Clemson Post-game Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is probably correct. Way too many of the old-timers back then were obsessed with hiring a "Tech man". That same mentality still exists, since there was such a big lobby to hire Whiz, when we hired Collins.
Curry projected the image of Tech the old alums wanted, but he was already out of sync with the current environment. It worked for a bit, but that approach was going out of vogue. The young athletes were very different than the previous generation and Curry was slow to realize the generational change.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Curry projected the image of Tech the old alums wanted, but he was already out of sync with the current environment. It worked for a bit, but that approach was going out of vogue. The young athletes were very different than the previous generation and Curry was slow to realize the generational change.
Curry was 39 at the time. I thought well of him but ... he couldn’t coach. Dodd tutored him after each game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree. And Dodd's era was history. In relation to the world as it was, Curry was an old man.
Curry graduated from high school in 1959. He was a great HS athlete in an era with no black athletes as competitors or teammates. That was the same as a Tech athlete. The world was a different place by the time he was named HC at Tech.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Those pups are 5* and were #1 at their respective position

Myles Murphy and Trent Simpson put on a clinic
I was talking about the mop up duty guys because a bunch of people keep saying how Clemson was running the score up.

No denying those two are the truth.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I see it the other way I’m embarrassed that people are seeing positivity from this staff. Let me give you some highlights in the last 17 games
1) Lost to FCS school at home
2) worst loss in Clean, old, fashion, hate history
3) worst Loss in Clemson history
4) Worst Home loss in school history
4) Worst loss in ACC History

And some on here say we are making progress.

People see what they want to see. You obviously want to see failure.

Let me give you some data that helps explain how we got here:

1. We were 24-25 in the 4 years leading up to Collins coming in.
2. Collins made a decision (rightfully so IMO) to fully transition to the new offensive scheme.
3. Collins inherited an undersized line that had to be taught how to block for this system, a QB who is now playing corner, WRs that had to be taught how to play the position, a young undersized DL, and kickers that can’t make an extra point.
4. Undersized OL experienced a rash of injuries leading to starting walk-ons out of necessity. Ranked the worst OL in all of college football.
5. QB carrousel out of necessity in year one which led to...
6. Having to start a true freshman (who will be special) at QB this year.
7. Rash of injuries in and already young and thin DL.
8. No depth at LB.

All of the things you listed can happen and there still be progress. Watch the games. Every game (outside of Clemson) we have shown flashes of improvement. Moreso on offense than defense, but still improvement.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Spurrier left one year before Curry bailed. If he had stayed that one year, I would hope he would have been hired as HC. But to go after him after he had only been at Duke for one year was likely considered not to be a proper move.

Probably wasn't the correct move at the time, but was hiring someone with 2 years at Temple? Just asking for a friend. :)

2. Collins made a decision (rightfully so IMO) to fully transition to the new offensive scheme.
3. Collins inherited an undersized line that had to be taught how to block for this system, a QB who is now playing corner, WRs that had to be taught how to play the position, a young undersized DL, and kickers that can’t make an extra point.
4. Undersized OL experienced a rash of injuries leading to starting walk-ons out of necessity. Ranked the worst OL in all of college football.
8. No depth at LB.

All of the things you listed can happen and there still be progress. Watch the games. Every game (outside of Clemson) we have shown flashes of improvement. Moreso on offense than defense, but still improvement.
Interesting to pick the data point of 4 years let's pick 3 we were 21 and 16 a Gator bowl win. Or pi ck 5 32 and 19. Also both kickers from 2018 left or were run off. They played in 2019 and made kicks.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Decisions have consequences....

The 2016 season was a memorable one for the Black Knights under Monken. He led them to their first win over Navy since 2001 and a victory in a bowl game. The last time the Black Knights accomplished both feats in the same season was in 1984. Army was second in the nation in rushing offense and ran for a then Academy single-season 46 touchdowns, which eclipsed the 1945 national championship team. Defensively, Army was consistently in the Top-10 in total defense and closed out the year fourth in the nation.

In 2017 Monken led Army to its most successful season in over two decades, earning 10 victories, the Commander in Chief’s Trophy and a victory in the Armed Forces Bowl. The Black Knights won the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision rushing title by averaging 362.3 rushing yards per game and finished with 50 rushing touchdowns, which broke the program record. On the other side of the ball, Army was third in the nation in red zone defense and 14th against the pass. The Black Knights held opponents to 22 points per game and ended Air Force’s 306-game scoring streak with a 21-0 victory at Falcon Stadium. It was the first shutout against a service academy since 1969.

