Clemson Post-game Thread

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It was really bad and I do think the coaches were overmatched. But I am firmly convinced the Dabo running it up is all about recruiting. 50 points scored would have easily held the number one ranking. The 73 was to proof to recruits it is a waste of time to consider GT. He recruits heavily in GA and couldn't have been happy Collins was getting interest from 4 stars.

If I was Collins i would point out it took Dabo several years to get Clemson where they are today. Key is every school is on TV today, good players get recruited in the NFL no matter what programming they are playing for and 4 stars have a chance to play at GT year one....highly unlikely at Clemson or Georgia.
Enough with the running up stuff. It was their back ups in there. They didn't have Trevor Lawrence in there in the second half nor most if not all the starters.

He may hav

I don't think he had head coaching experience at that point. That could have been a great hire. Look what he did at Duke. Spurrier had been an assistant coach at Tech but I forget exactly when. May have been Carson or fulcher era. Some of his original duke players said when he first met with the team he looked around the room and then said" I can win with you guys." Then he did.
Spurrier left one year before Curry bailed. If he had stayed that one year, I would hope he would have been hired as HC. But to go after him after he had only been at Duke for one year was likely considered not to be a proper move.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Enough with the running up stuff. It was their back ups in there. They didn't have Trevor Lawrence in there in the second half nor most if not all the starters.
It was their back ups, but they went for it on 4th down twice when they were up by 52 points in the 3Q and 4Q. They threw 22 passes in the 2nd half when they were up by 45 at the half. It’s Tech’s job to stop them, but they had no interest in slowing down their offense, regardless of whether or not they had back ups in. Throwing passes with your punter is one of the most disrespectful things you can do in a football game.

By comparison, they took Lawrence out with 10 minutes left in the 2Q against the Citadel when they were up 42-0. They only threw 15 passes against The Citadel in the 2nd half.

They took Lawrence out with 3 minutes left in the 3Q against Wake forest up 37-3. They threw 12 passes in the 2nd half against Wake.

I don’t know why, but this game was personal for Dabo. He deliberately ran up the score. They almost threw as many 2nd half passes against Tech as they did against The Citadel and Wake combined. It doesn’t matter who’s playing QB when you’re running pass plays designed for quick completions, which is what they did with their punter. They also didn’t go for it on 4th down in the 2nd half against any of their other opponents. They did it twice against Tech.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, that game was a disgrace. I expected to lose and they are (probably) the bet team in the country, but to lose by - gimme a minute - yes, 66 points to a conference rival? That's the worst home conference defeat in Tech history.

The Good:

You have GOT to be kidding.
Oh, I forgot! We didn't have a place kick blocked!

The Bad:

• I think it is now evident that Sims can't throw a deep ball very well. He had Brown 2 yards ahead of a Clemson DB with plenty of time to throw (for once) and overthrew him by 3 yards. He has the arm; he's not making the throws. And Brown disappears as an offensive weapon for another game.
• The OL is better, but it isn't that good. They weren't blitzing too much and still had consistent pressure. And 13 TFLs and 5 sacks. That's 13 TFLs. 13. Thirteen. 10 + 3. Oh, and we only rushed for 81 yards net as a result.
• The DBs can't cover long routes by decent skill players. Expect other teams to take notice and … Bombs Away! We did intercept the ball so I guess that's something.
• Some may have expected me to lead with Sims giving them 14 points. Not me. That's what freshmen QBs do. Not that it shouldn't be on the list.
• The DL gets a semi-pass. We have a lot of people out there. Still, the Tigger OL didn't have a whole bunch of trouble; we had 5 TFLs and 2 sacks. And they had 500 years passing the ball. This was largely because Lawrence consistently dropped back, called Jersey Joe's, got his meatball sub delivered on the field by Grubhub, ate it, burped, then threw the ball. I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Overall, I was glad I gave my tickets up and sent the money to the Swarm Fund. I couldn't have stood being in the stands for this one.

Well, it'll take awhile to get over being whipped like that, despite all the "it's only one game" stuff above. I hope the team can recover in time to take on the Eagles. We can beat those guys. Will we, is the question.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but not sure why. I recall that Dabo and CPJ were very good friends. I don’t see him doing this if CPJ was the coach.
I wondered about that. Dabo and Paul (Dabo always called him that, btw) were good friends and there's no doubt he would have called off the dogs with Paul on the other sideline.

My guess = he doesn't care one bit about hurting Collins's feelings and wanted to run up a big score against a team with a winning ACC record. It's like Rick Leach always says, "It's our job to score; it's their job to stop us." There might be some personal animosity there, but I doubt it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It was their back ups, but they went for it on 4th down twice when they were up by 52 points in the 3Q and 4Q. They threw 22 passes in the 2nd half when they were up by 45 at the half. It’s Tech’s job to stop them, but they had no interest in slowing down their offense, regardless of whether or not they had back ups in. Throwing passes with your punter is one of the most disrespectful things you can do in a football game.

By comparison, they took Lawrence out with 10 minutes left in the 2Q against the Citadel when they were up 42-0. They only threw 15 passes against The Citadel in the 2nd half.

