From a marketing perspective. That is only one of the 4 legs you need to keep your chair from falling over.

I still think he needs to be given 2-3 more years but the odds of him turning his poor initial start around is getting increasing lower by each new record he breaks.