In 2018 Monken led the Cadets to a historic year as his squad became nationally ranked in early November for the first time in 22 years (1996). They remained in the Top-25 throughout the rest of the season and finished ranked No. 19 in the Associated Press Poll and No. 20 in the Amway Coaches Poll. The year was highlighted by a program-record 11 wins, marking the first time in Academy history the Black Knights registered 10-plus wins in back-to-back seasons. Army also won the Commander In Chief’s trophy in consecutive seasons for the first time in program lore. The Black Knights became the first three-time winner of the Armed Forces Bowl as well that season after they routed Houston, 70-14, on Dec. 22. The 70 points put up by Army in that contest tied an FBS record for points scored in a bowl game.

Now, switch to Geoff Collins.

7-6 in 2017
8-4 in 2018
3-9 in 2019 with Georgia Tech
2-3 this year with Georgia Tech

20-22 overall record.

It's not even a comparison who is a better football coach between Monken and Collins.... Experience favors Monken, results favor Monken, ability favors Monken, ease of transition favors Monken.. There was nothing Geoff Collins had to make him a better pick than Monken. Nothing. Not a single thing.

Georgia Tech is now to the ACC what Kansas is to the Big 12. Losing to the Citadel.... 1-4 Syracuse teams... Losing 50-0 to Virginia Tech... Losing 70-something to 7 in a game. That is Kansas stuff. That is "we can barely snap the football" stuff.

Rant over.
Army is 0-47 in its last 47 games against ranked teams. Reason Monken and triple option gurus coach there. If Triple Option was able to be ran without a Paul Johnson type coach other teams would do it but it’s not. Paul was the only exception and he retired.

GTFLETCH

Banned

8. No depth at LB.

I call BS... As I watched the Syracuse game and there was not this great improvement... You are also forgetting about all these transfers that CGC brought with him...
5 star DE
4 Star WR
4 Star DB ( 3 of them)
(so I am not even talking about the young recruits)

So CGC taks a 500 triple option team and he loses to a FCS school and gets shut out by VT 45-0 in year 1.... With all of his transfers playing this year they lose to a god awful Syracuse team and get blown out by Clemson and the defense gives up the most point since the 1894 game where Auburn put up 94.

TBH the only improvement I am seeing is in recruiting, but the coaching is pretty piss poor...Bill Lewis level ****.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting to pick the data point of 4 years let's pick 3 we were 21 and 16 a Gator bowl win. Or pi ck 5 32 and 19. Also both kickers from 2018 left or were run off. They played in 2019 and made kicks.

1st, can you explain how adding an extra year takes away 6 losses?

2nd, 5 of those wins if we used 3 years were against Alcott state, bowling green, ga southern (tried to lose this one), wake and Vandy.

3rd, point remains, we were below average ACC team that ran a specialized offense that couldn’t recruit the type of players needed to run the offense we currently run. Point and fact Duke owner is by the time Collins got here.

4th, those kickers had every opportunity to kick and blew it. King was never consistent and Wells got the yips.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech got the worst drubbing in a century and folks are blaming CPJ. SMH

This is year two folks, and Geof Collins is our coach and his staff are the ones developing our players now. I am extremely disappointed in what happened on Saturday which is the worst but kicking I have seen of a Tech team that I can recall. Notre Dame in the 70s may be as bad, but by the second half and sitting in flash cards, I had way too much to drink and thankfully forgot the outcomes.

A couple of questions.

Do any of the old guys think there is any similarity between Pepper and Geof?

Is there a link to CGC's after game press conference? Or was there one?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
We were the subject of a ton of jokes this weekend.... This isn’t great.

Attachments

• 2AD9DB61-668C-45EB-A04C-30B18254CF31.jpeg
    2AD9DB61-668C-45EB-A04C-30B18254CF31.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 121

Deleted member 2897

BTW, if you’re not sure where all this “****ting on players stuff is” (because there isn’t much here), just go look on Georgia Tech Football’s Instagram page. It’s a mile long (300+ comments) full of comments denigrating our guys and horse**** comments.

If I were GT Football or any similar page, I would block them all.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
BTW, if you’re not sure where all this “****ting on players stuff is” (because there isn’t much here), just go look on Georgia Tech Football’s Instagram page. It’s a mile long (300+ comments) full of comments denigrating our guys and horse**** comments.

If I were GT Football or any similar page, I would block them all.

That is the most despicable and cowardly thing to do (although some would argue for freedom of speech I suppose). Just curious, on Instagram do people use their real names or is it psuedonyms like here or the other GT message boards? I guess I would find it a little more tolerable if people are expressing themselves under their real names. But to disparage someone anonomously is just low down. Especially people that are not yet full grown adults.