They took Lawrence out with 3 minutes left in the 3Q against Wake forest up 37-3. They threw 12 passes in the 2nd half against Wake.

I don’t know why, but this game was personal for Dabo. He deliberately ran up the score. They almost threw as many 2nd half passes against Tech as they did against The Citadel and Wake combined. It doesn’t matter who’s playing QB when you’re running pass plays designed for quick completions, which is what they did with their punter. They also didn’t go for it on 4th down in the 2nd half against any of their other opponents. They did it twice against Tech.
Maybe the thought process was that or starters could stop their 4th string and give their backups a more difficult task to stop out o.

So you are comparing is to the Citadel now? (I'm only joking I know you're not). But really it can be seen as then giving us a chance to take advantage of their risky plays especially their backups v our starters. Sad that we couldn't stop that.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, but not sure why. I recall that Dabo and CPJ were very good friends. I don’t see him doing this if CPJ was the coach.

Sometimes, people just rub each other wrong and it’s a mess. See Lewanski and Clinton.

Agree, as a former presidential candidate once quipped “at this point what does it matter anyway” ?

Maybe it was the ghost of Heisman embodied in Dabo, who also hung exactly 73 on GT 117 years ago!! I think that would make a great new discussion thread, something to the extent of “Conspiracy Theories why Dabo hung 73”. You could move about half of the posts on this thread over there!!

1603059888728.jpeg

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It kind of makes me sad that something that took years off of my life is now not still part of the GT experience. It was different, it was intense, and it was a "shaft", but when you "got out", you knew you had something that many people would never, ever be able to get.
Just think about it like this — the kids going to Tech nowadays don’t get the shaft, but if you were applying to get in to Tech against these same kids, you likely wouldn’t have gotten in.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
THIS. This is what the team should focus on. If we win 6 or 7 games, a 24-23 loss to Clemson or a 73-7 loss to Clemson still only counts as 1 loss. This is a crazy year with COVID and injuries and everything else. If we play like we have a couple times we can win a lot more games.
Also a couple of OL jumped ship! Hanson and Cochran. Also Cooper has not played much at all. And he would have been another starter!!

Sometimes, people just rub each other wrong and it’s a mess. See Lewanski and Clinton.
I agree. I don't think he would have ever done this against CPJ. I guess he has some kind of animus against Collins, but not sure why or what it might be due to.

Spurrier was on Pepper's last staff and was in the final 3 interviewed in New Orleans.
OK, so we hired Curry instead of Spurrier. I just had the coaching progression wrong. Nevertheless, either some people at Tech just flat didn't like Spurrier, or they figured, in spite of interviewing him, that it was too soon after he had gone to another school. At least that's the way I remember it. We sure would have been better off from the start with Spurrier than we were with Curry.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was interviewed for the job. He was ready to leave Navy. We went with a Tech man. Ended up he went to UVA and turned them into a top program from a doormat. Heard he wanted to be given some exceptions and the hill was not as accomodating as they have become. That may have been a deal breaker.
I think that was Tom O'Brian .

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
OK, so we hired Curry instead of Spurrier. I just had the coaching progression wrong. Nevertheless, either some people at Tech just flat didn't like Spurrier, or they figured, in spite of interviewing him, that it was too soon after he had gone to another school. At least that's the way I remember it. We sure would have been better off from the start with Spurrier than we were with Curry.
I was told that Curry won the interview by a big margin against the other two.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was under the impression that Spurrier wanted the job that Curry got.
Yes, he did which is why he was so vindictive towards Tech while he was at Duke. Imagine that, the job at Tech was routinely, in those years, thought to be among the very worst in Division 1 with all kinds of pitfalls and challenges ranging from recruiting restrictions to downright hostility towards football from the Hill to abysmal facilities that were the worst in the country, was still seen as a prized job among certain coaches. Spurrier and George would have made excellent coaches for Tech but they would have been feuding with the Hill in nothing flat.

So back in Colorado.
Not going to dwell on this disaster this weekend because it was. But I have questions and concerns

1. We entered this year with 18 returning starters. People say we are young but how if you have 18 returning starters. We chose to play a Freshman at QB and Mason's injury forced us to play a Freshman at RB. But where are some really good players, BJS, Tobias, Jerry Howard, James Graham. One might say the young guys are better but is that true when we add back in age and experience
2. Why did Lee Transfer, this guy has been a player for us?
3. I think Clemson had 20 possessions, 3 turnover's so they scored on 11 possessions, that is north of 50%. Why in the world would we run any kind of hurry up offense? It isn't like we are going to wear them down. Slow down, make each possession at least 3 minutes.
4. As I sate many times, our offense is plain Vanilla, NFL style. Clemson was able to just T-off on anything we did. Maybe incorporate some Jets, Option etc....oh that's right we can't recruit NFL caliber if we do that.

I think CGC will need to make a very big decision about his offense at the end of the season and CDP may need to go.

Oh and with any comment about how good Clemson is....They beat the Citadel 49-0 and Lawrence played into the 3rd quarter of that game.